Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 03:07   #1411

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Iceland has developed an ingenious solution for combatting carbon emissions | Quartz
Quote:
Researchers in Iceland have developed a process to limit carbon dioxide from energy production escaping into the atmosphere, by converting the CO2 into solid rock. Such a process could create a permanent storage solution for some of the tons of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere each year.

The process involves injecting CO2 and water into the ground, where the mixture reacts with surrounding rock to form stone. The mineralization of the gas took about two years, which is a much shorter time period than researchers expected.

Until now, injecting CO2 into underground reservoirs hasn’t provided feasible storage for one big reason: leaks. Gas seeps out and escapes when seismic activity creates cracks in impermeable rock. To mitigate this issue, the team in Iceland blended CO2 with hydrogen sulfide and water, then injected it into porous basalt. The researchers hoped the mixture would react with the basalt and solidify into stone over about 10 years.

After checking on the mixture less than two years later, they were surprised to find about 95% of their injection had already formed carbonate rock. They described their findings in a report this week in the journal Science.[...]
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 03:52   #1412

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Greenland witnessed its highest June temperature ever recorded on Thursday | Washington Post
Quote:
Nuuk, Greenland’s capital, soared to 75 degrees (24 Celsius) Thursday, marking the warmest temperature ever recorded in the Arctic country during June. Nuuk sits on Greenland’s southwest coast, where the country’s warmest weather typically occurs.

It was warmer in Nuuk than it was in New York City, where the high was only 71 degrees.

The Danish Meteorological Institute has confirmed on a preliminary basis that the Nuuk measurement would replace the previous record of 73.8 degrees (23.2 Celsius), which was set in Kangerlussuaq on June 15 in 2014. That temperature was also recorded in southwest Greenland about 200 miles (320 km) north of Nuuk.[...]

Thursday’s toasty reading in Nuuk marks the second exceptionally warm temperature recorded in southwest Greenland since April, when the ice melt season began about a month prematurely.

On April 11, Kangerlussuaq hit a record high of 64.4 degrees (17.8 Celsius). “This was the warmest April temperature on record at that location, and it nearly set an all-time warm temperature record for Greenland as a whole,” reported Mashable’s Andrew Freedman.[...]
Old 12-06-2016, 03:54   #1413
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

The evidence just keeps mounting. And, so does the denial.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:03   #1414

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
to the first point.

I don't think the denials are mounting really. Well, perhaps on CF.

But in the real world those who don't accept what the scientists are saying are becoming less and less. In Australia, just getting rid of our anti science prime minister helped a bit. Then we had an entire government in power that denied the knowledge. Now, they don't dispute the knowledge, there just not keen on spending any money to alleviate the problem.

As each year goes by, it's becoming harder and harder to ignore the facts.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 04:57   #1415

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Wonder why the temperature got that high? Couldn't have anything to do with siting could it?

StuM is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 05:50   #1416

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Wonder why the temperature got that high? Couldn't have anything to do with siting could it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
...That temperature was also recorded in southwest Greenland about 200 miles (320 km) north of Nuuk...
You and your denialist buddies wouldn't be making such thin arguments if you weren't so desperate to not be proven wrong.

Automated airport weather station | Wikipedia
Quote:
Automated airport weather stations are automated sensor suites which are designed to serve aviation and meteorological observing needs for safe and efficient aviation operations, weather forecasting and climatology. Automated airport weather stations have become part of the backbone of weather observing in the United States and Canada and are becoming increasingly more prevalent worldwide due to their efficiency and cost-savings.[...]
Old 12-06-2016, 06:30   #1417

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
to the first point.

I don't think the denials are mounting really. Well, perhaps on CF.

But in the real world those who don't accept what the scientists are saying are becoming less and less. In Australia, just getting rid of our anti science prime minister helped a bit. Then we had an entire government in power that denied the knowledge. Now, they don't dispute the knowledge, there just not keen on spending any money to alleviate the problem.

As each year goes by, it's becoming harder and harder to ignore the facts.
Ho hum. I see it more like Newton's 3rd law

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/ch...8c2a460c02f4ba

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ne...-freeze-/63649

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ratures-sunday

https://weather.com/storms/winter/ne...-south-feb2016

http://www.denverpost.com/2014/11/11...ing-in-effect/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ice-chaos-asia

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 06:37   #1418
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Reef remember warm = MMGW
Cold = weather
As to the temperature sensor placement in heat islands we have all been over this a long time ago.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:46   #1419

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Reef remember warm = MMGW
Cold = weather
As to the temperature sensor placement in heat islands we have all been over this a long time ago.
Yes I know that, but I didn't want to hurt their feelings by pointing this out directly.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 07:01   #1420
cruiser

sequestering carbon dioxide? Someone should tell Denbury Resources...

Denbury Resources to drill another carbon dioxide well - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS
AD28 is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 07:07   #1421

You might want to review your Newtonian Laws...

Quote:
January 2016

The January 2016 globally-averaged temperature across land and ocean surfaces was 1.04°C (1.87°F) above the 20th century average of 12.0°C (53.6°F), the highest for January in the 137-year period of record, breaking the previous record of 2007 by 0.16°C (0.29°F). This departure from average is the second highest among all months in the historical record, second only to December 2015, which was 1.11°C (2.00°F) above average. These two months are the only two to-date to surpass a monthly temperature departure of 1°C. January 2016 also marks the ninth consecutive month that the monthly temperature record has been broken and the 14th consecutive month (since December 2014) that the monthly global temperature ranked among the three warmest for its respective month.
Quote:
February 2016

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for February 2016 was the highest for February in the 137-year period of record, at 1.21°C (2.18°F) above the 20th century average of 12.1°C (53.9°F). This not only was the highest for February in the 1880–2016 record—surpassing the previous record set in 2015 by 0.33°C / 0.59°F—but it surpassed the all-time monthly record set just two months ago in December 2015 by 0.09°C (0.16°F). Overall, the six highest monthly temperature departures in the record have all occurred in the past six months. February 2016 also marks the 10th consecutive month a monthly global temperature record has been broken.
Quote:
March 2016

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for March 2016 was the highest for this month in the 1880–2016 record, at 1.22°C (2.20°F) above the 20th century average of 12.7°C (54.9°F). This surpassed the previous record set in 2015 by 0.32°C / (0.58°F), and marks the highest monthly temperature departure among all 1,635 months on record, surpassing the previous all-time record set just last month by 0.01°C (0.02°F). Overall, the nine highest monthly temperature departures in the record have all occurred in the past nine months. March 2016 also marks the 11th consecutive month a monthly global temperature record has been broken, the longest such streak in NOAA's 137 years of record keeping.
Quote:
April 2016

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for April 2016 was 1.10°C (1.98°F) above the 20th century average of 13.7°C (56.7°F)—the highest temperature departure for April since global records began in 1880. This value surpassed the previous record set in 2010 by 0.28°C (0.50°F). This was also the fourth highest monthly temperature departure among all 1,636 months on record, behind March 2016 (1.23°C/2.21°F), February 2016 (1.19°C/2.14°F), and December 2015 (1.12°C/2.02°F). Overall, 13 out of the 15 highest monthly temperature departures in the record have all occurred since February 2015, with February 1998 and January 2007 among the 15 highest monthly temperature departures. April 2016 also marks the fifth consecutive month (since December 2015) that the global monthly temperature departure from average has surpassed 1.0°C (1.8°F) and it is the 12th consecutive month a monthly global temperature record has been broken, the longest such streak in NOAA's 137 years of record keeping.
(Status of May 2016 not yet available)

Old 12-06-2016, 07:31   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Quiet kids.
If the Establishment finds out that Plants actually thrive on the evil CO2 being expelled as a waste product of respiration and combustion...egads...do you know how many research grants are at stake here?

The solution to MMGW is planting Trees and not taxing and regulating the population's use of fuel? Crap...the entire MMGW Infrastructure could collapse over this heretical talk! Where is my safe space....I'm feeling sick....

If anything, this shows the follow of the draconian steps the MMGW hucksters say we need...lets reconfigure the entire world economy...or just plant trees...ha ha ha ....it puts their craziness into perspective don't it.
So. Tell us what you'd do to encourage the planting of trees. This would go a long way towards helping me shed the notion that you naysayers simply don't want to do anything to clean up the environment or minimize future harm to it.

Ontario declared a greenbelt in 2005. Made the developers spitting mad, but it's preserved farmland and forests in the midst of a fast-developing urban sprawl.

Your move.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 09:03   #1423
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
You and your denialist buddies...
Once someone brings religious speak into the argument...you know they have lost the Scientific argument.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 09:07   #1424
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
So. Tell us what you'd do to encourage the planting of trees.

Your move

Sorry Amigo...as someone like myself living totally off the grid with Solar, I won't be lectured by someone not living their own talk.

You are the one that believes in MMGW, so what are YOU doing to save the world...oh and if arguing on a sailing site is all ya got..ha ha ha..sorry game over. If you won't even go solar and get off evil carbon based fuels, and YOU BELIEVE it..ha ha ah...it means in your gut you know it is all a hoax and have no right to lecture others....well at least not with any credibility.

When a MMGW Denier has a smaller carbon footprint than YOU...ha ha ha...you have some soul searching to do.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 09:26   #1425

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It looks like a report on the paper I linked to yes and thank you jack just doesn't remember he even commented on my original post of the paper.
You posted that when I was sailing. I cannot find any responses that I made to that paper.

I will say that reforestation is a considered as one adaption to climate change. That reforestation will replace agricultural / pasture land with forest.

Quote:
"There's not going to be a one-answer solution to slowing climate change," DeWalt said. "It's going to take a lot of different parts. If we can promote secondary forests and their protection, then we can go part of the way. Let's add that to the tool box."
The reforestation which they speak is in the tropics, not in the mid-latitudes

I know you like to think that this "blows current models out of the water." It does not.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising