Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 12:54   #1

Boat: Bristol 34
Family Rescued off California Coast

Sailboat Rescue: Family of Four Rescued from Runaway Sailboat - ktla.com

First thing that came to mind when I watched the video was what my mom always told me about wearing clean underwear. I'll be sure and keep my boat clean and tidy just in case.......

Also, one has to wonder just what constitutes and emergency these days. Slipping your mooring? The news reported 6-8 foot seas and 30 knot wind gusts but the video indicated otherwise.

Oh well......
Old 21-03-2011, 13:03   #2

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re: Family rescued off California coast

note to self...put Deckscrub on the shopping list.

I have to agree that those did not look like emergency conditions ... at least for any vessel with working sails and/or an engine. OTOH, the way it looked, I suppose it's possible it had neither and was just a hulk they lived aboard, in which case breaking free of the mooring could be trouble.

Connemara
Old 21-03-2011, 13:07   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Good question, why didn't they just drive it back and reattach? Both the sails and the engine broke? Guests that don't know how to sail left on boat while owner goes shopping?
Old 21-03-2011, 13:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

30 - 40 knot winds I think not, unless this is the way the coastguard over report weather to justify something. There isn't even white horses. Finally why the high line lift when there is a fire boat alongside.

Still good training exercise I suppose.

Pete
Old 21-03-2011, 13:24   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean

So THAT's what 6-8' Californian looks like! I thought it was Florida.
Old 21-03-2011, 15:06   #6

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Somebody needs to get on a windsurfer and head out to the boat and get a salvage claim on it.
Old 21-03-2011, 15:34   #7

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Geeze... why didn't they just hail an fishing boat for a tow in or call sea tow... what a waste of tax dollars (except for the training value, but my guess these guys don't need that kind of training)...

Cheers
Old 21-03-2011, 16:39   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport

From the looks of this "boat" I would say that it was not a sailing vessel but a moored home only.
Old 21-03-2011, 16:50   #9
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

possible future candidates for a darwin award?

Do they give out family awards?

...I can just hear my mom sayin "if you don't have anything nice ta say Sara, don't say anything at all..."

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 21-03-2011, 17:33   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as i understand it, the boat was in a MARINA IN WILMAS OR SANPEDRO. IF IT WAS IN LARSONS, THER EIS good REASON FOR THE BREAKAWAY. THERE IS SURGE FROM OCEAN AND FETCH AND SWELL AND ALL KINDS OF NASTIES. WE IN SD HAD MORE THAN 30 BREAKAWAY AS THE LINES USED HERE ARE DOUBLE BRAID.LOL SNOT BRAID USELESS ROPE. no stretchat all lines. lol gooood f or anchoring-- NOT. i usually use 3 strand-- but i fell into the use of the mooring co lines-- i use 2--one is one inch and theother is inch and quarter. is still only a matter of time before my boats break away also despite using new lines every year, even if i dont need to.
just because the family didnt SAIL the boat to the Marina thry are wrong???? get real-- was 40 kt windS, inside the harbor were 4 ft seas. lol..have fun with that. do you ALL sail your breakaway boat back to slip???? i doubt it. so dont go and bash someone in a storm for being towed back to marina. mebbe the cleats ere torn off boat, as wer e the cleats on a lafitte 44 here that broke away from mooring. nice newish boat--- trash because of poorly designed cleat backings...LOL.....oops did i bash a designer?? sorry-- even my ericson has poorly designed cleat backings.LOL..is a marine industry THANG. not the family that broke loose.
please-- before badding the family whose boat broke loose in a storm,. remember-- we have more of these than we can name. you guys call storms we endure hurrycames and name em.lol....our water is too colde for hurrycames..LOL yet we get nasty bad winds and high seas and other goodies you all never had to think abut in your protected marinas. m,any in kali arenot protected, even in lost angels...... and i notixed even a moderator was bashin gthe family-- without ever having lived thru these storms. please live thru ione before ye bash us for breaking away or having the NERVE to be TOWED home in sailboat. mebbe their nerves wwre shattwred from the trauma of losing their lines and being SWEPT out to sea. hope it never happens to you. thankyou.
Old 21-03-2011, 17:50   #11

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I think it has the making of a Jerry Springer episode, Cleatus caught Gerty cheating on him with Bubba so he cut the mooring line of Bubba's "Mobile" home, in an attempt to crash them on the rocks, etc etc,
Old 21-03-2011, 17:52   #12

doesnt matter quite WHAT the boat looked like----was storm victim. as a marina breakaway-- let them get into clean shorts before bashing them. is only fair.
we endured 40+kt winds last nite and lost angels had this storm before we did and sf before them. ask the good folks in sf how that storm went there--i understand there is stil lclean up under way. donot bad muth breakaways of kali storms any mor ethan you woulod bash breakaways in a hurrycame. have fun and behave. live thru our storms before bashing the breakaways and others enduring them. have courtesy.
pete7--YES THE WINDS WERE THAT BAD,-- folks's anamometers pegged at 50kts and building.
where were you, serafina, when this storm bashed its way thru san francisco?? you rmemory was short this time. i was told about the bs happening in sf bay as it happened by soul who anchors out in sausalito. lol. short memories .
Old 21-03-2011, 17:57   #13
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

a storm victim? or not...

and hey, just because I am a mod doesn't mean I don't get an opinion... good or bad.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 21-03-2011, 18:17   #14

Boat: Traditional 30

Sigh.. Boat breaks mooring. Do you drop your anchor and then decide on a plan or let yoursef drift miles from no-where. It appears there had been no attempt to raise the main. Looking at the condition of the boat its reasonabe to suspect that the engine doesnt work. Surely, surely, they could have dropped a pick..

On a side note. I dont think the bowman on the coastguard boat (@ 20seconds) likes his fingers. Why didnt he have a painter/bowline prepared?
Old 21-03-2011, 18:36   #15

not a bad storm??? npt anything to be a problem?? was a killer s trom in san francisco-- same storm in lost angeles is no big deal???? get real an dguess agsain.... here lies the proof/ from a LAND point of view---perhaps this could nmake a little easier to understand. boats break loose from marinas and morings in htis stuff.. we had more than 30 break loose in sd alone. i guess we are all candidates fro darwin wards as a result??????-no mine didnt break away, but i am in a slightly more protected area--my choppy seas were onlly 4 ft in height. out in our main channel they were 6 ft . LOL and winds were 40 knots sustained and lots lots more in gusts. anemometers pegged at over 50 kts. naaaw--twerent no big thang, guys-- the family was just in an ugly boat.; lol go figger..

Southland Storm: Fierce Storm Snaps Power Lines, Prompts Evacuations - ktla.com
Closed Thread

Tags
california, family