Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 16:16   #1
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,455
Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooling

OK while they are talking about climate warming caused by C02 emissions, scientists are now warning about global cooling. And wait, thats not all. They are saying its because of the change in the activity from the Sun and not because of man made "pollution".

So now we are looking at Global Cooling I am so glad to be preparing for a life aboard a sailboat. I will be able to move to wherever the climate is most favorable and not stuck in some freezing part of the world. :big grin:

"If the World does get cold all over with some places turning to ice do we need to look at Arctic sailing preparations for our sailboats. Just thinking.
A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

Their findings will infuriate environmental campaigners who argue by 2030 we could be facing increased sea levels and flooding due to glacial melt at the poles.

Global warming 'is FAKE': Volume of ice caps is INCREASING, claims...
World will start COOLING DOWN in 2017, claims one of planet's top...

However, at the National Astronomy Meeting in Wales, Northumbria University professor Valentina Zharkova said fluctuations an 11-year cycle of solar activity the sun goes through would be responsible for a freeze, the like of which has not been experienced since the 1600s.

From 1645 to 1715 global temperatures dropped due to low solar activity so much that the planet experienced a 70-year ice age known as Maunder Minimum which saw the River Thames in London completely frozen."
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 16:30   #2
Guy
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Boat is on the Rio Dulce
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 3,584
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Wouldn't that be interesting. Most of these dooms day things happen far into the future. This would be in perhaps my lifetime. I will not live where it's cold. "Have boat will travel."
__________________

__________________
Guy is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 16:53   #3
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,448
Images: 83
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Here, you need to hang out on this site for a while. Its where we heretics including the non-government funded scientists conduct peer review. Its also where you find that NOAA and NASA have been cooking the books and how. If stuff doesn't make sense, follow the money. Remember, it was only 12,000 years ago that the Midwest was under 6000 feet of ice. We have been experiencing ablation since then. When that pendulum swings the other way it will be with vengeance. Enjoy the Inter-glacial while it lasts.
Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply
Old 29-11-2015, 17:18   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anacortes
Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Posts: 1,589
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

One of the issues with Artic cruising is where you will get provisions when you go. It will be a while before the infrastructure gets built up and one question would be why? Jimmy Cornell just went up there and found out it is pretty far and between stores and fuel depots.

As far as the whole global warming thing, it is definitely possible that it could go either way. It is definitely possible that man-made emissions could swing it one way. Or not if Mother Nature decides to do something of a bigger nature where the stuff humans put up is only a rounding error.

One thing I don't think is true is that the global scientific community is cooking the books. There are many people who would like to but I don't think they are the ones who have published the majority of the finding about the trends. I find all the conspiracy theories pretty humorous. I think those are cooking their own books. And I think it is a conspiracy that we must all conspire to defeat.
__________________
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 05:23   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Boat: 1979 Watkins 27
Posts: 71
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

There's been global warming and cooling since before there were ever any man made emissions of any type so all the crap cooked up by various governmental agencies is just that, crap.
__________________
chadc is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 05:33   #6
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,665
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Baloney. Every year in the last five, at least, has been 'hottest on record' according to the boffins.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 05:55   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 16,809
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

the freeking sky is falling spoke chicken little.............
zeehag is online now   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 07:56   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,017
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Baloney. Every year in the last five, at least, has been 'hottest on record' according to the boffins.
Now that's some Baloney. First time I've heard this specific bit of alarmist nonsense.


Which boffins would they be? And what records would they be. Over what period?

There are four primary temperature data sets that I am aware of.

Even the most alarmist, adjusted one GISTEMP doesn't show anything of the sort:

Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs

and the more reliable satellite records show a far less alarming picture:

http://www.woodfortrees.org/plot/rss...o:2015/mean:12


Reference please?
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 07:58   #9
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in the Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,380
Images: 25
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I think Walkabout is correct.
I looked at the sun yesterday and its definitely SMALLER! I got up extra early this morning and, yep, sunrise its just a piddler. Tiny.

So I rang NASA and after I reported it they told me: "you're an f'ing ijiot with the brain the size of a Christmas turkeys". Then they hung up on me!!

So its a COVER UP! That's exactly what they would do, isn't it? Hang up on me instead of sending the Space Shuttle up to check my FACTS.
I bet the CIA is in on it TOO!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!


.
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 08:12   #10
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 19,141
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

****...!!!!

I only just finished preparing for Zombies....
__________________

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Click on de Pic 4 de Site^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 08:18   #11
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,455
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Forget the Zombies. We need more anti-freeze.

