Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2011, 10:03   #46

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Family rescued off California coast

I'm with boatman, if the state/cleanliness of their boat is an indication of the state of their mooring gear, it doesn't surprise me they broke loose.

The severity of the storm was forecast at least 24 hours before it hit, I would think that would be sufficient time to check your mooring lines and double up if needed. Personally, I would check and lay out my anchors, and prepare for the worst. While I admire the Coast Guard, the government is the LAST person I'd want to rely on in an emergency, especially during a large storm as you never know how long it will take them to get to you.
Old 22-03-2011, 10:23   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

considerin the seas in their neighborhood usually gain to being 30-50 ft during storms, i believe i would give the family a lil credit for having endured hell on htis earth. is difficult to set enough scope in most boats of ANY kind for a 30-50 ft sea. their boat WILL look crappy after all of this.. ididnt see vid--and i cant because my netbook doesnt load fast enough to do so-- BUT i know kali an di KNOW kali storms-- since 1973. norcal and socal and midcal and inland cal. yes i know kali. used to love it here. weather here has efinite patterns an every winter kills the seafronts, especially north of point conception. santa barbars is AT point concepcion. is why named fools anchorage-- because only fools anchor there--- those fools being anyone loving sta babs enough to winter there in a boat. no no slips available. no no moorings available. lottery system. long wait. gofigger. longer wait i fye came from anchorage 8 in sd..i know folks in htat situation. with jobs, an d still anchoring at fools. go figger. THEIR BOATS LOOK SHABBY AFTER 2 STORMS. lol this one laid on her side on hte breakwall there for 1 week. 7 days. is still awesome boat.

many from fools go to catalina for SHELTER FROM STORMS. lol
Old 22-03-2011, 10:28   #48

Who said the boat was anchored? That's a huge assumption; it may have been at dock or on a city mooring. The blow started out westerly then shifted SSE which are the strongest and worrisome storms leaving nowhere to hide from southeastern winds in SoCal. A 30K wind on a 1NM reach can produce waves 6+ feet, we had a 2' chop in a protected harbor during this storm. On top of that I'm pretty sure there are a number of posters on this thread whose "bright-work" is a tad south of Bristol.

Old 22-03-2011, 10:33   #49

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

We're not talking brightwork, or even a little clutter......I watched the video, the boat was green with growth (on the topsides), the quick glimpse in the cabin looked like hell......not the kind that can be cleaned up after the storm, just a mess. There was a mainsail on the boom, but it was covered and lashed. There were no pictures of the bow that I can remember.
Old 22-03-2011, 10:41   #50

Boat: grampian 26

Storm coming? Time to double up the mooring lines.Should be standard operating procedure.
Old 22-03-2011, 10:53   #51

kali storm drill-- add lines and check boat,drop all canvas and pretend yer in a hurrycame and hunker down for mr toads wild ride.
Old 22-03-2011, 10:56   #52

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsailor View Post
From the looks of this "boat" I would say that it was not a sailing vessel but a moored home only.
Is that a simile for "hobo shack"?

I literally do not understand what I just saw. It looked like the city was about one, one and half miles east in barely agitated water. If it was in fact six to eight feet waves, the odds of the rescue boat coming alongside via Coastie's "arm as breast line" is zero.

What's wrong with a tow? Why was the main furled? Are these people squatters?
Old 22-03-2011, 10:58   #53

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

For the sake of the parents I hope no child protection agency sees the video. While the condition during the rescue were almost like a mill-pond, the horrific condition of the boat's upkeep and knowing that there was a real blow 6 hours earlier makes one fear for what other dangers the 6 month old baby might be facing.

-Sven
Old 22-03-2011, 11:01   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
We're not talking brightwork, or even a little clutter......I watched the video, the boat was green with growth (on the topsides), the quick glimpse in the cabin looked like hell......
LOL, this coming from "If you can determine ...your imigination is far better than mine." Please. One can clearly see that the bow has a bridle and that the anchor line is taking load. Here's the official video: 110320-G-0000X-001_AirSta Los Angeles rescue

Old 22-03-2011, 11:05   #55

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
The video was taken after the sailboat was towed behind the breakwater.
Now I am doubly confused. Why were they not simply towed to a breakwall? Why was there a Coastie in the water? Why the copter?
Old 22-03-2011, 11:10   #56

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
kali storm drill-- add lines and check boat,drop all canvas and pretend yer in a hurrycame and hunker down for mr toads wild ride.
I don't like the way Mr. Toad drives. Gimme that wheel!
Old 22-03-2011, 11:23   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
LOL, this coming from "If you can determine ...your imigination is far better than mine." Please. One can clearly see that the bow has a bridle and that the anchor line is taking load. Here's the official video: 110320-G-0000X-001_AirSta Los Angeles rescue
Do we really need to go to this extent?

For those not in the know, Mr Seahunter is refering to another post I made where this individual claims based on some poor pictures the they can determine that the rudder bearings are shot.

I simply said that if based on the pictures you can determine that bearings are shot you have a good imagination.

But now I've been trolled
Old 22-03-2011, 11:41   #58

what do rudder bearings have to do with anything???? breaking away in a srtorm in huge seas is one thing--rudder bearings isnt gonna have any impact on htat nor on getting a sailboat back to a protectted area.

and mr toads driving really does sukkkkkk--is as bad as my typoing.....lol i know!!!!and he doesnt give the wheel up=-dang it--i tried a few times..is tiring and hard work.
Old 22-03-2011, 11:44   #59

Rudder bearings have nothing to do with this thread at all, just a troll carryover from another thread directed at myself.
Old 22-03-2011, 11:46   #60
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Rudder bearings have nothing to do with this thread at all, just a troll carryover from another thread directed at myself.
I can tell from your avatar that you don't have the chain properly attached to the anchor.
Closed Thread

Tags
california, family