Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2015, 11:27   #631

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It is true that Margaret Sanger was a proponent of eugenics. Sanger was passionate about contraception—perhaps to a fault—and her fervor about promoting her birth control agenda led her to align herself with eugenicists, along with racists and an assortment of people of questionable character.
http://rhrealitycheck.wpengine.netdn.../08/Sanger.pdf

Sanger was also a supporter of the Anti-Nazi Commitee.
https://www.nyu.edu/projects/sanger/...Doc=240246.xml

A 2011 report by Life Dynamics, which opposes abortion, used Census data to determine the African-American and Hispanic population of each zipcode where Planned Parenthood has an office. The report was intended to show that the abortion clinics are placed mostly in areas where black residents exceed the average black population of the state.

But when you look closely at the data, it turns out that there are only about 110 locations (out of about 800) where the black population exceeds 25 percent of the overall population. That certainly does not support the claim that “most” clinics are in “black neighborhoods.”
http://www.klannedparenthood.com/wp-...on-Control.pdf

Separately, in 2011, the Guttmacher Institute surveyed all abortion providers (about 1,700), including Planned Parenthood, and found that 60 percent are in majority-white neighborhoods — and that fewer than one in ten abortion providers are located in neighborhoods where more than half of the residents are black.
Claim that Most Abortion Clinics Are Located in Black or Hispanic Neighborhoods Is False
Thanks GordMay. I'm happy to hear about Sanders anti-Nazi position. People's views and opinions are never simple. They also can change. It is also not wise to perceive people on their associations. They could share a common view on one subject and be diametrically apposed on another. Also those that go off the deep end with crazy ideas like the Nazis usually started from what could have been seen as a reasonable point but ended up in the end in shear madness. Philosophy sometimes can be likened to chart navigation. You can start off by being out by one or two degrees but the more you extrapolate the point of view that's just a little off the crazier off course you get.

In my humble opinion it's very easy to go off course if you don't have some basic guiding principles. Such as the respect for human life. Now I'm not arguing for or against right to choose vs right to life. That is another completely different discussion and not for here I would think.

Interesting about the facts about the clinics you found. Perhaps they were so successful in the areas they set up shop in that these areas became white areas. Says I tongue in cheek.

Anyway. I'm more concerned about being able to float around without bumping into icebergs. Having healthy fishing grounds, clean air and pure water are also high on my list.

Again thanks GordMay. I'll just add I am able to change my mind on a subject in an instant based on new information. Having an open mind and a willingness to listen to all views is something I hope I never loose.

Regards,
Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 23-12-2015, 14:42   #632

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
What gives with the Bill Gates hatred?

You cannot even get that story straight.

Gates bought QDOS.

The Man Who Could Have Been Bill Gates - Businessweek

BTW - my first computer was a a CPM driven Osborne One.
Qdos was an independently developed 16 bit variant of Digital Research's CP/M who cnbf upgrading their 8 bit version. i'll try and google first before using my memory next time. Is that what your link says?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 23-12-2015, 15:27   #633

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
A 2011 report by Life Dynamics, which opposes abortion, used Census data to determine the African-American and Hispanic population of each zipcode where Planned Parenthood has an office. The report was intended to show that the abortion clinics are placed mostly in areas where black residents exceed the average black population of the state.

But when you look closely at the data, it turns out that there are only about 110 locations (out of about 800) where the black population exceeds 25 percent of the overall population. That certainly does not support the claim that “most” clinics are in “black neighborhoods.”
http://www.klannedparenthood.com/wp-...on-Control.pdf
Nice twist of data.
If you look at the population percentages instead of your 25%, you get different results.
How about looking at abortions by race vs arbitrary locations of the pp chop shops?

From wikipedia:

White Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to 13.2% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17.1% of the population, making up the largest ethnic minority. The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 62.6% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 77.1%.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States

How far has this thread got to drift before it gets closed? There is nothing in here anymore about SAILING !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 23-12-2015, 19:33   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
... pp chop shops
Any lady sailors wanna take this on?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 23-12-2015, 20:06   #635

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

You all have all the fun you can stand with this pathetic "I'm better than you because I care about the earth" pity party...get out of bed and get over yourselves.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 23-12-2015, 21:11   #636

Quote:
You all have all the fun you can stand with this pathetic "I'm better than you because I care about the earth" pity party...get out of bed and get over yourselves.

Oh, and Merry Christmas to all.
Sorry but I'm in bed because I can't move my arm even an inch without screaming pain. They have me on very strong pain meds. The MRI shows I have a severely ruptured ligament and muscle tear in my left shoulder. But ill get out of bed if you think it will help.

Merry Christmas as well.
Old 23-12-2015, 21:43   #637

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Nice twist of data.
If you look at the population percentages instead of your 25%, you get different results.
How about looking at abortions by race vs arbitrary locations of the pp chop shops?

From wikipedia:

White Americans are the racial majority. African Americans are the largest racial minority, amounting to 13.2% of the population. Hispanic and Latino Americans amount to 17.1% of the population, making up the largest ethnic minority. The White, non-Hispanic or Latino population make up 62.6% of the nation's total, with the total White population (including White Hispanics and Latinos) being 77.1%.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_a..._United_States

How far has this thread got to drift before it gets closed? There is nothing in here anymore about SAILING !
Well I agree that the thread may be in the wrong category, but no one is forcing anybody to read it or post to it...

Anyway some interesting questions and answers on the 'pp front'.

What is the racial or ethnic background of U.S. women who have abortions?
Answer
No racial or ethnic group makes up a majority of women having abortions: 36% are non-Hispanic white, 30% are non-Hispanic black, 25% are Hispanic and 9% are women of other races.[32]

What proportion of abortions in the United States are among poor women?
Answer
Women with family incomes below the federal poverty level ($18,530 for a family of three) account for more than 40% of all abortions.[32] They also have one of the country’s highest abortion rates (52 per 1,000 women). In contrast, higher-income women (with family incomes at or above 200% of the poverty line) have a rate of nine abortions per 1,000, which is about half the national rate.

Which racial or ethnic groups are most likely to have abortions in the United States?
Answer
Non-Hispanic black and Hispanic women have higher rates of abortion (40 and 29 per 1,000 women aged 15–44, respectively) than non-Hispanic white women do (12 per 1,000).[32] The higher rates reflect the fact that black and Hispanic women have high unintended pregnancy rates (91 and 82 per 1,000 women, respectively), compared with non-Hispanic white women (36 per 1,000 women).[26]

In which regions of the United States are women most likely to have an abortion?
Answer
In 2008, the abortion rate was highest in the Northeast (27 abortions per 1,000 women), followed by the West, the South and the Midwest (22, 18 and 14 per 1,000, respectively).[31]

Why do women in the United States have abortions?
Answer
Most women identify multiple reasons for having an abortion: Three-fourths cite concerns for or responsibility to other individuals, including children; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[40] The reasons U.S. women give for having an abortion reflect their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life.

What proportion of U.S. women obtaining abortions are religious?
Answer
More than seven in 10 U.S. women obtaining an abortion report a religious affiliation (37% protestant, 28% Catholic and 7% other), and 25% attend religious services at least once a month.[38] The abortion rate for protestant women is 15 per 1,000 women, while Catholic women have a slightly higher rate, 22 per 1,000.[32]

All the above from the Guttmacher Institute,

https://www.guttmacher.org/about/index.html

Slightly sideways to the issue, but obviously population level controls consumption level which controls waste level...100 percent efficiency is (theoretically) as impossible as absolute zero is.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 06:39   #638

The anti abortion crew are usually also the ones telling people how to live, preaching abstinence and blocking access to birth-control or the "morning-after" pill, and above all not doing anything about the fact that you CANNOT raise a child on a single person's collection of McJobs these days.

If every child is wanted, then no child should be raised in poverty. Fix these, I might come around to your side on clinical abortion. Til then, it's a necessary evil and a woman's right.
Old 24-12-2015, 13:16   #639
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Using total number of clinics in figuring the percentage in minority areas is fallacious. Planned Parenthood has clinics everywhere. Blacks are disproportionately represented in large cities and urban areas. Even though Planned Parenthood has numerically small percentage of their total number of their clinics in 'Black' areas, they are IN all these areas. If you want to look at abortion in a Eugenics light, it has been disproportionally successful in maintaining or decreasing the numbers of 'Blacks' while having virtually no effect on the 'White' population. Way way more 'Blacks' as a percentage of the population are aborting their babies than are 'Whites'. It is an unintended, though effective, consequence of Planned Parenthood's success in providing abortion services in minority areas. I've got no axe to grind with Planned Parenthood, my mother was PP Nurse, but with the people who distort the mathematics. "There are Lies, Damned Lies and and Statistics." "Figures don't lie but liars figure."

Did anybody mention the 97% figure???
roverhi is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 13:30   #640

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Using total number of clinics in figuring the percentage in minority areas is fallacious. Planned Parenthood has clinics everywhere. Blacks are disproportionately represented in large cities and urban areas. Even though Planned Parenthood has numerically small percentage of their total number of their clinics in 'Black' areas, they are IN all these areas. If you want to look at abortion in a Eugenics light, it has been disproportionally successful in maintaining or decreasing the numbers of 'Blacks' while having virtually no effect on the 'White' population. Way way more 'Blacks' as a percentage of the population are aborting their babies than are 'Whites'. It is an unintended, though effective, consequence of Planned Parenthood's success in providing abortion services in minority areas. I've got no axe to grind with Planned Parenthood, my mother was PP Nurse, but with the people who distort the mathematics. "There are Lies, Damned Lies and and Statistics." "Figures don't lie but liars figure."

Did anybody mention the 97% figure???
Sorry boy's and girl's ,I thought this thread was Arctic cruising,not something intended for religious anti-abortion loonies.
Or am i mistaken ?
bustermaw is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 13:32   #641

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The anti abortion crew are usually also the ones telling people how to live, preaching abstinence and blocking access to birth-control or the "morning-after" pill, and above all not doing anything about the fact that you CANNOT raise a child on a single person's collection of McJobs these days.

If every child is wanted, then no child should be raised in poverty. Fix these, I might come around to your side on clinical abortion. Til then, it's a necessary evil and a woman's right.
There is abortion and there is infanticide. While there is debate about abortion the vast majority in the United States are against late term killing of babies. If you have to stick an implement inside a women to crush the head of a baby to ensure it is taken out dead then you are committing infanticide. this is by far the majority view. Many a premature baby is delivered alive. If you take a baby at 8 months and inject it with saline or crush it in order to stop its heart from beating there is nothing else to call it other than murder. And murder is not morally justifiable just for the economic or social convenience of the mother.

The majority who are against late term abortion are not necessarily against early abortions or birth control pills. It is wrong to generalize as you have done. Your necessary evil as you put it is a women's right is devoid of morality. No one has the blanket right to commit an evil act that does harm in a humane just society. IMHO.

Now what do you think about sailing in the Antarctic with global cooling taking hold?
Old 24-12-2015, 13:56   #642
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Meanwhile the snow keeps falling in the northern hemisphere and the ice melts slower in the southern than it did in the past but mmgw says something else.
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 14:01   #643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

I never thought that I would agree with you about anything !
Perhaps you're human after all Lake effect
bustermaw is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 16:32   #644

Boat: Columbia 24

Nothing wrong with abortion other than there's always a murder involved.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Eumelia is offline   Reply
Old 24-12-2015, 19:55   #645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
There is abortion and there is infanticide. While there is debate about abortion the vast majority in the United States are against late term killing of babies.
The vast majority of abortions are not late-term, but the anti-abortion side loves them just the same because they make great press. Also, for those VERY few, why is it late term? Were the girls intimidated or prevented from getting an earlier termination in a timely manner? Were they afraid to cross a picket line? Did they have to go to another state?

Now tell me why girls in trouble who do opt to keep the baby, are left pretty much alone to cope with the struggle of raising it.

(bustermaw - you ain't seen nuttin yet! )
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising