Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2016, 20:48   #1861

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
FWIW, I reported myself......
I told the mods to ignore your report. Just as I think you should ignore the thread.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 29-06-2016, 20:52   #1862

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You won't find it too funny when your home is being bulldozed by an advancing glacier in the not too distant future.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I find it less amusing that the source (a glacier) of the headwaters of the river which I draw my water is retreating rather rapidily.

I am quite prepared to sell glacier insurance to anyone gullible enough to believe in global cooling. It supplements my income from a pet care service for the those who believe in the rapture.
Old 29-06-2016, 21:02   #1863
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

[QUOTE=senormechanico;2155977]I
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The only thing the DC scoops is poop.[/QUOTE
Speaking of full of poop.....

I'm going to bet I'm going to be the first here.

I'm going to post this, then report my post as a flagrant whatever.
I hope this kills this STUPID THREAD ! That's the best case.
Worst case, I get banned. Whatever.
Maybe I'll join the ranks of Bob Perry who was banned here years ago.

If anyone is interested, take a screenshot of this post before it's removed.

If moderators look at the overall milleau of the thread, they ought to realize it has NOTHING TO DO with sailing in any our lifetimes and is only a click magnet to SELL ADVERTISING !

To all posters here, you're only making money for the website owners.

I'm going to have to agree....
This thread and all the MMGW Cultist Threads do nothing but sow division and hostility among the members that then spills into other threads.

Time to close it down or at least prosecute anyone who disagrees with me!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 29-06-2016, 21:05   #1864

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
I find it less amusing that the source (a glacier) of the headwaters of the river which I draw my water is retreating rather rapidily.

I am quite prepared to sell glacier insurance to anyone gullible enough to believe in global cooling. It supplements my income from a pet care service for the those who believe in the rapture.
Sooo. In your lifetime, were you expecting your glacier to grow, shrink or remain static? If it was the first or last choice, then that would be in total disagreement with recent (geologically speaking) climate. You only need to check historical sea level rise for that. So if you're not amused that something is doing what it is supposed to be doing then I guess that does indeed confirm your alarmist inclinations.

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 29-06-2016, 21:06   #1865

Quote:
A healthy skepticism is necessary...[snip a bunch of stuff completely unrelated to my post, which makes me wonder why you quoted my post...]
...since you never addressed my questions.

I infer from your post that you think direct measurement of the re-radiated energy from greenhouse gases is unnecessary because the evidence for AGW is already overwhelming.

But if the overwhelming evidence underwhelms so badly that a coherent policy can't be agreed on, why not expand our knowledge through direct measurement, if feasible?
fryewe is offline   Reply
Old 29-06-2016, 21:10   #1866

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

[QUOTE=senormechanico;2155977]I
Quote:
The only thing the DC scoops is poop.[/QUOTE
Speaking of full of poop.....

I'm going to bet I'm going to be the first here.

I'm going to post this, then report my post as a flagrant whatever.
I hope this kills this STUPID THREAD ! That's the best case.
Worst case, I get banned. Whatever.
Maybe I'll join the ranks of Bob Perry who was banned here years ago.

If anyone is interested, take a screenshot of this post before it's removed.

If moderators look at the overall milleau of the thread, they ought to realize it has NOTHING TO DO with sailing in any our lifetimes and is only a click magnet to SELL ADVERTISING !

To all posters here, you're only making money for the website owners.

And I bet the website owners are "pissed" at that idea. Sounds like they're not alone.

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 02:43   #1867

What Brexit Means for Climate | Huffington Post
Quote:
BOTTOM LINE
  • In the short run, Brexit means, at the very least, delays and complications in the process towards the ratification of the Paris Accord.
  • The financial volatility caused by the referendum’s outcome could distract the worlds’ financial regulators and have a negative impact on current efforts to better regulate climate-related financial disclosures.
  • Looking ahead, the incoming Eurosceptic government in the UK is unlikely to make climate change its priority, depriving global climate negotiations from a leader and political engine towards more ambitious greenhouse gas cuts.
  • In a worst case scenario, a full-blown global economic crisis would set back investments in clean energy, cut budget for both mitigation and adaptation efforts, and fuel further discontent from the middle-class and the unemployed.
  • Over the long run, a possible “contagion” effect enabling populist victories in upcoming elections in the U.S., Spain, France or Germany over the next 12 months could further hamper the enactment of effective global climate policy.
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 02:55   #1868

Antarctica Could Lose Most of Its Penguins to Climate Change | National Geographic
Quote:
Published Wednesday in Scientific Reports, the study, led by oceanographer Megan Cimino, found that up to 60 percent of the current Adélie penguin habitat in Antarctica could be unfit to host colonies by the end of the century.

The Adélie penguin is one of two true Antarctic penguins—the other being the emperor penguin (Aptenodytes forsteri)—and it inhabits the full extent of the continent. The penguins nest on land during the austral (southern) summer, and migrate during the winter to the edge of the sea ice, where they are able to feed at sea.[...]

The scientists found diverging trends at different sites. Some colonies, like the closely monitored population near Palmer Station, a United States research hub in northern Antarctica, saw declines of over 80 percent. Other sites were stable, and some even had growing colonies.

Tellingly, the sites that experienced population declines over the study period were often sites that experienced novel climates, or conditions outside the range of historical observations.[...]

Cimino explained the threat to the Adélie food supply: “Changes in [sea] ice and temperature can cause changes in the food, krill and fish.” In some areas, she continued, “the fish populations have gone down a ton, so their major diet in those areas is krill. In other areas, these penguins eat more fish, which are a more nutritious food source.”

Climate change could also reduce the quality of many penguin nesting sites by precipitating changes in local weather. Antarctica’s climate is generally cold, dry, and harsh, but warming could yield unprecedented rain, or prematurely melt snowfall, creating puddles on the ground.

According to Cimino, this could be bad news. “For penguins who lay their eggs on the ground … rain and puddles are bad because eggs can’t survive when they’re lying in a pool of water. Chicks that don’t have waterproof feathers can become wet and die from hypothermia.”[...]

In the face of a warming climate, the Adélie penguins may find refuge in the Ross and Amundsen Seas. These areas are thought to have been glacial refuges in the past, and climate projections suggest they may provide refuge again in the future.[...]

SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 05:20   #1869

Talking Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Classic...

Quote:
“Fundamentally, I’m a climate scientist and have spent much of my career with my head buried in climate-model output and observational climate data trying to tease out the signal of human-caused climate change,” Mr. Mann told the Democratic Platform Drafting Committee at a hearing.
“What is disconcerting to me and so many of my colleagues is that these tools that we’ve spent years developing increasingly are unnecessary because we can see climate change, the impacts of climate change, now, playing out in real time, on our television screens, in the 24-hour news cycle,” he said.
"Trying to tease out the signal..." of something so obvious that we can see it on our TV screens...

So obvious that "...these tools we've spent years developing are unnecessary..."

Heh.

Cut the grants and close down his little PSU-based empire and see how long he will insist that the tools are unnecessary. Hyperbolae...

Tease out the signal, indeed. I can at least agree with his "head buried" description of his work.
Old 30-06-2016, 05:22   #1870

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post

I infer from your post that you think direct measurement of the re-radiated energy from greenhouse gases is unnecessary because the evidence for AGW is already overwhelming.

But if the overwhelming evidence underwhelms so badly that a coherent policy can't be agreed on, why not expand our knowledge through direct measurement, if feasible?
It is easy enough to measure the various wavelengths of radiated energy to determine how much energy of each wavelength is retained by CO2 and other atmospheric gases. We don't need a massive world wide sensing net for that. CO2 let's higher frequency wavelengths of energy from the Sun through but absorbs the lower wavelengths that try to escape back into outer space. Were it not for this well known and quantified phenomenon much of the Earth would be like the ice planet Hoth. The heat trapping features of our atmosphere and oceans are responsible for a livable day/night temperature range.

It is also easy enough to measure the atmospheric concentration of CO2. It is rising faster than any time in recent history and is now higher than in many millennia. Therefore the heat trapping capacity of the atmosphere is rising. So the logical expectation is that "average" atmospheric temperature should be always rising. But the challenge in estimating how much it should rise is enormous because there are many other factors besides CO2 that affect the actual measured temperature. So measuring other things such as Arctic sea ice extent which can be done by satellite can tell us something about the temperature trend in that part of the world.

The physics based evidence for AGW is overwhelming for sure. CO2 traps heat and more CO2 traps more heat. The rub is that the vast majority of estimating models predicted a higher average temperature rise than what we have seen to date. But that does not invalidate the fact that rising CO2 levels will cause increased temperatures all other things being equal. It just means that all other things are not equal.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply
Old 30-06-2016, 05:26   #1871

Quote:

The measurements have been done in labs and in the field;the energy budget has been calculated.

Old 30-06-2016, 05:39   #1872

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The rub is that the vast majority of estimating models predicted a higher average temperature rise than what we have seen to date.
Which begs the question I raised as to why not make direct measurements of the energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale
...the energy budget has been calculated.
I asked about COMPREHENSIVE measurements, not calculations.

Neither of which addresses the question I raised. It's okay not to know, and to say so.
Old 30-06-2016, 05:41   #1873

Quote:
The measurements have been done in labs and in the field;the energy budget has been calculated.

By the way, nice graphic. But what's that cloud doing in there?
Old 30-06-2016, 05:44   #1874

Quote:
Which begs the question I raised as to why not make direct measurements of the energy?

I asked about COMPREHENSIVE measurements, not calculations.

Neither of which addresses the question I raised. It's okay not to know, and to say so.
See transmitterdan ' post. It is nice as succinct.

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-06-2016, 05:45   #1875

Quote:
By the way, nice graphic. But what's that cloud doing in there?
Read the labels.

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising