Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 07:38   #2146
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
Yes it does still make a sound. Woodlands creatures are there to hear it.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:43   #2147

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Yes it does still make a sound. Woodlands creatures are there to hear it.
...and aliens...
fryewe is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 07:49   #2148

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I read the thread, yes I know, I was bored - it was raining here. All I can say is that most of went went on here doesn't surprise me, from the people who think the moon landing was faked and aliens are real.
Another one who fell for Lewandowski's retracted bizarre "research paper"?
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55   #2149

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
That depends on your definition of "sound". There are two equally valid answers depending on your frame of reference.

If you are using the physical science meaning of "a vibration that propagates as a typically audible mechanical wave of pressure and displacement, through a medium such as air or water" then the answer is yes.

If however you use the psychological and physiological meaning of "reception of such waves and their perception by the brain", then the answer is no.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 08:08   #2150

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
hmmm, Are you from the U.S (or Mexican) ? have you seen the news today of what's going on in your country?
You mean what the American media thinks I should be putting my attention on?...No, not for some time. Of course nothing like this goes on where you're from...right?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 09:05   #2151

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I've been both a victim and instigator of thread drift, but this nd thread is getting "ridiculouser and ridiculouser" !

(and don't start, I know that's not a real word.)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 09:23   #2152

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I've been both a victim and instigator of thread drift, but this nd thread is getting "ridiculouser and ridiculouser" !

(and don't start, I know that's not a real word.)
Nah, it hit the zenith of ridiculosity real early - at post #6.

Since then it's just been a fun game of whack-a-mole.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02   #2153

Meanwhile in the Arctic

June set another satellite-era record low for average sea ice extent, despite slower than average rates of ice loss. The slow rate of ice loss reflects the prevailing atmospheric pattern, with low pressure centered over the central Arctic Ocean and lower than average temperatures over the Beaufort Sea.

jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 10:25   #2154

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Meanwhile in the Arctic

June set another satellite-era record low for average sea ice extent, despite slower than average rates of ice loss. The slow rate of ice loss reflects the prevailing atmospheric pattern, with low pressure centered over the central Arctic Ocean and lower than average temperatures over the Beaufort Sea.

Is "prevailing atmospheric pattern" another term for local or regional weather phenomena, or more widespread but non-MMGW related events like "El Nino?"

If, as Curry and other climate scientists theorize, MMGW is likely not the dominant force in this long-term sea ice retreat, then could it also be reasonably attributed to a natural warming cycle, many of which have also occurred before human-derived CO2 increased to current levels?

I know you don't like questions, but these are mainly rhetorical, and designed to promote some critical thinking if not actual analysis when graphs like these are posted without much in the way of comment.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 14:51   #2155

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Meanwhile in the Arctic

Show us the latest up to date comparison chart against recent years, Jack
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 15:28   #2156
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Holy Smokes....A Rapid Drop in June Temps....

The Alarmists and MMGW Cultists won't like this.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 15:43   #2157

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Holy Smokes....A Rapid Drop in June Temps....

The Alarmists and MMGW Cultists won't like this.
Now you're being silly. This is proof positive of MM climate change. Dangerous climate change also includes cold events, dontcha know?
Old 08-07-2016, 15:44   #2158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Show us the latest up to date comparison chart against recent years, Jack
June 2016 is not up to date enough for you? Try http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 15:49   #2159

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I said it before and I will say it again its even on their projections.
One good volcano away from ice age.
No carbon credits for volcanos. Well maybe. Yellowstone volcano is one of if not the largest active volcanos in the world. Can we sell some carbon credits every year that it does not erupt?
One good volcano puts more "stuff" in the air in a couple of days than what? Most anything man can do in many, many years.

darylat8750 is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 15:52   #2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
This is actually a transcript from a recent interview of a very well known alarmist. Anyone care to guess who the orator is?
Quote:
...Because we're putting more CO2 into the atmosphere, more of it is making its way into the ocean literally lowering the pH making the oceans more acidic. We are dissolving those organisms quite literally and so you have this sort of perfect storm, forgive the pun, of consequences for ocean acidification, decreasing oxygen, warming temperatures, record warmth that has bleached the Great Barrier Reef. Ninety percent of the Great Barrier Reef was bleached in this latest event. It's more than we've ever seen before because those waters of the Southern Ocean waters were warmer than they've ever been before. We're seeing all of these things come together in a way that gravely threatens the oceans and anything that threatens the oceans threatens all of us. Threatens all life on Earth...
In case anyone was interested...

Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising