Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 02:56   #2896

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Climate change to widen range of disease-carrying mosquitoes, says study | Carbon Brief
Quote:
Infectious diseases, such as dengue and the Zika virus, could spread to new parts of the world as mosquitoes expand their habitats in a warmer, wetter world, a new study suggests.

By 2061-80, an additional half a billion people could be at risk from diseases carried by the Aedes aegypti mosquito, the study says – and could even rise to more than five billion under a scenario of high population growth.[...]
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 03:01   #2897

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Does Water Vapor from Volcanic Eruptions Cause Climate Warming? | Earth & Space Science News
Quote:
By studying past volcanic eruptions, scientists find that the amount of water vapor reaching the stratosphere during moderately explosive eruptions may not be contributing to the greenhouse effect.[...]

(Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1002/2016GL069918, 2016)
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 12:30   #2898

Which idiots have said that water vapour from volcanoes contribute to Global Warming? This is such a childish attempt to manufacture a straw argument to then dispel it. Pure propaganda by so called scientists. These AGW types must be getting very desperate to be resorting to manufacturing spurious argument that they can then magically debunk.

Idiots. What about the sulphur and other particle pollutants spewed into the atmosphere by volcanoes. No instead they talk about water vapour. Fraudsters. All of these amoral intellectually bankrupt charlatan fake scientists. Propably recent graduates of Berkley, Yale or Harvard. The new anti thinking and pro propaganda indoctrinating degree mills.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 12:39   #2899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
The UK and the British Commonwealth country, Australia both developed marmite and vegimite immediately following the 2nd World War.
???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
In 1902 the Marmite Food Extract Company
chala is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 12:40   #2900
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
In 1902 the Marmite Food Extract Company
I decided not to correct the inaccuracies...sometimes is better for the purveyor of incorrect information to find out for themselves..
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 12:53   #2901

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I decided not to correct the inaccuracies.
And perhaps may amount to another 2000 + posts.
chala is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 13:02   #2902

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I decided not to correct the inaccuracies...sometimes is better for the purveyor of incorrect information to find out for themselves..
I apologize for more ignorance. I was wrong. Obviously a fable I heard as a child.

The fact is, as with so many good things as parliamentary government, civil service and the Beatles, it was England that first invented the brewers yeast vitamin B extract spread called marmite. Marmite preceded Vegemite by a number of years. In fact the Australian creation of Vegemite was a copy of the already successful Marmite created by England.

The English have brought many wonderful things to the world. Creating Marmite that the lead to its copy, Vegemite is arguably one of its greatest gifts to humanity. This is even taking into account the spreading of democracy and cricket to the four corners of the earth.

I must admit I do prefer English scones with strawberry jam and cream but I won't say no to a spread of Vegemite or Marmite on my morning toast.

https://www.vegemite.com.au/heritage/vegemite%20story
Old 21-08-2016, 13:12   #2903

Quote:
”For all those Marmite obsessives out there, the experts recommend a spoonful at a time. “A thin layer is all you need, not piled on your toast like chocolate spread,” says Brown. “A little of what you love won’t do you any harm.””

Marmite: the latest superfood? - Telegraph
chala is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 14:03   #2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ummm...same 7 people for the last six months.
May be 6 or less if

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
The
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Which idiots
are the same poster. Curious that one

Quote:
I apologize
for the other one.

Childish.
chala is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 15:45   #2905

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Which idiots have said that water vapour from volcanoes contribute to Global Warming? This is such a childish attempt to manufacture a straw argument to then dispel it. Pure propaganda by so called scientists. These AGW types must be getting very desperate to be resorting to manufacturing spurious argument that they can then magically debunk.

Idiots. What about the sulphur and other particle pollutants spewed into the atmosphere by volcanoes. No instead they talk about water vapour. Fraudsters. All of these amoral intellectually bankrupt charlatan fake scientists. Propably recent graduates of Berkley, Yale or Harvard. The new anti thinking and pro propaganda indoctrinating degree mills.
So the point that has been made many times regarding your disdain in peoples posts. They are idiots, childish, so called scientist, and fraudsters when they do not parallel your opinions and views.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 17:29   #2906

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:

Wow, I don't know what to say to this one. I never bought into "The right is anti-science" but you made me think if there is maybe some truth in this statement.

Sulphur and as you call it "other particle pollutants" will increase the albedo of the planet. If you understood my earlier posts you will know what that means. Water vapour on the other hand is a potent greenhouse gas.

Imagine this corrupt "recent graduates of Berkley, Yale or Harvard with their anti thinking and pro propaganda indoctrinating degrees" would not have looked into the role of volcanoes in regards of atmospheric composition. You would have used this against them in the same way you you use the fact that they did look into it against them. With you science can't win.

Btw. atmospheric composition, the impact of greenhouse gases and the role of atmospheric aerosols is very well studied and understood since over 100 years.
Old 21-08-2016, 18:03   #2907

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Wow, I don't know what to say to this one. I never bought into "The right is anti-science" but you made me think if there is maybe some truth in this statement.

Sulphur and as you call it "other particle pollutants" will increase the albedo of the planet. If you understood my earlier posts you will know what that means. Water vapour on the other hand is a potent greenhouse gas.

Imagine this corrupt "recent graduates of Berkley, Yale or Harvard with their anti thinking and pro propaganda indoctrinating degrees" would not have looked into the role of volcanoes in regards of atmospheric composition. You would have used this against them in the same way you you use the fact that they did look into it against them. With you science can't win.

Btw. atmospheric composition, the impact of greenhouse gases and the role of atmospheric aerosols is very well studied and understood since over 100 years.
I stand corrected. I had no idea water vapour was a very dangerous green house gas. That puts a stopper on hydrogen cars. I think we should look at putting a giant plastic canopy cover of Niagara and Victoria Falls. Can't imagine the global warming g effects from these two gigantic water aerosol makers.

How stupid of me to be more concerned about particles being thrown into the air by volcanoes from Chile to Indonesia.

But I stand enlightened. Thank you.
Old 21-08-2016, 18:04   #2908

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Another interesting tidbit is about CO2. We hear a lot about CO2 this in CO2 that. CO2 otherwise known as carbon dioxide is a non toxic gas that humans and animals expel while breathing and is considered a greenhouse gas. The stuff that comes out of your exhaust pipe in your automobile is NOT CO2, it is CO otherwise known as carbon monoxide and is a toxic gas but is not much of a greenhouse gas. Greenhouse gases are actually a good thing, there would be no life on this planet without it
Ok, if you really want to go with the thesis breathing CO2 will not kill you I suggest the following scientific experiment:

We know:
1. Humans breath in air containing 78% Nitrogen 21% Oxygen and about 0.9% Argon. Gases like Carbon-Dioxide, Nitrous-Oxides, Methane, and Ozone are trace gases that account for about a tenth of one percent of the atmosphere.

2. An average resting adult, the lungs take up about 250ml of oxygen every minute while excreting about 200ml of carbon dioxide.

The Thesis:

CO2 is not a lethal gas.

The Aim:

Prove scientifically that you can survive breathing "non-toxic" CO2

The Method:

Put a 10l plastic bag over you head and apply a air-tight seal around your neck. As you breath in you use up all the O2 (~2.1l) and replace it with CO2. Within about 10.5min all O2 is replaced with CO2. Write a log every 30s reporting your well-being. (You might need an assistant to continue your log in case your thesis is wrong and you fall unconscious).

Continue for about 20 minutes and report back here - or not. Either way we will know whether or not your thesis was right.
Old 21-08-2016, 18:06   #2909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So the point that has been made many times regarding your disdain in peoples posts. They are idiots, childish, so called scientist, and fraudsters when they do not parallel your opinions and views.
Keep it up. I did not make these comments about the poster. The comments were for the report writers.
Old 21-08-2016, 18:18   #2910

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
Ok, if you really want to go with the thesis breathing CO2 will not kill you I suggest the following scientific experiment:

We know:
1. Humans breath in air containing 78% Nitrogen 21% Oxygen and about 0.9% Argon. Gases like Carbon-Dioxide, Nitrous-Oxides, Methane, and Ozone are trace gases that account for about a tenth of one percent of the atmosphere.

2. An average resting adult, the lungs take up about 250ml of oxygen every minute while excreting about 200ml of carbon dioxide.

The Thesis:

CO2 is not a lethal gas.

The Aim:

Prove scientifically that you can survive breathing "non-toxic" CO2

The Method:

Put a 10l plastic bag over you head and apply a air-tight seal around your neck. As you breath in you use up all the O2 (~2.1l) and replace it with CO2. Within about 10.5min all O2 is replaced with CO2. Write a log every 30s reporting your well-being. (You might need an assistant to continue your log in case your thesis is wrong and you fall unconscious).

Continue for about 20 minutes and report back here - or not. Either way we will know whether or not your thesis was right.
Now you AGW types are trying to murder deniers. First you guys threaten jailing for disent and now you resort to trying to kill us off. I can see clearly through your plot. As clear as a clear plastic bag over my head.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising