Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 17:57   #856
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Hey isn't that good news?
Shorter routes means less fuel consumed..means less CO2 per pound of stuff from China Trump promises to slap a tariff on....like his Trump ties.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2016, 00:19   #857

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I hear the Peoples Republic of China is dropping a container load of those boil in a cup electric water heater thing's. They are going to string them together on a very very long extension cord attached to a made in China solar array. They hope to boil the sea water enough to save on ice breakers and the obvious fuel costs of running those big steel ships. For the life of me I don't understand why they just don't set off some thermonuclear warheads in the northern passage. Seems to me it would be a whole lot quicker than ice breakers and those water boiling in a cup things . A few thermonuclear discharges will I'm sure do a lot of ice melting and clear the northern passage of those big ice cubes. Yes I know it will leave a lot of nuclear isotopes all over the place. But a small price to pay for quicker Trump tie deliveries from China.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2016, 14:56   #858

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Did you forget your medication today?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2016, 16:56   #859

Boat: wanting a cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
I hear the Peoples Republic of China is dropping a container load of those boil in a cup electric water heater thing's. They are going to string them together on a very very long extension cord attached to a made in China solar array. They hope to boil the sea water enough to save on ice breakers and the obvious fuel costs of running those big steel ships. For the life of me I don't understand why they just don't set off some thermonuclear warheads in the northern passage. Seems to me it would be a whole lot quicker than ice breakers and those water boiling in a cup things . A few thermonuclear discharges will I'm sure do a lot of ice melting and clear the northern passage of those big ice cubes. Yes I know it will leave a lot of nuclear isotopes all over the place. But a small price to pay for quicker Trump tie deliveries from China.
If people actually knew how much nuclear waste the russians dumped in the Arctic circle...
meatservo is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2016, 17:08   #860
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
If people actually knew how much nuclear waste the russians dumped in the Arctic circle...
Not to mention just how many icebreakers they won't admit to currently operating in the Arctic.
Old 21-04-2016, 18:55   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Not to mention just how many icebreakers they won't admit to currently operating in the Arctic.
Do tell.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2016, 18:56   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatservo View Post
Let's see that.
Old 21-04-2016, 19:35   #863
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Do tell.
I posted the data before of the numbers and ratings of the 40+ that they admit to . Which includes 14 nuke powered now I don't remember the exact ratings on most but the nukes are rated to up to 3 meters thick multi year sea ice. And as I said that's just the ones they actually admit to.
Old 21-04-2016, 19:41   #864

Quote:
I posted the data before of the numbers and ratings of the 40+ that they admit to . Which includes 14 nuke powered now I don't remember the exact ratings on most but the nukes are rated to up to 3 meters thick multi year sea ice. And as I said that's just the ones they actually admit to.
OK show me the ones to which they do not admit.

Quote:
Old 21-04-2016, 21:11   #865

Quote:
Very interesting. As I stroke my chin. Mmmmm. Let's see. So we have 40+ including 14+ nuclear powered ice breakers that I would suspect are working around the clock to destroy ice mass in the Arctic.

This raises an interesting question. Are our illustrious climate scientists taking this ice breakup and displacement into account with their "rising" water level calculations?

By the way we have constantly been told that ice melting in the Arctic is causing the seas to rise. How come when I have ice cubes in a glass that melt the water level doesn't change? I think it has something to do with equal displacement of mass.

But of course the onland glacier melts will of themselves add water to the occeans. But on the other hand so does pumping water from on land aquifers that get eventually flushed out to the ocean. And let's not talk about events like the past weeks rains in Texas that would have added many times the water from glacier melts in water mass to the oceans.

But of course I need to go back and take my meds. :-)

What in the world would a blond women know about science.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 21-04-2016, 21:37   #866
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Very interesting. As I stroke my chin. Mmmmm. Let's see. So we have 40+ including 14+ nuclear powered ice breakers that I would suspect are working around the clock to destroy ice mass in the Arctic.

This raises an interesting question. Are our illustrious climate scientists taking this ice breakup and displacement into account with their "rising" water level calculations?

But of course I need to go back and take my meds. :-)

Here's the kicker young lady the 40+ icebreakers are just the Russian ones true are literally hundreds of icebreakers of various types that are in active service on the planet. I posted a link to a comprehensive list on here . I will see if I can find it again.
Old 21-04-2016, 21:43   #867
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Here's them real kicker I bet the MMGW " scientists ". Do know about the icebreaker activity and dontmwant it to be inn in so far as the actual extent. If it were fully disclosed they couldn't blame the loss of Arctic sea ice solely on climate change. But I'm just an engineer what do I know.
Old 21-04-2016, 21:57   #868

Quote:
But I'm just an engineer what do I know.
Apparently not much.

Quote:
“The actual contribution is miniscule—only one part in a million of the total ice cover.”
Are icebreakers changing the climate? | Icelights: Your Burning Questions About Ice & Climate
Old 21-04-2016, 22:00   #869

Quote:
By the way we have constantly been told that ice melting in the Arctic is causing the seas to rise.
Where are you getting that misinformation?
Old 21-04-2016, 22:31   #870
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
By the way we have constantly been told that ice melting in the Arctic is causing the seas to rise. How come when I have ice cubes in a glass that melt the water level doesn't change? I think it has something to do with equal displacement of mass.

Hold that though.....

Arctic ice is fresh water but the water below it is salt. Two different densities. So the fresh water cube sits slightly higher in a salt water glass.

This would cause the arctic ice to displace a slightly bit more when it melts, due to the higher density salt water below it. So if the arctic sea ice melted it would raise the ocean levels. But only by about 3/4"

You are right that fresh water ice cubes in a glass of fresh water will not cause a change in water level. Same with salt water ice in salt water (yuck!).

Blonde Power..... I am sometimes a consulting engineer.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising