Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2015, 16:41   #106
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,880
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Having a few social drinks with new found boating friends at anchor is part of the cruising dream.

Yet.....Keeping us safe from hurting ourselves is part of the agreement we made as citizens to our elected government.

The US as a young country has gone through a whole range of solutions from Prohibition to now a very liberal view of entitlement, including social marijuana use.

I think in high boating density places like Florida, we should accept a higher level of scrutiny for our own shared good and not demonize the police.
__________________

__________________
Pelagic is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 16:44   #107
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,056
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Having a few social drinks with new found boating friends at anchor is part of the cruising dream.

Yet.....Keeping us safe from hurting ourselves is part of the agreement we made as citizens to our elected government.

The US as a young country has gone through a whole range of solutions from Prohibition to now a very liberal view of entitlement, including social marijuana use.

I think in high boating density places like Florida, we should accept a higher level of scrutiny for our own shared good and not demonize the police.
__________________

__________________
Cadence is online now  
Old 31-08-2015, 17:21   #108
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Having a few social drinks with new found boating friends at anchor is part of the cruising dream.

Yet.....Keeping us safe from hurting ourselves is part of the agreement we made as citizens to our elected government.

The US as a young country has gone through a whole range of solutions from Prohibition to now a very liberal view of entitlement, including social marijuana use.

I think in high boating density places like Florida, we should accept a higher level of scrutiny for our own shared good and not demonize the police.
Oi! I feel nauseous.

"Keeping us safe from hurting ourselves." I cannot even describe how badly those words taste. I wonder what the founding fathers had in mind with the 2nd Amendment. Never forget, when you lose freedoms they are extremely hard to get back, and usually gone forever.

Maybe some Americans would like authority figures to visit their homes each morning to tie their shoes and feed them cereal, with a bib on?
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 17:41   #109
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,826
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtmasteroz View Post
Here in Australia, you don't have to be driving a vessel. You only have to be in charge of a vessel. Try to get out of that one. - My wife doesn't drink and she is always in charge
I'll remember that line for sure!
---------------------

"Keeping us safe from hurting ourselves." I cannot even describe how badly those words taste. I wonder what the founding fathers had in mind with the 2nd Amendment. Never forget, when you lose freedoms they are extremely hard to get back, and usually gone forever.

Maybe some Americans would like authority figures to visit their homes each morning to tie their shoes and feed them cereal, with a bib on?
---------------------
Now there's a problem with "Free Range Kids" and bicycle riders must wear helmets. Argh.
What's next? Mandatory helmet wearing in bed because you might fall out in your sleep?
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 17:55   #110
Registered User
 
ryon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 588
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
"What? Is there some new US law that states boats at anchor need to be manned at all times?"

Yep. The Col-Regs, 1972, require that someone by "on watch" at all times on anchor. This does not apply to a permanent mooring or dock.

I believe that you have to be legally drunk to get a DUI, no matter the circumstances, unless docked or moored, at least here in California.
Nope. In California they love to say that they'll arrest you if you seem impaired at any blood alcohol level. What does "seem impaired" mean?

Maybe now is a good time to prepare for that possible confrontation. Ex-cop Eddie Craig can be easily found on YouTube for starters. There are many others if you want to be proactive.
__________________
ryon is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 18:55   #111
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,880
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

We can all cite extremes to make a point... but on closer investigation they turn out hollow.

Is suicide intervention a challenge to 2nd Amendment rights?

Are child abuse laws a challenge to parental rights?

Are COLREGS an affront to freedom of the seas?

Perhaps I am naive, but I place a great deal of faith in the sense of fairness amongst law enforcement and legislators to find practical balances, knowing that mistakes/abuses will be made that require legal challenges.

BUT..I do not advocate going back to the good old 60's where no seat belt laws/ teenage car fatalities/ relaxed enforcement of drinking laws contributed to many road deaths.

For me, I am not insecure enough to feel challenged by the human enforcement of practical laws.

Apart from common sense, those DUI laws and penalties are a useful subliminal governor.... when the moon is full and I feel like howling!:sly:
__________________
Pelagic is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:02   #112
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Soo, the thread is titled "DUI while at anchor." Has anyone ever been arrested or heard of a person being arrested for BUI while at anchor? I have not. I spent decades in law enforcement and can not imagine making an arrest for the original incident. Just because there is a legal basis for arrest, it does not mean that the officer will make the arrest. That is loosely referred to as police discretion which is a good thing. Be thankful that cops are inserted between politicians and fellow boaters.
__________________
Funyacht is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:11   #113
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,880
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

:thumbup: Welcome to CF Funyacht.
__________________
Pelagic is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:24   #114
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,965
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

My experience just doesn't support the "eroding freedom" call to arms.

The CG was given the right to board without probable cause in the late 1700's. The "Founding Fathers" were there. 250 years of "about the same".

I've cruised the ICW five times from Maine through Florida with three trips to the Bahamas. On those trips I have been boarded once by the CG for a routine safety inspection that I passed easily. I have never been stopped or boarded by a state or local officer. I know it happens but I'm proof it doesn't happen to everyone.

At age 59, including having run four businesses, I have never been sued or sued anyone (I'll admit to some threats back and forth). I've only seen the inside of a courtroom as a juror.

I agree that the water police presence has increased since 9/11. Florida is particularly over patrolled. It's a waste of money. The Florida voters are certainly harassed by this more than me - they should force a change.

What do I want?

I want state and local officers to slow down those overpowered boats they were given, keep the guns out of sight, stop dressing like commandos, fly the American flag properly, and wave when they go by. The CG always waves.

.
__________________
CarlF is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:31   #115
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,137
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Ah yes, the good old days. Remember them fondly.

When a father could drive with a beer between his legs, toddler standing in the front seat beside him grabbing at the wheel or shift handle going "vroom vroom". Distracts father who rearends a car at 10mph sending the toddler into a metal dashboard.

When river's caught on fire, that was pretty.

When you couldn't see B'ham Alabama for the steel mill smog. Always new when we were almost to my favorite great aunts house. She let me sip her beer that the doctor ordered her to drink everyday.

When all the birds and squirrels disappeared from my neighborhood from DDT. Good stuff, squirrels scare me.

My Grandpa said the good old days were before women could vote. And don't get him started on that civil rights stuff in the sixties.

Ah yes, the good old days, before GPS and chart plotters. When men were men. And had "honor" for everyone. Please.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:33   #116
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funyacht View Post
Soo, the thread is titled "DUI while at anchor." Has anyone ever been arrested or heard of a person being arrested for BUI while at anchor? I have not. I spent decades in law enforcement and can not imagine making an arrest for the original incident. Just because there is a legal basis for arrest, it does not mean that the officer will make the arrest. That is loosely referred to as police discretion which is a good thing. Be thankful that cops are inserted between politicians and fellow boaters.
That was much more the case back in the '50s, '60s, and '70s. Back in the days when men wore a suit and tie when visiting a Las Vegas casino. Police discretion to 'not make an arrest' is a good thing, but America is changing.

"Honey!!!, hurry up with those cocktails!!, the Maritime Drink Police are about 5 miles out, and closing fast!"

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:40   #117
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 744
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Ah yes, the good old days. Remember them fondly.

When a father could drive with a beer between his legs, toddler standing in the front seat beside him grabbing at the wheel or shift handle going "vroom vroom". Distracts father who rearends a car at 10mph sending the toddler into a metal dashboard.

When river's caught on fire, that was pretty.

When you couldn't see B'ham Alabama for the steel mill smog. Always new when we were almost to my favorite great aunts house. She let me sip her beer that the doctor ordered her to drink everyday.

When all the birds and squirrels disappeared from my neighborhood from DDT. Good stuff, squirrels scare me.

My Grandpa said the good old days were before women could vote. And don't get him started on that civil rights stuff in the sixties.

Ah yes, the good old days, before GPS and chart plotters. When men were men. And had "honor" for everyone. Please.
Soon, someone will invent hermetically-sealed unsinkable sailing tubes, and you will reach nirvana.
__________________
PortClydeMe is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:43   #118
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,880
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin
LOL! .....Slightly different times when the American Revolution was happening....

Perspective and Ben's bifocals was always a challenge

But I could see that as a useful quote for ISIS to now use.
__________________
Pelagic is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:44   #119
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,137
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Portclyde, you're winking at me? I ain't that sexy.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline  
Old 31-08-2015, 19:50   #120
Registered User
 
RainDog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Varies
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Posts: 1,183
Re: DUI While at Anchor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin
This is one is the most abused quotes ever, but this case is especially egregious. If our definition as Americans of "essential liberty" is the right to get wasted any time and place we chose, then we really have lost our way.
__________________

RainDog is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian Customs and a DUI Dave0549jv Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 37 04-09-2014 21:51
For Sale: Anchor Sentinel-30#Kiwi Anchor Rider (Anchor Buddy) islandsailing Classifieds Archive 3 21-11-2013 07:13
Painting the Topsides While at Anchor Ben M-P Challenges 8 24-05-2011 20:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.