Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 18:49   #2131

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Aliens, or ocean rise? I know which one you'd bet on, if it came to that.

And you have no argument.
Speaking of no argument, and now that we have been refreshed on some of the actual science explaining why land masses have always risen and sunk, let's have another look at a few snippets from L-E's NY Times article about the sinking of Tangiers Island in the Chesapeake Bay:

1. " Tangier had lost two-thirds of its landmass since 1850."

2. "Over the past four centuries, Schulte estimates, more than 500 islands have disappeared from the bay, about 40 of them once inhabited."

3. "The land in and around the Chesapeake is sinking, because of lingering effects from geological events dating back 20,000 years."

4. The forces that make the Chesapeake area so vulnerable (the region currently experiences about five millimeters of relative sea-level rise annually, significantly more than the global annual average of three millimeters) will not be getting any better. “'The land is likely to be sinking for many thousands of years.'”

Huh. And somehow the problems Tangiers Island faces are attributable to MMGW, along with countless miles of the eastern seaboard. Go figure. But according to the article and its sources, parts of Miami Beach will be underwater in 2050. Unless you would prefer to believe Mr. Schulte from the Corps of Engineers who claims Miami is already underwater. Anyone know someone we could call down in Miami to see how high the water is??
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 18:51   #2132

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Absolutely....
You don't think I'm participating in this thread for anything but laughs do you...ha ha ha...now what outrageous link or thing can I post now to have a blast....
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 18:52   #2133

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I do remember it well Reefmagnet, and no, you were the one that said it was sinking from tatonic plate shifts or some nonsense. You completely denied had anything to do with seas rising. And No, you didn't use 'mathematics and facts' to support your argument.

Low-lying Maldives drowning under the weight of climate change | Stuff.co.nz
Nonsense?
The very island I live on (not Guam) has obvious evidence of subsistence in some areas and rising in others. I don't have any links, just looking at the shore as I sail around it and other long time residents' memories.

It's NOT going to capsize as a congressman (don't know what he was smoking at the time) said.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 21:09   #2134

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Nonsense?
The very island I live on (not Guam) has obvious evidence of subsistence in some areas and rising in others. I don't have any links, just looking at the shore as I sail around it and other long time residents' memories.

It's NOT going to capsize as a congressman (don't know what he was smoking at the time) said.

Oh come on.. surely he's smoking something You don't have to be a believer in MMGW to know he's on something. The following may explain it.

"In December 2009, Johnson revealed that he had been battling Hepatitis C (HCV) for over a decade, which resulted in slow speech and a tendency to regularly get "lost in thought in the middle of a discussion".[33] Johnson said that he learned he had the disease in 1998 but did not know how he contracted it. HCV-induced liver dysfunction often leads to hepatic encephalopathy, a cause of confusion."
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 22:17   #2135

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Nonsense?

Well...that's embarrassing! He has the vocabulary of a 2nd grader and the intelligence of a moron. Good grief, no wonder this country is so XXXXed up!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 23:15   #2136

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well...that's embarrassing! He has the vocabulary of a 2nd grader and the intelligence of a moron. Good grief, no wonder this country is so XXXXed up!
hmmm, Are you from the U.S (or Mexican) ? have you seen the news today of what's going on in your country?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20   #2137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

People, there have been posts in this thread with the entire text or large chunks of text taken out of copyrighted sources and posted, mostly without even any comments or analysis.

This is a violation of the right of fair use and is forbidden by the CF rules. It is also poor posting style -- if you are trying to make some argument -- make that argument, and make it in your own words, and use other people's words selectively to support your argument. Just cutting and pasting stuff you find in the Internet just clutters up the thread, besides being a possible copyright violation, and definitely violation of our Rules.

If you want someone to read an entire article, just post the link.

Thank you.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 05:08   #2138

Gauging the impact of climate change on US agriculture | PHYS.org
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 05:13   #2139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People, there have been posts in this thread with the entire text or large chunks of text taken out of copyrighted sources and posted, mostly without even any comments or analysis.

This is a violation of the right of fair use and is forbidden by the CF rules. It is also poor posting style -- if you are trying to make some argument -- make that argument, and make it in your own words, and use other people's words selectively to support your argument. Just cutting and pasting stuff you find in the Internet just clutters up the thread, besides being a possible copyright violation, and definitely violation of our Rules.

If you want someone to read an entire article, just post the link.

Thank you.
Thank you!
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 05:19   #2140

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I don't think SO quite understood the point. So now we get just a bare link with no comment or explanation.

I for one will not be bothering to follow any of them.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 05:42   #2141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I don't think SO quite understood the point. So now we get just a bare link with no comment or explanation.

I for one will not be bothering to follow any of them.

Yes -- if you want an outside source to complement a discussion, it's advisable to write something about whatever it is, you think the source is saying.

There's no substitute for thinking -- and arguing -- for yourself. Anyone can google up a bunch of links, but what do they mean?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:10   #2142
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I read the thread, yes I know, I was bored - it was raining here. All I can say is that most of went went on here doesn't surprise me, from the people who think the moon landing was faked and aliens are real.
Factor is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:37   #2143

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I read the thread, yes I know, I was bored - it was raining here. All I can say is that most of went went on here doesn't surprise me, from the people who think the moon landing was faked and aliens are real.
NASA believes the moon landings were real and also believe aliens are real. That should surprise you.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 07:31   #2144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

With how big the universe is believing that humans are the only sentient lifeforms is really dilusional IMO.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:34   #2145
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
With how big the universe is believing that humans are the only sentient lifeforms is really dilusional IMO.
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
conachair is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising