Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 23:48   #511

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
There are are other forms of electrical energy production. China is a leader on renewables.

Plus

German Continuous Nuclear Fusion Reactor Milestone | Watts Up With That?

We are talking about transitioning away from fossil fuels, nt stopping instantly..
5 weeks ago I visited two of my factories outside of Shanghai. One of them I was driven for an hour and a half and didn't see one windmill or solar panel. Didn't see much at all because of the smog spewing into the air. Where do you get your first hand information from? China is the greatest producer of carbon into the atmosphere yet they have made no reduction commitments. Funny how its always the filthy capitalist pigs in the west who have to raise their electricity for the poor and shut down whole industries. Don't you see the incongruity of this?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 00:03   #512
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
I guess china sees climate change as a good thing and want to hasten it along as much as they can.
North China on alert for another round of choking air pollution-NationShanghaiDaily Mobile
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 03:03   #513

Quote:
Sv Third Day slithers to bottom of Graham's hierarchy.
He didn't have far to travel.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 04:02   #514

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
5 weeks ago I visited two of my factories outside of Shanghai. One of them I was driven for an hour and a half and didn't see one windmill or solar panel. Didn't see much at all because of the smog spewing into the air. Where do you get your first hand information from? China is the greatest producer of carbon into the atmosphere yet they have made no reduction commitments. Funny how its always the filthy capitalist pigs in the west who have to raise their electricity for the poor and shut down whole industries. Don't you see the incongruity of this?
"But China..." is often rolled out as an argument for not doing much about CO2 emissions here in the west. But perhaps you already know that the issue is more complex than that.

The obvious starting point is... why have you and everyone else exported so much manufacturing to China? To make fatter profits, obviously. By outsourcing, we have also elected to dodge our own western standards for health, safety, pollution. So when China ramps up their power generation, it's to make stuff cheaply for us.

Let's also not forget that Reefmagnet's home country is dependent on coal sales to China.

But here's some snapshots:

China's reduction commitments.

China's wind-power, with a side mention of nuclear (2014)
China added a world record 23 gigawatts of new wind power capacity in 2014, for a cumulative installed capacity of nearly 115 gigawatts (1 gigawatt = 1,000 megawatts). Some 84 percent of this total—or 96 gigawatts—is connected to the grid, sending carbon-free electricity to consumers.

China’s wind power goal is to have 200 gigawatts connected to the grid by 2020. According to China’s National Energy Administration, the country has some 77 gigawatts of wind capacity now under construction, bringing this goal that much closer to being realized.

China’s energy landscape is changing rapidly. Consumption of coal, which supplies about 75 percent of Chinese electricity, dropped nearly 3 percent in 2014, according to official data from China’s National Bureau of Statistics. Meanwhile, in addition to the impressive growth in wind power, China is quickly expanding its solar generating capacity. With 28 gigawatts by the end of 2014 and plans for another 15 gigawatts in 2015, China may overtake Germany for the top solar spot in a matter of months. As China looks to energy solutions to reduce the air pollution choking its cities, to conserve water, and to rein in its carbon emissions, it is becoming clear that renewables offer a more expeditious path than nuclear power does.

China's solar power

And of course China is manufacturing much if not most of the components in solar and wind generation used worldwide.

Finally, even with China's use of coal...when it comes to annual CO2 emissions per capita, the numbers for the US, Australia and Canada are all still more than 2x that of China.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 08:53   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I guess china sees climate change as a good thing and want to hasten it along as much as they can.
North China on alert for another round of choking air pollution-NationShanghaiDaily Mobile
Ironically, industrial aerosols that produce smog have a cooling effect.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 09:25   #516
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jack I just said climate change and the irony isn't lost on me. Now a serious one is it possible that the volcano in mexico that just started erupting ( ie a tropical volcano) could it have much of an effect on the climate such as further cooling?
Old 19-12-2015, 09:27   #517
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

CO2 amigo....
China and India emit enough CO2 that if Canada got rid of all their CO2 and stopped the export of the nasty killer Tar Sands it wouldn't matter.

So playing the China is in for Climate Change BS is just that....talking points. CO2 is either a killer or it isnt.... Ah....but there you have it.

CO2 is a killer when emitted from the Evil USA but harmless and particulate smog counters MMGW when the commies in China do it....ah....protecting their own, just like the so called feminists dont say boo about the war on women in the Islamic world. Not all discrimination is equal...just like CO2 murder.

I am glad we got this lesson right in time for the Christmas holiday...burn that pagan Yule log in the fire and emit the locked up Carbon...but if you pay a carbon tax (read indulgence) your sins are forgiven you.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 09:35   #518

So what would be the best way to insulate a fiberglass cat both as a barrier against cold waters and pleasing aesthetically. Smog in China, volcanoes in Mexico and Chile and an increase in Antarctic ice all lead me to the need for better insulation against global cooling.

All half jokes aside. I am serious about insulation ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Or perhaps I should start a new discussion.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 19-12-2015, 09:43   #519
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would seriously look into spray foam insulation they make diy kits. https://www.sprayfoamkit.com/spray-f...FRSRfgodU_gFvQ
Old 19-12-2015, 09:45   #520

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Jack I just said climate change and the irony isn't lost on me. Now a serious one is it possible that the volcano in mexico that just started erupting ( ie a tropical volcano) could it have much of an effect on the climate such as further cooling?
Volcanoes can have short-term cooling effects. e.g, Pinatubo

Old 19-12-2015, 09:52   #521
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah...the Volcano.
Gia's way of punishing the Virgins.
But how much CO2 does a Volcano Emit...More than the CO2 emitted by the World Leaders all traveling to Paris and living like Royalty while there? Eating food from a Chef who trampled mother Gia?
'World's finest chef' who cooked for Paris climate conference fined for damaging the environment - Telegraph

You just have gotta love this one. The Chef at the climate summit fined for destroying mother earth...you can't make this stuff up!
Old 19-12-2015, 09:54   #522
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Volcanoes can have short-term cooling effects. e.g, Pinatubo

Why stop at 1979....ha ha ha.....classic data manipulation....
So if I make up a graph but post it every other post does that make it true? You gotta love these MMGWC's approach to Science. Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth....hmmm....sounds familiar....
Old 19-12-2015, 10:03   #523

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah...the Volcano.
Gia's way of punishing the Virgins.
But how much CO2 does a Volcano Emit...
According to the USGS human emit 135 times more CO2 than all volcanic activity.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:06   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Why stop at 1979....ha ha ha.....classic data manipulation....
So if I make up a graph but post it every other post does that make it true? You gotta love these MMGWC's approach to Science. Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth....hmmm....sounds familiar....
Are you really accusing Roy Spencer, a well-known AGW denier (he denies the A part) of manipulating data?

The satellite record used by UAH starts in 1979.
Old 19-12-2015, 10:22   #525
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Are you really accusing Roy Spencer, a well-known AGW denier (he denies the A part) of manipulating data?

The satellite record used by UAH starts in 1979.
Absolutely....anyone who wishes to discuss or be educated about something that is measure in geological time in hundreds of years that shows, a graph to bolster their argument with a timeline of about 40yrs is not to be taken seriously. Sure you can zoom in on data but to use that data to push an agenda is scientifically wrong. And as a Scientist...I stick to science not snap shots of the data intended to mislead.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising