Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 18:02   #1201

Boat: Landlocked right now.
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
...This is the way the Country and World is heading...
I think I need one of those before setting sail and heading off into the sunset:

PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Edit: Oops, this no longer makes sense. It was in reply to Adoxograph's disappeared post that said:

"I read the legislation here. C'mon SV THIRD DAY this is clearly satire."
Sorry StuM I deleted my post when I realised the source was not a satire site.
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:15   #1202
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
I read the legislation here (Today's Law As Amended). C'mon SV THIRD DAY this is clearly satire.
If only it was satire mi Amigo....but alas...the MMGW movement is getting desperate and unfortunately there is a growing movement in the US to not debate issues, but to silence the other side. Again...who's side will you be on?
Freedom vs Tyranny?
Free Speech vs Totalitarianism?
We have a choice to make....choose wisely.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:24   #1203

I always go with Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I'm a scientist, my research is in host stars of exoplanetary systems. I know one thing for sure: Scientific progress is seldom made without skeptics to be proven wrong (and sometimes proven even right)! What is the point of further research if everyone agrees and the science is settled?

@SV THIRD DAY Wouldn't a law like this be considered unconstitutional in the USA?
Old 02-06-2016, 18:30   #1204
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
@SV THIRD DAY Wouldn't a law like this be considered unconstitutional in the USA?
A great many things go on these days that are clearly "Unconstitutional".
However, we are now living in a Post Constitutional Era, where the "living breathing" document can be made to restrict or allow whatever 9 (or 8 at the moment) black robe Super Legislators want.
Old 02-06-2016, 18:31   #1205

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
How Dare you...

Landmark California bill would allow prosecution of climate-change skeptics - Washington Times

This is the way the Country and World is heading...don't agree with the Power that Be and KaPaw...you are a Criminal worthy of Persecution.

I would be sickened to be on the side of any argument that feels it needs to use such tactics....but will our friends in the MMGW movement cheer or will they stand with Freedom, even if it is the freedom to be wrong in their eyes?

This is a Test...and the results will be felt by you and your Children long after the World has moved away from Carbon based fuels.
Rich...This is a bogus site. The bill is not true.
TO ALL OTHERS. THIS LINK ADDS A TON OF ADWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER...Thanx Rich
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:31   #1206

Quote:
It a common mistake to confuse weather with climate and climate variability with climate change. It comes all down to understanding the basic of statistics and of course the ability to comprehend the terminology used by climate scientists.

Weather can be highly variable on a daily, weekly, or even yearly basis. Today might be dry with a top temperature of 22 °C. Tomorrow might be wet, with a top of 14 °C. The weather is what you experience each day.

Climate is the average weather pattern in a place over at least 30 years.

Climate variability describes the way climate elements such as temperature and rainfall depart from the average value in given months, seasons, years, decades or centuries. Consecutive summers, for example, will not all be the same, with some cooler and some warmer than the long-term average. Australia’s climate for i.e. is famously variable. The El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO), for example, has a major impact on our rainfall, with El Niño conditions occurring every three to eight years and generally resulting in below average rainfall over much of eastern Australia, while wetter than average conditions can occur during La Niña years.

Climate change refers to a statistically-significant trend in climate over many decades. It is superimposed on natural yearly-to-decadal climate variability. This variability can mask or enhance underlying trends.Climate is said to be stable if the long-term average does not change significantly over time.

However, the data shows climate is changing worldwide. Some places are cooling down, others are getting warmer, but the trend over all data shows that Earth's temperature is heating up.

You are welcome. But be careful with your mooring lines if you are moored for aeons . Sea levels are raising but not really because of the influence of celestial bodies.

PS: If everyone would use the above definitions, most of the "misunderstandings" here would disappear. But so would the fun watching this highly dogma and believe driven debate.
Sorry to say but I think to you are being somewhat condescending. That's OK. I've come to expect it from the climate change wonks. Can I kindly suggest you re-read my post about climate change and weather. You will see that I don't accept the premise over which the convoluted climate warming house has been built.

You said:

"Climate change refers to a statistically-significant trend in climate over many decades. It is superimposed on natural yearly-to-decadal climate variability. This variability can mask or enhance underlying trends.Climate is said to be stable if the long-term average does not change significantly over time."

I say it is asinine to base models over decades when you should be using century and millennia.

But what difference does a thousand or million years make!
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:33   #1207
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Nope...it is TRUE.

It's the Washington Times Site
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nge-skeptics/s page...

Maybe the Mexican Internet is playing tricks on you?

As shocking as it it...it's time to come to terms with how the MMGW proponents are pushing their Agenda...by force.
Old 02-06-2016, 18:34   #1208

Quote:
PS:

Sorry StuM I deleted my post when I realised the source was not a satire site.
I googled it and that bill came up with other States also. The fact that it added a ton of adware to me system spoke volumes.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 02-06-2016, 18:38   #1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Climate biggots sure do have a way with words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Sorry to say but I think to you are being somewhat condescending. That's OK. I've come to expect it from the climate change wonks.
Oh...you must mean like the above statement.
Old 02-06-2016, 18:41   #1210
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is great...a real parallel to the other thread that was shut down. Looking forward to the end. Go guys!
Am I missing something?
Old 02-06-2016, 18:50   #1211

Quote:
Thanks for your concern, but so far the conversation has been civil, polite and educational. Relax...drink a Pacifico and have a Gina Burger.
Quote:
Am I missing something?
I don't think so...you already replied to that post...see above. Maybe too many Pacifico's on the menu for you my friend.
Old 02-06-2016, 18:59   #1212
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
TO ALL OTHERS. THIS LINK ADDS A TON OF ADWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER...Thanx Rich
Unfortunately it is true I found it and no adware are you sure you weren't actlly on one of those sites? Wait nope you are an MMGW supporter so this is just another part of the meme spread misdirection to keep people from seeing the facts.
Old 02-06-2016, 19:05   #1213

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Unfortunately it is true I found it and no adware are you sure you weren't actlly on one of those sites? Wait nope you are an MMGW supporter so this is just another part of the meme spread misdirection to keep people from seeing the facts.
Then that truly amazes me...but yes when I went to the Washington post site, i received 3 pop-ups and my fan which rarely comes on was screaming. I just bought a new Toshiba SSD laptop. Maybe my anti-virus is weak.
Old 02-06-2016, 19:09   #1214

Quote:
Rich...This is a bogus site. The bill is not true
Yes first I thought it was satire too but then I found this here: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01520160SB1161
Old 02-06-2016, 19:24   #1215

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Third Day's first link to the Wash. Times article worked for me. No adware.

Here's a direct link to the proposed legislation which recently died in the Calif. Senate without getting to a vote:

Today's Law As Amended

Check out how the bill is titled -- downright Orwellian . . . or maybe something out of N. Korea: "California Climate Science Truth and Accountability Act of 2016"

Funny, I always thought the best remedy for what some consider bogus speech was more speech? Whatever happened to the impetus behind the U.S. 1st Amend., namely that a "free marketplace of ideas" was the best guarantee of uncovering the truth? As adoxo just pointed out, isn't this one of the foundational precepts of the scientific method? With a purported 99.9% consensus, what exactly are the AGW proponents afraid of?

Something must be scaring them when we see threats of criminal prosecution from the federal & state govts, repeated interest in getting another thread closed down, deceptive posts designed to exaggerate how settled the science is, and of course the villification of an entire industry that makes our high standard of living possible. How far are people willing to go to make themselves feel like they're saving the planet?
Exile is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising