Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 15:16   #1

Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooling

OK while they are talking about climate warming caused by C02 emissions, scientists are now warning about global cooling. And wait, thats not all. They are saying its because of the change in the activity from the Sun and not because of man made "pollution".

So now we are looking at Global Cooling I am so glad to be preparing for a life aboard a sailboat. I will be able to move to wherever the climate is most favorable and not stuck in some freezing part of the world. :big grin:

"If the World does get cold all over with some places turning to ice do we need to look at Arctic sailing preparations for our sailboats. Just thinking.
A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

Their findings will infuriate environmental campaigners who argue by 2030 we could be facing increased sea levels and flooding due to glacial melt at the poles.

Global warming 'is FAKE': Volume of ice caps is INCREASING, claims...
World will start COOLING DOWN in 2017, claims one of planet's top...

However, at the National Astronomy Meeting in Wales, Northumbria University professor Valentina Zharkova said fluctuations an 11-year cycle of solar activity the sun goes through would be responsible for a freeze, the like of which has not been experienced since the 1600s.

From 1645 to 1715 global temperatures dropped due to low solar activity so much that the planet experienced a 70-year ice age known as Maunder Minimum which saw the River Thames in London completely frozen."
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 15:30   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Wouldn't that be interesting. Most of these dooms day things happen far into the future. This would be in perhaps my lifetime. I will not live where it's cold. "Have boat will travel."
model 10 is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 15:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Here, you need to hang out on this site for a while. Its where we heretics including the non-government funded scientists conduct peer review. Its also where you find that NOAA and NASA have been cooking the books and how. If stuff doesn't make sense, follow the money. Remember, it was only 12,000 years ago that the Midwest was under 6000 feet of ice. We have been experiencing ablation since then. When that pendulum swings the other way it will be with vengeance. Enjoy the Inter-glacial while it lasts.
Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 16:18   #4

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

One of the issues with Artic cruising is where you will get provisions when you go. It will be a while before the infrastructure gets built up and one question would be why? Jimmy Cornell just went up there and found out it is pretty far and between stores and fuel depots.

As far as the whole global warming thing, it is definitely possible that it could go either way. It is definitely possible that man-made emissions could swing it one way. Or not if Mother Nature decides to do something of a bigger nature where the stuff humans put up is only a rounding error.

One thing I don't think is true is that the global scientific community is cooking the books. There are many people who would like to but I don't think they are the ones who have published the majority of the finding about the trends. I find all the conspiracy theories pretty humorous. I think those are cooking their own books. And I think it is a conspiracy that we must all conspire to defeat.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 04:23   #5

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

There's been global warming and cooling since before there were ever any man made emissions of any type so all the crap cooked up by various governmental agencies is just that, crap.
chadc is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 04:33   #6

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Baloney. Every year in the last five, at least, has been 'hottest on record' according to the boffins.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 04:55   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the freeking sky is falling spoke chicken little.............
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 06:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Baloney. Every year in the last five, at least, has been 'hottest on record' according to the boffins.
Now that's some Baloney. First time I've heard this specific bit of alarmist nonsense.

Which boffins would they be? And what records would they be. Over what period?

There are four primary temperature data sets that I am aware of.

Even the most alarmist, adjusted one GISTEMP doesn't show anything of the sort:

Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs

and the more reliable satellite records show a far less alarming picture:

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/rss...o:2015/mean:12

Reference please?
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 06:58   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I think Walkabout is correct.
I looked at the sun yesterday and its definitely SMALLER! I got up extra early this morning and, yep, sunrise its just a piddler. Tiny.

So I rang NASA and after I reported it they told me: "you're an f'ing ijiot with the brain the size of a Christmas turkeys". Then they hung up on me!!

So its a COVER UP! That's exactly what they would do, isn't it? Hang up on me instead of sending the Space Shuttle up to check my FACTS.
I bet the CIA is in on it TOO!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 07:12   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

****...!!!!

I only just finished preparing for Zombies....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 07:18   #11

Forget the Zombies. We need more anti-freeze.

Less powerful sun. I think I will go short on sunglass stocks. The profits I make will help me buy the best anti-freeze and Arctic weather clothes.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 07:26   #12

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
One of the issues with Artic cruising is where you will get provisions when you go. It will be a while before the infrastructure gets built up and one question would be why? Jimmy Cornell just went up there and found out it is pretty far and between stores and fuel depots.

As far as the whole global warming thing, it is definitely possible that it could go either way. It is definitely possible that man-made emissions could swing it one way. Or not if Mother Nature decides to do something of a bigger nature where the stuff humans put up is only a rounding error.

One thing I don't think is true is that the global scientific community is cooking the books. There are many people who would like to but I don't think they are the ones who have published the majority of the finding about the trends. I find all the conspiracy theories pretty humorous. I think those are cooking their own books. And I think it is a conspiracy that we must all conspire to defeat.
Quoting exMaggieDrum just to repeat it. Best post on the topic I've read on the forum.

Except the "why?" on the Arctic. Would love to see it in it's current environment and have enjoyed daydreaming of an expedition boat and a fat wallet.
Old 30-11-2015, 07:40   #13

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
OK while they are talking about climate warming caused by C02 emissions, scientists are now warning about global cooling. And wait, thats not all. They are saying its because of the change in the activity from the Sun and not because of man made "pollution".

So now we are looking at Global Cooling I am so glad to be preparing for a life aboard a sailboat. I will be able to move to wherever the climate is most favorable and not stuck in some freezing part of the world. :big grin:

"If the World does get cold all over with some places turning to ice do we need to look at Arctic sailing preparations for our sailboats. Just thinking.
A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

Their findings will infuriate environmental campaigners who argue by 2030 we could be facing increased sea levels and flooding due to glacial melt at the poles.

Global warming 'is FAKE': Volume of ice caps is INCREASING, claims...
World will start COOLING DOWN in 2017, claims one of planet's top...

However, at the National Astronomy Meeting in Wales, Northumbria University professor Valentina Zharkova said fluctuations an 11-year cycle of solar activity the sun goes through would be responsible for a freeze, the like of which has not been experienced since the 1600s.

From 1645 to 1715 global temperatures dropped due to low solar activity so much that the planet experienced a 70-year ice age known as Maunder Minimum which saw the River Thames in London completely frozen."
The current doom and gloom seems to think that temperature may rise (or from your data fall) by x degrees this century.

Personally I'm more concerned with human induced destruction I can see now. Overfishing, over tourism, rampant consumerism, stupid bureaucracy, obstinance against renewable and off grid energy.

If sea water temps do rise I'll guess i'll be concerned about ocean acidification. As I have a fibreglass vessel with epoxy below the waterline I'll only be concerned about the metal bits immersed in sea water.

Unfortunately the complete set of facts about (insert trendy or doomsday chemical compound here) is incomplete.

Firstly because the scientifically untrained media, bureaucrats and dumbed down minority groups pick and chose which facts they like.

Secondly because climate science is a very complex adaptive system which behaves like a wicked problem.

We cant even predict the weather out more than a few days. So you certainly cant convince me that we'll experience x in 50 or 100 years. There are many overlapping climate cycles which act in indeterminate ways.

Wicked problems get solved iteratively and constantly morph into different problems. So the way to tackle climate change is to start now, start small and solve clearly defined problems that exist today. It also involves disrupting the status quo.

For example Australia banging on about solving climate change by introducing a carbon tax is ludicrous when the country is trying to dump its coal and iron ore on the rest of the world.

Climate related undesirable climate change will only be solved by science and engineering. Not by politics, economic or tax shape shifting.

There will also be desirable climate change. New coral reefs, sun filled resorts in Siberia, new coastlines and opportunities to make a killing in seaside property, increased crop yields and redistributed rainfall in arid areas...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 08:06   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post

Less powerful sun. I think I will go short on sunglass stocks. The profits I make will help me buy the best anti-freeze and Arctic weather clothes.
Crazy! Go LONG on sunglass stocks: Snow blindness you'll make a killing

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 08:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Now that's some Baloney. First time I've heard this specific bit of alarmist nonsense.

Which boffins would they be? And what records would they be. Over what period?

There are four primary temperature data sets that I am aware of.

Even the most alarmist, adjusted one GISTEMP doesn't show anything of the sort:

and the more reliable satellite records show a far less alarming picture:

Reference please?
Careful not to pick a range that specifically supports your argument

Full Wood for Trees dataset
Foozinator is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising