Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2011, 10:52   #76

Boat: Ericson 39B - Senta II
Re: Family rescued off California coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
That's one opinion Sven, I guess the Coast Guard on duty were simply inept at estimating wave height and wind speed. And let's not forget about the Dolphin's wave height sensor, it was probably malfunctioning.
The standard model for estimating wave height SEAS =
I'm not sure how you are trying to bolster your case ? The freeboard on the wreck of a boat is less than 3' (a guess) so just look at the wave action from the helmet cam at water level relative to the freeboard with that in mind.

The waves and swells before they got the boat into sheltered water were probably what the CG reported.

-Sven

Old 23-03-2011, 11:16   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I don't know Zeehag. It may be understandable that their boat broke free if 40 knots were uncommon there. Here you can expect winds like that regularily so you better be prepared for it.

In an earlier post you suggest people shouldn't find fault with a couple who seem to have put their children at risk living in a vessel that isn't seaworthy and yet say it's ok to "bash" (your word) the people who risk their lives saving them. It makes no sense to me. I think an investigation for child endangerment wouldn't be unreasonable. If it is the case that their lines were inadequate and the vessel nonfunctioning there would be a pretty good argument in many locales that they put their children in harms way, since as you have said, storms do happen in Southern California.

Of course it could prove to be that conditions overwhelmed a functioning boat but given what is seen in the video I find it more understandable that people question that then your suggestion that we should bash the coast guard.

Old 23-03-2011, 11:31   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Look at the video, waves look no more than 2'. The swells are probably larger but not threatening, just rolling the boat around a bit. The best indicator of how calm it is is when the swimmer is next to the hull. -Sven
I agree, I don't see 30 ft seas or 40 knots of wind in the video. I am not doubting that it was a stormy night, that is quite common around the world particularly in winter, but it wasn't F8 when that video was shot.

Pete
Old 23-03-2011, 13:52   #79

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

This is interesting.

I googled this story to try and find more FACTS, I can't find any. Gord, where are you? You are the sharpest google bloodhound out there. It seems all any of the news agencies can come up with is the same pathetic paragraph copied from someone else. Journalism died along time ago. They really love a good headline, but will do very little to give you a story to go along with the headline.

What we do know from the CG video is that they were anchored when the CG arrived and that they were wet. It seems more than likely that they fought for their safety during the storm. After breaking loose they did get an anchor down and got their vessel stopped. Looking at the video they are not far from shore, regardless of the eye catching headline "family swept out to sea". I suspect as close as they were to shore and the circumstances they called for help, fearing they would be swept ashore. With kids onboard and being tired from fighting the storm, and a lee shore not far away it was time to get help.

What I do not understand is why the CG used a swimmer and helicopter for a boat at anchor. Maybe they used the opportunity for training who knows.

For anyone to set in judgment of these people with the limited information that we have is ridiculous. It seems most of the judgment is based the boat being dirty, not on facts.
Old 23-03-2011, 14:43   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I agree, I don't see 30 ft seas or 40 knots of wind in the video. I am not doubting that it was a stormy night, that is quite common around the world particularly in winter, but it wasn't F8 when that video was shot.
My point exactly, so why is there all this judgmental attitude based on 2 and a half minute video and a 2 paragraph press release from the CG? It could have been anyone of us calling for help; if we had the humility to admit it.

Old 23-03-2011, 15:31   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
CPS had us move off our boat when we got custody of our grandchildren. They had to have their own private bedroom with a door, individual bed etc.
But that is only because you were not the natural parents. If you want custody, they will attempt to insure that you CAN provide a good home..

Unfortunately, no such law exists for biological parents.
Taking children away from a crack mom, or bad housing is a REAL problem....
Old 23-03-2011, 17:25   #82

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
But that is only because you were not the natural parents. If you want custody, they will attempt to insure that you CAN provide a good home..

Unfortunately, no such law exists for biological parents.
Taking children away from a crack mom, or bad housing is a REAL problem....
In our case it is generational hereditary mental problems, wish it was crack, at least you can quit that. But crazy just is. Back to the thread, you guys put me on a guilt trip...we spent all day steamcleaning the boat...just in case it were to break free. I'm glad all were safe after being rescued. As for using a swimmer, it's by far safer in a seaway than the way we used to board!
Old 23-03-2011, 18:19   #83
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

could , possibly. living ina crappy old boat be , perhaps, a step up from what they may have been experiencing?? there are many many out of work in this state- and many homeless who are more than happy to squat on a boat--is better than cardboard for the kid, too, ye think??or not..... cardboard=death. boat=death----what is the difference?????
hmmingway-- that which i said makes as much sese as saying they didnt have their problems in the storm that just rolled down this coast disrupting every port, harbor, and beach town on this coast. also did some damage to inland areas. ktla had excellent coverage. was from lost angeles. i didnt see anyone quoting those linkies.
i am one who managed to survive the mayhem with only damage to friends's boats in my mooring. i am lucky. they werent. ouch.
Old 25-03-2011, 10:55   #84
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
This is interesting.

I googled this story to try and find more FACTS, I can't find any. Gord, where are you? You are the sharpest google bloodhound out there. It seems all any of the news agencies can come up with is the same pathetic paragraph copied from someone else. Journalism died along time ago. They really love a good headline, but will do very little to give you a story to go along with the headline.

SNIP

For anyone to set in judgment of these people with the limited information that we have is ridiculous. It seems most of the judgment is based the boat being dirty, not on facts.
Here's some FACTS for you. The nearest good bouy is East SB Channel. Here's a link to the historical windspeed data for the time in question. The max recorded sustained on the 20th was 14m/s which is 27 knots. It looks like during the storm time it was sustained 20-25 knots (not including gusts). Here's a link to the spectral wave data for the same time frame. It would appear that the wave height was around 2m with another .5m or so for wind waves. Let's call it 6.5 to 8 feet (it'll be smaller closer to land). Hmm, those numbers seem to be similar to what the CG reported. I wonder if they were looking at the same bouy?

The SB Harbor Patrol has serious recurring problems with many residents of the "Marina 5" area out at the anchorage. Not with everyone mind, but the percentages aren't great. Since the popularity of the cold cook method has exploded, it's been quite a hot spot for methamphetamine. I'm sure you can see why it's so appealing to make it out there (although those reasons would be opinion, not fact). There's also a high percentage of theft that occurs via dingy in the harbor, as opposed to the gates.

Also, there is no excuse for them to be out there. The harbor department went out of their way to accomodate all requests for slips during the storms. A chunk of Marina 1 is being rebuilt, but the city hung signs everywhere saying that would find space somehow for all requests during inclement weather.

And since I'm in the pedantic mood, the fact that they're boat was a wreck is my observation. It was covered in mold and slime. It was disorganized and filled with items. The sails were tattered. It was needlessly out in a storm in that condition. I, and many others, can use these observations to form an opinion on the seaworthiness of the vessel. The fact that they had to be rescued merely supports the validity of the opinion.

This is America (we're discussing here), and if you wish to raise your kid in a filthy derelict off the coast, that is your right. But don't expect me to applaud, or even respect your right to be a selfish tool. A spade is a spade, even if it's not politically correct to call it so.

JRM

-- being poor doesn't make you less of a person. I've been poor, and I've been not poor. Acting poor, however, is a different thing entirely...
Old 25-03-2011, 11:12   #85

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FACT: not many job sin kali.
FACT folks havent places to live -- THERE AR MANY CHEAP BOATS IN KALI. MANY ARE ABANDONED BY FOLKS WHO CANN0T AFFORD TO PAY THEIR MORTGAGES.
FACT- DERELICT BOAT IS BETTER THAN CARDBOARD. HAS A TOILET, ANYWAY AND SEMI PRIVATE DIGGS FOR EACH KID. CARDBOARD DOESNT.
HAS A LIL WARMTH AND SOME WET PRUFNESS- CARDBOARD DOESNT.
IN THEIR SHOES-- WHERE WOULD YOU GO????
LOL. WALK AROUND IN HTEIR SHOES A WHILE. HAVE FUN/
YES THIS IS STILL AMERIKUH--LAND OF THE RICH, HOME OF THE BRAVE..... THEY DO HAVE FEW CHOICES. VERY FEW, AS SOCIAL PROGRAMS AR EFAILING AS THE FUNDING HAS BEEN RAPED AND PILLAGED AS MUCH AS HAS SOCIAL INSECURITY.
SO, WHERE DO YOU PLAN ON HOUSNG THESE FOLKS?? THERE ARE MANY THOUSANDS OF THEM.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:18   #86
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

this is just an werid thread, just because there was a boat ................
Old 25-03-2011, 11:28   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

IF THIS WERE IN AN OLD ABANDONED HOUSE WOULD EB SAME NONESENSE ABOUT THE MORALS AND VALUES PLACED ON HTE FAMILY BY THOSE IN SOME ELITIST IVORY TOWER.
IS NATURE OF THIS BEAST.
Old 25-03-2011, 11:36   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

This thread is now closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
california, family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: