Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 05:01   #1051

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Getting back to science for a minute...

A recent paper published in Nature and written by the Canadian government says that the oil sands operations in Canada produce copious amounts of vapor that through chemistry create atmospheric aerosols. Aerosols, as we know from science, tend to reflect the sun's radiant energy back into space. But these same aerosols are not good for oxygen breathing creatures. So the question becomes should we spend many billions trying to stop the vapor emissions and thus speed up global warming or should we leave things as they are?
stop the tar sand operations would be an alternate form of leaving things as they are, i.e. a third option.
but only green hippies would suggest that.
Simonsays is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 05:08   #1052

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:

A recent paper published in Nature and written by the Canadian government says that the oil sands operations in Canada produce copious amounts of vapor that through chemistry create atmospheric aerosols. Aerosols, as we know from science, tend to reflect the sun's radiant energy back into space. But these same aerosols are not good for oxygen breathing creatures. So the question becomes should we spend many billions trying to stop the vapor emissions and thus speed up global warming or should we leave things as they are?
Let's just stop using the Earth as a waste dump.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 07:47   #1053

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Respectfully Jim, I don't think that's an accurate or fair representation of the current state of climate science. "Taking the chance" or balancing the risks against the costs is ultimately what society and its leaders will have to determine based on science that has a more reasonable degree of certainty than where it's at now. But it's not just about the science itself, but the trustworthiness of the proponents. In the U.S. anyway, the public is divided, polarized, and distrustful of its opposition on many issues that affect them more immediately and significantly. In this environment, and regardless of which side is to blame, the extreme politicization of this scientific issue is very unfortunate.
Well certainly politicization is the problem that keeps the 'debate' going. But again, there is really no debate among scientists about the causes, just about the degrees...(HaHa)

As to what, if any, plan to take, regarding costs and economies, there are (to my mind) a couple of things to keep in focus.

One, every speck of 'wealth', in one form or another, currently on Earth was (and, for the most part, will remain) here before the concept of money was ever conceived (and after the concept disappears).

Two, the Earth is a finite system that finds and maintains its equilibrium at a rate independent of any individual conspecific groups of life forms wants, needs or desires.

And finally, because of, among other things, informational overload on one side and general affluential lazyness on the other, the status and reliability of the actual versus the perceived science are almost completely unrecognizable. To winnow out the wheat (good science) from the chaff (sensationalist claims) is (to continue the agricultural metaphor) a hard row to hoe.

To find out what's really going on is a full time job, and once you think you know, 5 days down the row dynamic chaos shoots you right in the face....
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 08:48   #1054

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

In this case it's not a waste dump. It's stuff that is there "naturally" except the Canadians uncovered a lot more of the material while mining the bitumen. Nobody "dumped" anything. A lot of bitumen is sitting on top of the ground in many places not only Canada e.g. California, Kuwait, etc.

Anyway, my question was about the scientific aspect is it better to try to stop these vapors or leave them alone due to the "beneficial" reduction in warming?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 08:52   #1055
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
In this case it's not a waste dump. It's stuff that is there "naturally" except the Canadians uncovered a lot more of the material while mining the bitumen. Nobody "dumped" anything. A lot of bitumen is sitting on top of the ground in many places not only Canada e.g. California, Kuwait, etc.

Anyway, my question was about the scientific aspect is it better to try to stop these vapors or leave them alone due to the "beneficial" reduction in warming?
You do realize that over 2/3 of the aerosols/ voc's are from trees and not humans.
Old 26-05-2016, 09:05   #1056

Quote:

The bitumen itself does not produce these aerosols. It produced after it is mined.

As to your question:, your "beneficial" reduction in warming results in a serious health hazard.

Quote:
Secondary organic aerosols are produced when volatile organic compounds interact with sunlight and other airborne chemicals to create tiny particles, which have been found to cause lung and heart problems and other health effects.
Old 26-05-2016, 09:06   #1057

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
You do realize that over 2/3 of the aerosols/ voc's are from trees and not humans.
Which means that 1/3 are from human activities over which we have some control. Witness the Clean Air Acts of the 1970's.
Old 26-05-2016, 09:19   #1058
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Anthropogenic global warming if it is happening , is the fault of the people that eat a vegetarian diet
Lettuce is ‘three times worse than bacon' for emissions and vegetarian diets could be bad for environment | Science | News | The Independent
Old 26-05-2016, 10:07   #1059

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Well certainly politicization is the problem that keeps the 'debate' going. But again, there is really no debate among scientists about the causes, just about the degrees...(HaHa)

As to what, if any, plan to take, regarding costs and economies, there are (to my mind) a couple of things to keep in focus.

One, every speck of 'wealth', in one form or another, currently on Earth was (and, for the most part, will remain) here before the concept of money was ever conceived (and after the concept disappears).

Two, the Earth is a finite system that finds and maintains its equilibrium at a rate independent of any individual conspecific groups of life forms wants, needs or desires.

And finally, because of, among other things, informational overload on one side and general affluential lazyness on the other, the status and reliability of the actual versus the perceived science are almost completely unrecognizable. To winnow out the wheat (good science) from the chaff (sensationalist claims) is (to continue the agricultural metaphor) a hard row to hoe.

To find out what's really going on is a full time job, and once you think you know, 5 days down the row dynamic chaos shoots you right in the face....
Very perceptive comments. Your para. that I bolded may help explain why at least half the populace is skeptical. Not so much on the largely undisputed fact that humans have had an impact, but that humans have the ability to impact to such an extent as to cause the catastrophic consequences that a smaller percentage of the scientific community predicts.

Your last para. strongly suggests that this is not an area given to monolithic conclusions that only support one side. While such scientific certainty exists establishing the connection btwn. lung cancer and smoking, for e.g., it is more difficult to believe that similarly hard & fast conclusions made in the complex realm of climate science are not driven by ideology. If the skeptics are wrong and the science is as certain as its proponents have been saying all along, then that should ultimately carry the day like it did to overcome the tobacco cos.' attempts to suppress scientific evidence of the harm from smoking. Attempting to silence or obscure the contrary evidence with respect to CC is extremely short-sighted imho, and has and will backfire.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 10:23   #1060

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
stop the tar sand operations would be an alternate form of leaving things as they are, i.e. a third option.
but only green hippies would suggest that.
The first two options are illustrative of the complicated choices a society utterly dependent on fossil fuels has to make. The third option might mean that Jack's coop gas station might have to find an alternative source for its product, and probably at a higher price. Whether you consider these choices as "bad" or "worse," there aren't many good options right now, although history suggests there will be.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger . . . .
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 10:33   #1061

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

These climate change threads have been tolerated by moderators as they are periphally related to sailing and cruising, however, the personal innuendos and attacks, as well as any political discussion, needs to stop. Any further instances, and this thread will be closed.

It is now made a hot topic, meaning we will scrutinize it for infractions, and at the first sign of it continuing to derail, be shut down, with infractions likely.
Old 26-05-2016, 12:03   #1062

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Threads like this make me want to go to Sailing Anarchy to chill out.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 12:21   #1063

[QUOTE=Exile;2129779]Very perceptive comments. /QUOTE]

I'd say very false comments, considering how easy they are to refute.
jwing is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 15:52   #1064

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

But that "waste" came from the Earth in the first place (unless it was brought in by extra-terrestrials) - so it's actually re-cycling.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 26-05-2016, 16:09   #1065
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
But that "waste" came from the Earth in the first place (unless it was brought in by extra-terrestrials) - so it's actually re-cycling.
Closed loop system....
I learned something about that in Biology Class.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising