Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2010, 07:45   #1

Empty 48' Yacht Washes Up on Florida Beach

Got onto the forum this morning, expecting to find info on this wreck. Searched but couldn't find anything, so I hope I'm not repeating it. If this is a repeat, MODS please remove.

(CNN) -- The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for a possible missing boater after an empty yacht mysteriously washed ashore near Madeira Beach in Florida.
The search was suspended Wednesday night, Coast Guard officials said.
The empty 48-foot boat washed up on the beach about 1 p.m. Wednesday, triggering a police investigation and a Coast Guard rescue mission.
The Coast Guard sent out two rescue vessels and a helicopter but was not able to locate anybody.
Adding to the mystery is the fact that the vessel is registered to the federal government, CNN-affiliate WFTS reported.
Also when the ship came ashore the engine was still running and lights were on, witnesses told the affiliate.
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 07:49   #2

found pics

Here's a link to a local site with photos of the beached boat.

Mysterious Yacht Runs Ashore On Gulf Coast - Photos - WFTV Orlando
Old 26-08-2010, 07:51   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
video at:
Tampabay.com – Yacht mysteriously washes ashore on Madeira Beach
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 07:52   #4

more details: Sundancer 48 named "Makin Waves"

REDINGTON BEACH, Fla. -- A 48-foot yacht has mysteriously run ashore on Florida's Gulf Coast, west of St. Petersburg. AT THE SCENE: Mysterious Yacht Runs Ashore On Gulf Coast Detectives are still trying to figure out who owns the luxurious 48 Sundancer, which sells for about $1 million new.No one has reported it lost or stolen. The only sign of foul play was the still-churning engine that propelled the ship onto Redington Beach.The Coast Guard launched a search by air and sea Wednesday, but suspended it before dusk after nothing turned up.The yacht, called Makin Waves, was most recently registered in Delaware. A Mexican flag is fixed on the bow, but an American flag flies at the stern.Investigators found a previous owner, but say the ship probably wasn't registered after the sale and may have changed hands again.
Old 26-08-2010, 08:06   #5

After viewing the pics and video, it appears I was premature in calling this a "wreck". That boat looks just fine, sitting on the sand. The blurb I heard on TV earlier made it sound a lot worse.
Old 26-08-2010, 08:10   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
"bring lawyers guns and money......"

smuggling of humans and/or drugs comes to mind.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 08:12   #7

10 will get you 20 he washes up on shore with his fly open. why didn't anyone attempt to salvage it?
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 08:17   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I guess those engines were a bit hot!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 08:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I'll bet the guy set the auto-pilot to run his boat back ashore, put on a few weight belts, and popped a cap in his head while on the dive platform. Widow gets the boat back, no body recovered, hence no suicide which is an accidental death = double indemnity life insurance pay-out...

Poor bugger was probably ruined in the economy and couldn't face the shame of bankruptcy in front of his peeps. Hmmmm I'm thinking that would be a good plot for a book!
Old 26-08-2010, 08:38   #10

I'm with Zeehag on this one. Boat was reported as registered to the US Gov't. Is there any probable way for that to come about except that it was in use in some undercover operation? Perhaps seized previously in a bust? Maybe I watched too much "Miami Vice" when I was younger...
Old 26-08-2010, 08:42   #11

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
If you look at the vidio, you can see that the anchor locker is open and there is a winch handle in the windlass. Probably had a failure of the windlass, and the operator went forward to raise tha anchor manually, and somehow fell off.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 08:55   #12

power boaters ** cough *** power boaters
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 08:55   #13
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Drugs and illegals - my vote.

"Boat was reported as registered to the US Gov't." yet other report says that it was most recently registered in Delaware. Don't trust the news reports until you get all the facts.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 09:06   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
If you look at the vidio, you can see that the anchor locker is open and there is a winch handle in the windlass. Probably had a failure of the windlass, and the operator went forward to raise tha anchor manually, and somehow fell off.
I agree with the above assessment. If whomever had left the engine idling in gear to ease retrieving the anchor and gone over the rail, the boat could easily have gotten away from them. Last night the weather was particularly crappy in this area with qusts in the squalls exceeding 40 knots and rough seas. Whomever might have anchored to wait out the weather and later been preparing to get going. The curves on that boat's deck are very artful but are a disaster in the making to try and negotiate, particularly when wet and with the yacht bouncing around.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 09:42   #15

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
power boaters ** cough *** power boaters
You had something you wanted to say?

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida