Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2013, 06:15   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
well i always think the planning involved in dealing with customs and immigration looks pretty damn small compared to the planning involved in getting a bloody boat organised for an ocean crossing - that free-spirited stuff goes out the window pretty early on
LOL... you sound like the folks in Oriental when I was getting my Hunter 37C together...
They were convinced I was 'Dead Man Walking'.....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2013, 10:59   #32

Boat: wharram tiki 26
Re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

Quote:
well i always think the planning involved in dealing with customs and immigration looks pretty damn small compared to the planning involved in getting a bloody boat organised for an ocean crossing - that free-spirited stuff goes out the window pretty early on
Yes there is that. But as Boatman alluded to there was the small matter of building the catamaran first. Fielding all the naysayers crap etc. This took some planning and lots of itchy and scratchy times.

Honestly you have no Idea how much beuarocrtatic B.S. the Aussie gov. has thrown my way.The money and angst, for what should from my point of view be a fairly straight forward process. So when I started this thread it may have been construed that I wanted to ignore all rules and regs and do as I please.This is not so, but sometimes doing the right thing seems to be more of PITA than it is worth regarding the formalities.

And this is where the problem lies, ie boat seizure, jail etc. All for the lack of a bit of paper work. Which should be a lot less effort than getting a boat across the sea.

I am not bitchin' here saying poor old me, I made the decision to build the catamaran on a temporary visa, against what all the naysayers said. I am glad I did as I now have a lovely catamaran that will take me where I want to go.If i had taken sage advice and waited for visa certainty, I am pretty sure I would have squandered the money for the build on the usual crap.
salticrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 22:14   #33

Glen Tieman a bloke who also has a free spirit and does it on the cheap.

Life on the Sea on Vimeo
Old 06-06-2013, 19:33   #34

Ontong Java, new name new owners, new adventures.
Mareva’s Maiden Voyage | memoirs of missions, ventures, voyages, sojourns and other vagabondage
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43   #35

Here is another voyaging blog I have been following. This guys writing is wonderful, so too his sense of adventure. Enjoy.

2011 | Grillabongquixotic's Blog
Old 08-06-2013, 11:52   #36

Boat: Seafarer 38
Free and sailing are not two words that often go together...
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 13:01   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
cool!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 13:55   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Asked a Filipino if their word "mamaya" was the same as the Spanish "mañana". He said that the Filipinos don't have a word that expresses such urgency!
Lol - a bit like Thailand then

Always remained frustrating (at times), even after I realised that it was me who was wrong.....and took a longgg time for that penny to drop ....no point wasting time and energy thinking ahead when you might well not be here, as well as tending towards "putting things into the bank" by sharing amongst family and freinds now (even to the detriment of later) because a) always someone needs something and b) one day very likely it will be you who needs to withdraw from the bank (of family and friends).

But on the upside, poor brown people look good in holiday snaps , can even confuse them with folks livin' da dream .

I wonder what this thread was originally about - me too lazy to check back .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 14:02   #39

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
G'day all

I have been reading a few tales about people who have sailed to distant lands, with little or no money.

Their joy sheer of living a life that is not tied down by rules and regulations is obvious. (...)
Well, we have sailed to distant lands, with little money (whatever this might mean) and I can't remember meeting a single crew who did the same 'not tied down by rules and regulations'.

If the rules and regulations are there, whether rich or poor, one must stick to them, or else they do not get very far.

Neither is it obvious to me why living a life not tied by rules and regulations should generate sheer joy. The way I see things some people have joy others do not, not something resulting from living any particular lifestyle.

('Tales' is the key word, isn't it.)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 19:27   #40

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Free Spirited Sailing Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Neither is it obvious to me why living a life not tied by rules and regulations should generate sheer joy. The way I see things some people have joy others do not, not something resulting from living any particular lifestyle. b.

I second that. We all sorta make fun of the wokaday guys. We shouldn't. They're doing what they want too.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 21:06   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: TBD: Graphene reinforced amines, ideally around 14 metres.

Quote:
Spot on. I don't care how poor but free spirited you are, the rules of physics can't be ignored, and are much more unforgiving than any bureaucracy.

Sailing does not equal freedom from responsibility, it equals freedom to choose what hard work and responsibility you wish to direct your energy towards.
Aargau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 23:24   #42

Well you see maybe it's just me then...I long for a time when things were less complicated and the hoops not so numerous to jump through.

We have rules and regs for the orderly running of a system/society we live in. And if you are a regular Joe these apply to you. only the rich and powerful can insulate themselves from the rules if they are smart and have connections.

A joker holds up a gas station gets caught and imprisoned. A bloody bunch of bankers gamble and loose other peoples money, they get given more money.Regardless of the world wide consequences of their sheer greed.

We have been conditioned to accept authority. To be seen to be doing the right thing is now almost taken up with a saintly zeal by the regular Joes.

If the system is broke and you follow the rules and regs of that system to the nth degree what does that say about you?

As for free spirited sailors, believe me they exist, they just do not appear on any sailing forums, which is sad in a way.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

(...)

We have rules and regs for the orderly running of a system/society we live in.

A joker holds up a gas station (...) A (...) bunch of bankers gamble and loose other peoples money, (...)

We have been conditioned to accept authority. To be seen to be doing the right thing is now almost taken up with a saintly zeal by the regular Joes.

If the system is broke and you follow the rules and regs of that system to the nth degree what does that say about you?

As for free spirited sailors, believe me they exist, they just do not appear on any sailing forums.
Free spirited sailors sure exist. I know some.

They obey gravity, as everybody else. Also the rich, in their anti-gravity suits.

We have been conditioned. Some have un-conditioned themselves (mostly by conditioning themselves to a different set of conditions . Anarchy is the alternative. Have your pick. Call it human nature.

IF a system is broke and you follow its rules, well, it all depends on what system it is.

'Love, peace, quality' systems are broke, IF anybody follows these rules I say they are good and wise people.

A spade is a spade. The free and the spirited obey the rules just like me and you.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46   #44

@ b. A very thoughtful response.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48   #45

Boat: Still Dreaming of the Day
Quote:
@ b. A very thoughtful response.
Sorry to hijack this forum topic, but I am new to the site and for the life of me I can't figure out how to post a new topic.... I only seem to have been able to respond to things. What am I doing wrong? Sorry to be so stupid.....
Alabama Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing