Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2008, 14:32   #31

[quote=Pelagic;135778] They had tacked North to get into the lee of NZ before turning East again, were doing over 30 knots in better seas….[/quote]

Thanks for that Pelagic.

Maybe helps confirm Tnflakbaits comment about tris being light weather boats as I have not heard of any of the many cats that have done the Southern Ocean circumnavigation that has done the same. Although The Race did, and some of the monohull events now make passage through Cook Strait mandatory to keep the boats out of the far south.

When Blake and Quilter (think it was Quilter with him) did the circumnavigation of Australia record in the Steinlager tri some time back now (so an oldish design) they made no secret of the fact that the boat scared the crap out of them whereas Blake seemed to have no qualms doing the Jules Verne in the Enza cat (twice, withdrew with damage first time).

As another has said, I also do not know of any of the big racing cats capsizing in the Southern Ocean (but maybe they have), the news making capsizes have been monos. Quite some time ago a friend of mine rescued the crew of a racing tri off Cape Horn that had capsized and the seas were so big they had flipped it upright again. My friend's ship was tasked for the rescue and found it at night in a snow storm by pure good luck as they nearly ran it down without seeing it - one of the crew saw the tri go by along the side of the ship).
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 17:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnflakbait View Post
Orange II still reigns supreme. To me these events prove cats are more durable than tris in Heavy seas. Tris may be faster in lighter winds.

The boss of ocean racing:

Kind of echos your sentiment?
Which do you think is better, a cat or a tri?

More Multiplast
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 17:56   #33

I dont think you can generalize about cat's vs tri's like that. These boats aren't built like cruising boats, where everything tends to be overbuilt by huge margins - these boats are built as light as the designers think they can get away with. Sometimes it proves to have been just a bit too light. The Maxi cat Team Phillips, which broke up during sea trials in the Atlantic is another example of this.

These boats are virtually the ocean going equivalent of formula one cars, and they sometimes record a DNF.

At the present it seems the tris are generally faster, in most conditions. Groupama has already broken some of Orange 11's records, and was ahead of their circumnavigation record when this happened. Maybe just a few more kilo's of carbon/epoxy would have made the difference between this failure, and a new record.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:05   #34

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I dont think you can generalize about cat's vs tri's like that. These boats aren't built like cruising boats, where everything tends to be overbuilt by huge margins - these boats are built as light as the designers think they can get away with. Sometimes it proves to have been just a bit too light. The Maxi cat Team Phillips, which broke up during sea trials in the Atlantic is another example of this.

These boats are virtually the ocean going equivalent of formula one cars, and they sometimes record a DNF.

At the present it seems the tris are generally faster, in most conditions. Groupama has already broken some of Orange 11's records, and was ahead of their circumnavigation record when this happened. Maybe just a few more kilo's of carbon/epoxy would have made the difference between this failure, and a new record.
You are right you can't generalize. This just happens to be the current situation: A cat has the round the world record. And, I believe they did a significant portion of it with one rudder. It does seem like the tris are faster. But you have to finish to win a race.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:09   #35

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Kind of echos your sentiment?
Which do you think is better, a cat or a tri?

More Multiplast
Very true Joli.
Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:18   #36

Boat: Samson 39 Encore
Wheels,
Either more glue or they didn't wash that amine blush off before they applied the next coat. (Sorry, couldn't resist that)
Ellis
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 19:37   #37

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:

Heres a pic of Groupama taken a while back.

Not sure if it is the same model as this one though, but obviously in need of the extra couple of kg of epoxy/glass/carbon in this area.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Groupama%20showing%20her%20carbon.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2733  
Old 19-02-2008, 20:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnflakbait View Post
You are right you can't generalize. This just happens to be the current situation: A cat has the round the world record. And, I believe they did a significant portion of it with one rudder. It does seem like the tris are faster. But you have to finish to win a race.
I think it was the transatlantic record that Orange 11 finished with one rudder. That record has already fallen to Groupama 3, as has the 24hour record.

I prefer cats for cruising but I have to admit, for racing, tri's are faster. I expect one will break Orange 11's RTW record sometime soon. (Possibly not this summer though)

Let's face it, a SINGLEHANDED tri went pretty close.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 02:20   #39

Quote:
I dont think you can generalize about cat's vs tri's like that...

...At the present it seems the tris are generally faster, in most conditions.
So, what you are saying is that we can't make generalisations about cats vs tris but you can?

MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2008, 19:21   #40

Boat: Irwin sloop
She was turned rightside up on Sunday morning. The mast and port ama are badly damaged but the outward apearance of the rest of the boat isn't bad at all. The Groupama III website has a video of the righting. Jesse
Jesse Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:31   #41

Groupma 3 set the 24hr record at 897miles in also setting the TransAtlantic record, I believe, a month or so ago..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote