Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 08:37   #16

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Fake USCG Registration site robbing $75 from Cruisers

Once your passion for this subsides a little and you need another shot of adrenaline, take a look at the Federal Reserve Bank and fractional reserve banking.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:38   #17

Totally agree with Cotemar. These sites most often masquerade with official looking logos or URL addresses, etc. The one quoted in OP may be a notch above the usual crowd as they actually state that they are not a gov't site (probably someone threatened them into putting this language in). I find all of those "helpers" to be just a small step above Nigerian scammers. And after all people paying the Nigerian scammers are doing it voluntarily, right? Is that the only criterium to evaluate if a site is a scamming one or not?

If you cant figure out a few pages of CG doc reqs how are you going figure out Rules of the Road, your boat systems, your way to your destination, etc? Perhaps self USCG documentation (or any state registration) should be a required component of a boat ownership.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Once your passion for this subsides a little and you need another shot of adrenaline, take a look at the Federal Reserve Bank and fractional reserve banking.
Well, a gov't allowed/led scam does not justify add'l private scams.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:41   #19

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
You realize that BoatUS and many yacht brokers provide the same service right?
BoatUS Is not sending FAKE solicitation $75 renewal mail to your house weeks before the Real, National Vessel Documentation Center sends you the OFFICIAL REAL Documentation RENEWAL for $26

Just go here to see what pain other boaters are going through.

Fake USCG Registration - Trawler Forum
Old 22-03-2017, 08:42   #20

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
ALL I CAN SAY AT THIS POINT IS THAT ITS BOATER LIKE YOU THAT WE ARE TRYING TO PROTECT FROM SCAMMERS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
What we? Is there someone in your pocket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
We, the Friendly & Safe Boating Community.

You do remember the scammers that were filing early tax returns on behalf of the real tax payers and taking there REFUND checks.

It took years for our government to fix and a lot of pain and suffering by the REAL tax payers.
It is great to direct attention to problems, like fraud, that could affect others.

In my case, I would be certain that a real problem exists before calling out a real person or a real company with accusations that are potentially libel. From the outside, it looks like a licensed captain has spent his lifetime building his name and his company, only to garner this wrath, possibly only for making a profit on this part of his business.

Quote:
They are next...
Old 22-03-2017, 08:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
It is great to direct attention to problems, like fraud, that could affect others.

In my case, I would be certain that a real problem exists before calling out a real person or a real company with accusations that are potentially libel. From the outside, it looks like a licensed captain has spent his lifetime building his name and his company, only to garner this wrath, possibly only for making a profit on this part of his business.

They are next...
I think you're missing OP's point. There is a world of difference for example between a Nigerian scam letter telling you that you were named in General Mumbo Jumbo's will and a letter from a legitimate law firm or a gov't agency telling you the same thing. BoatUS is the latter and the site quoted APPEARS to be the former.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:47   #22

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
A more legit service, like I used for my Mexico TIP, will say, "Our service costs US $100 and that includes the US $50 TIP fee."

We object to the seductive and misleading verbiage in this prospective agent's mailed advertisement.

I hope we will all stay civil and know we are all here to help each other.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:49   #23

Last June I needed to renew my CG regestration. I unknowingly contacted this scam and they wanted to charge $450 for what the CG provides for $75.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:50   #24

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I think you're missing OP's point. There is a world of difference for example between a Nigerian scam letter telling you that you were named in General Mumbo Jumbo's will and a letter from a legitimate law firm or a gov't agency telling you the same thing. BoatUS is the latter and the site quoted APPEARS to be the former.
The site quoted is only a scam if they do not provide you with what they promise to provide you.
Old 22-03-2017, 08:52   #25

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
.... a letter from a legitimate law firm or a gov't agency telling you the same thing. BoatUS is the latter and the site quoted APPEARS to be the former.
BoatUS is not a government agency of any kind, but BoatUS sells insurance and other services.

Just sayin'...
Old 22-03-2017, 09:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP44 View Post
BoatUS is not a government agency of any kind, but BoatUS sells insurance and other services.

Just sayin'...
I am well aware of that. I think said "private OR gov't" sites.

PS Actually BoatUS has agreements with some states (at least with FL) to provide various courses, etc. leading to state approved/sponsored/issued certifications and some such. Got my FL state "boating card" from them. And the whole process was free to boot.
Old 22-03-2017, 09:56   #27

Boat: Albin Vega 27

This website has the illusion of legitimacy. It is a purposeful masquerade of the real thing despite whatever good intentions its creator has. This is the same as people who dress up as police officers who hand out tickets to unsuspecting tourists who's fines must be paid directly to the fake officer.
Old 22-03-2017, 09:58   #28
Marine Service Provider

Renewals with the real Coast Guard are only $26. There are plenty of dishonest, not necessarily "fake" websites out there that rip you off for many dollars more that just going on to the real government website and doing your business for free or for a much lower price. Internal Revenue Service forms are shipped fee in any quantity you want from the real IRS but huckster websites sell them for exorbitant prices. Same with passport processing. Of course the huckster websites come up first on a web search because the hucksters pay Google, etc. to place their ads at the top. Government agencies do not pay the search engines.
Old 22-03-2017, 09:59   #29
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as i am out of usa, i find the best way to avoid scammers is to, when receiving notices, communicate with the real deal and renew with the uscg nvdc. donot answer any mailings. donot pass go. get it done correctly and save your self much grief.
it doesnt take brains. just sense.
Old 22-03-2017, 10:02   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cotemar is talking about renewal not documentation. RTFQ which means "Read The Question."
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, registration