Less powerful sun. I think I will go short on sunglass stocks. The profits I make will help me buy the best anti-freeze and Arctic weather clothes.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 08:26   #12
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 1,992
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
One of the issues with Artic cruising is where you will get provisions when you go. It will be a while before the infrastructure gets built up and one question would be why? Jimmy Cornell just went up there and found out it is pretty far and between stores and fuel depots.

As far as the whole global warming thing, it is definitely possible that it could go either way. It is definitely possible that man-made emissions could swing it one way. Or not if Mother Nature decides to do something of a bigger nature where the stuff humans put up is only a rounding error.

One thing I don't think is true is that the global scientific community is cooking the books. There are many people who would like to but I don't think they are the ones who have published the majority of the finding about the trends. I find all the conspiracy theories pretty humorous. I think those are cooking their own books. And I think it is a conspiracy that we must all conspire to defeat.
Quoting exMaggieDrum just to repeat it. Best post on the topic I've read on the forum.

Except the "why?" on the Arctic. Would love to see it in it's current environment and have enjoyed daydreaming of an expedition boat and a fat wallet.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is online now   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 08:40   #13
Registered User
 
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 1,788
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
OK while they are talking about climate warming caused by C02 emissions, scientists are now warning about global cooling. And wait, thats not all. They are saying its because of the change in the activity from the Sun and not because of man made "pollution".

So now we are looking at Global Cooling I am so glad to be preparing for a life aboard a sailboat. I will be able to move to wherever the climate is most favorable and not stuck in some freezing part of the world. :big grin:

"If the World does get cold all over with some places turning to ice do we need to look at Arctic sailing preparations for our sailboats. Just thinking.
A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

Their findings will infuriate environmental campaigners who argue by 2030 we could be facing increased sea levels and flooding due to glacial melt at the poles.

Global warming 'is FAKE': Volume of ice caps is INCREASING, claims...
World will start COOLING DOWN in 2017, claims one of planet's top...

However, at the National Astronomy Meeting in Wales, Northumbria University professor Valentina Zharkova said fluctuations an 11-year cycle of solar activity the sun goes through would be responsible for a freeze, the like of which has not been experienced since the 1600s.

From 1645 to 1715 global temperatures dropped due to low solar activity so much that the planet experienced a 70-year ice age known as Maunder Minimum which saw the River Thames in London completely frozen."
The current doom and gloom seems to think that temperature may rise (or from your data fall) by x degrees this century.

Personally I'm more concerned with human induced destruction I can see now. Overfishing, over tourism, rampant consumerism, stupid bureaucracy, obstinance against renewable and off grid energy.

If sea water temps do rise I'll guess i'll be concerned about ocean acidification. As I have a fibreglass vessel with epoxy below the waterline I'll only be concerned about the metal bits immersed in sea water.

Unfortunately the complete set of facts about (insert trendy or doomsday chemical compound here) is incomplete.

Firstly because the scientifically untrained media, bureaucrats and dumbed down minority groups pick and chose which facts they like.

Secondly because climate science is a very complex adaptive system which behaves like a wicked problem.

We cant even predict the weather out more than a few days. So you certainly cant convince me that we'll experience x in 50 or 100 years. There are many overlapping climate cycles which act in indeterminate ways.

Wicked problems get solved iteratively and constantly morph into different problems. So the way to tackle climate change is to start now, start small and solve clearly defined problems that exist today. It also involves disrupting the status quo.

For example Australia banging on about solving climate change by introducing a carbon tax is ludicrous when the country is trying to dump its coal and iron ore on the rest of the world.

Climate related undesirable climate change will only be solved by science and engineering. Not by politics, economic or tax shape shifting.

There will also be desirable climate change. New coral reefs, sun filled resorts in Siberia, new coastlines and opportunities to make a killing in seaside property, increased crop yields and redistributed rainfall in arid areas...


Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 09:06   #14
Long Range Cruiser
 
MarkJ's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in the Caribbean
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Posts: 12,380
Images: 25
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post

Less powerful sun. I think I will go short on sunglass stocks. The profits I make will help me buy the best anti-freeze and Arctic weather clothes.
Crazy! Go LONG on sunglass stocks: Snow blindness you'll make a killing
__________________
Notes on a Circumnavigation.
OurLifeAtSea.com

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 09:07   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 75
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Now that's some Baloney. First time I've heard this specific bit of alarmist nonsense.


Which boffins would they be? And what records would they be. Over what period?

There are four primary temperature data sets that I am aware of.

Even the most alarmist, adjusted one GISTEMP doesn't show anything of the sort:

Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs

and the more reliable satellite records show a far less alarming picture:

Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs


Reference please?
Careful not to pick a range that specifically supports your argument

Full Wood for Trees dataset
__________________

__________________
Foozinator is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 20:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 20:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 06:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 08:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 09:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.