Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 09:59   #1
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Now based on Florida's West coast
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,442
Images: 5
Finding A Road to our Ancestors

The traditional Hawaiian canoe, Hokule'a, is presently attempting a circumnavigation of the world using ancient navigational techniques and to promote peace around the world. The Polynesians were great ancient navigators/sailors who settled and explored the Pacific after departing from mainland China and surrounding islands in the Orient around 4,000 years ago. The sailor in the following video is obviously emotionally connected to his people,their culture and past as he talks about the upcoming journey. How many of us Europeans can honestly say we have the same emotional connections to our ancestors and their traditions of sailing and discovery? Is this a price we have paid becoming enslaved to our modern world?
H
__________________

__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:11   #2
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,883
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

I think Icelanders, at least in my family, have maintained an emotional relationship with our past, even among those who no longer live in Iceland.
__________________

__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:27   #3
Registered User
 
rognvald's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Now based on Florida's West coast
Boat: Pearson 34-II
Posts: 2,442
Images: 5
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I think Icelanders, at least in my family, have maintained an emotional relationship with our past, even among those who no longer live in Iceland.

Hagl Astrid . . . Soster Viking!
__________________
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathrustra
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 10:39   #4
Registered User
 
Astrid's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Posts: 1,883
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

Hagl Rögnvaldr
__________________
'Tis evening on the moorland free,The starlit wave is still: Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill.
Astrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 11:12   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nicholasville, Kentucky
Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Posts: 14,193
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The traditional Hawaiian canoe, Hokule'a, is presently attempting a circumnavigation of the world using ancient navigational techniques and to promote peace around the world. The Polynesians were great ancient navigators/sailors who settled and explored the Pacific after departing from mainland China and surrounding islands in the Orient around 4,000 years ago. The sailor in the following video is obviously emotionally connected to his people,their culture and past as he talks about the upcoming journey. How many of us Europeans can honestly say we have the same emotional connections to our ancestors and their traditions of sailing and discovery? Is this a price we have paid becoming enslaved to our modern world?
H
Having lived here in Hawaii for the most part since '63 I see the passion a few folks express for their sailing canoes. I see no passion on the part of the Hawaii State Government or mainstream residents for boats and sailing or traditions of the sea. You can tell by looking at a google earth map and trying to find anchorages and marinas around the islands and then compare that to what you find in the Caribbean.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 17:42   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,686
Images: 5
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The traditional Hawaiian canoe, Hokule'a, is presently attempting a circumnavigation of the world using ancient navigational techniques and to promote peace around the world. ----
rognvald -
Do you have a link or source for information about that?
Thanks
__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:12   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
SkiprJohn's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nicholasville, Kentucky
Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Posts: 14,193
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
rognvald -
Do you have a link or source for information about that?
Thanks
The little H at the end of his post is a youtube link. Just do a search for HOKULEA to get lots more. I think it is a wonderful opportunity for those who wish to find their sailing roots.
__________________
John
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 18:14   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,686
Images: 5
Re: Finding A Road to our Ancestors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
The little H at the end of his post is a youtube link. Just do a search for HOKULEA to get lots more. I think it is a wonderful opportunity for those who wish to find their sailing roots.
Thanks, didn't even notice the H.
__________________

__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.