Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
For experienced sailors ...

As some of you may know, I am writing a book about extended cruising based on the experiences of those who have done it (or are doing it). I tried to use a fairly detailed questionnaire to collect data but that did not work very well although I will use the data I did collect. I have decided to ask just a few questions (below) and hope to get more responses. If you have sailed more than 10,000 miles offshore or have crossed an ocean, on you own boat, I would appreciate your answers to the following questions. Feel free to skip questions if you like. You can answer in a PM to me, or just in a reply to this thread. Others might be very interested to hear what you have to say.

1. What model of boat did you use (are you using)? When was it built?

2. If you could make one change to this boat, what would it be?

3. Assume you cannot choose your own boat, what other boat of similar cost would you choose for long-distance cruising?

4. If money were not an object for either getting the boat or operating it, what boat would you choose for long-distance cruising?

5. How many offshore miles do you have with your own boat?

6. Please give one or more hints - things that you wish you had known when you were starting out cruising. These can be about boat choice, philosophy, destinations, crewing, food - you name it. Please give as many as you like.

---

Sample answers for me -
Bristol 45.5, 1982
Make internal systems, particularly wiring and tanks, more accessible as on the Niagara 35 I had previously
3. Assume you cannot choose your own boat, what other boat of similar cost would you choose for long-distance cruising?
Little Harbor 44 although it is somewhat more expensive
4. If money were not an object for either getting the boat or operating it, what boat would you choose for long-distance cruising?
New Amel although the admiral would love a catamaran in the 45 to 50 foot range (I did say money was not a problem.
6. Please give one or more hints - things that you wish you had known when you were starting out cruising. These can be about boat choice, philosophy, destinations, crewing, food - you name it. Please give as many as you like.
- You will never be all ready to go cruising.
- Your partner must be onside for the adventure, it must be a dream for both.
- There is always a wonderful surprise just around the corner.
- You can put up with worse weather and waves than you thought you could.

Thanks for the help.
Old 17-11-2012, 08:24   #2

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA
As some of you may know, I am writing a book about extended cruising based on the experiences of those who have done it (or are doing it). I tried to use a fairly detailed questionnaire to collect data but that did not work very well although I will use the data I did collect. I have decided to ask just a few questions (below) and hope to get more responses. If you have sailed more than 10,000 miles offshore or have crossed an ocean, on you own boat, I would appreciate your answers to the following questions. Feel free to skip questions if you like. You can answer in a PM to me, or just in a reply to this thread. Others might be very interested to hear what you have to say.

---

Sample answers for me -
Bristol 45.5, 1982
Make internal systems, particularly wiring and tanks, more accessible as on the Niagara 35 I had previously
Little Harbor 44 although it is somewhat more expensive
New Amel although the admiral would love a catamaran in the 45 to 50 foot range (I did say money was not a problem.
- You will never be all ready to go cruising.
- Your partner must be onside for the adventure, it must be a dream for both.
- There is always a wonderful surprise just around the corner.
- You can put up with worse weather and waves than you thought you could.

Thanks for the help.
4, Westsail 42 or a S&S Swan about 40 feet. I like traditional boats.
5. About 25,000
6. Keep systems simple. You don't need a lot of complex stuff. In fact, you don't need a lot of stuff, full stop.
- Provision with what you would normally eat on shore where possible. Everyone has different tastes, so don't worry too much about other people's lists. People have to eat everywhere, so you can usually get food anywhere.
- Very few places are as bad as people will tell you and most people are good if you treat them with consideration.
- look after your partner and be conscious of the effects of continual proximity on a relationship.

Cheers,
Jill
SV Daemon
currently in Richards Bay, South Africa
Old 17-11-2012, 20:15   #3

Re: For experienced sailors ...

Ahoy Ainia,

1) Our boat is a 1974 Westsail 32
2) I would maximize the unused space. Example: fresh water capacity could easily be 30 gallons more.
3) a Cape George 31 or 36 or perhaps a Cascade 36.
4) A Freya 39. Perhaps an Alajuela 38
5) 60,000+
6) We learned to carry less food. We have, pretty much, enjoyed everywhere we have visited. We prefer the well planned and executed voyage vs the open-ended "never have to return" type. At least for now.

Hope this is of some use to you. Good Luck.
oregonian
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 20:44   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Thanks for the replies, they are exactly the sort of things I was looking for. Jill, where are you in Richards Bay - by the oddest sort of coincidence we are also in RB on B dock at the yacht club. Small world.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 21:59   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

A couple of friends of mine are currently in RB on "Active Transport", A Tayana 37 hailed out of San Francisco.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 22:44   #6

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon
Wow, coincidence! We are on the International Wall by Tuzi Gazi, red and white Westsail called Daemon. We must meet up for a refreshing beverage.

We have heard Active Transport on Peri Peri Net checking in on the way here, but haven't seen them yet.