Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 02:35   #466
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I'm saying 35% admin expenses for a not for profit organisation is high.
I disagree. I think 35% admin' is VERY high!

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 03:48   #467

Boat: Columbia 24
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

All this talk of climate change reeks of paranoia. People need to get a life. More sailing, less internet.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Eumelia is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:19   #468
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Sea ice in northern hemisphere is decreasing however the southern sea ice is increasing. At the same time northern land coverage by snow and ice is also increasing which to me seems to be almost a wash in total global ice and snow coverage figured by decades averages according to noaa

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global-snow/201511
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:22   #469

You simply won't let reality get in the way of a good rant, will you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Why don't you guys with bees in your bonnets over this issue redirect your efforts to something more tangible. Like the incredible waste of resources found in today's first world societies. You know, like V8 SUV'S purchased primarily by "soccer moms" and manufacturer's that bulk up the packaging yet reduce weight of the cookies or whatever for no other reason then to maximise profit for instance.
Wow. you really don't get it. The whole "climate change" thing has, in the public eye and in politics, become the proxy for ALL of the above, and for any policy change that tilts towards conservation, resource management, cleanup, sustainability... and away from unrestrained profits.

Because the eggs are all in the one basket, and because people like you have drunk the koolaid about the great AGW con-spirasay ... progress is stalled, including fixing the very things you rail against above.

Climate change is but one of the looming problems, but it is among the looming problems. By so stridently opposing AGW, you're helping block progress, period. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Someone mentioned that so called "big oil" should pay for their co2 pollution, yet I don't see Sony or Gerni paying landfill taxes for their products.
Exhibit #2 for how you don't get it. First, the issue isn't big oil "paying" for CO2 pollution, it's that the pollution isn't currently priced into the cost of fossil fuels, so the actual costs of mitigation and cleanup are borne by the taxpayers (if the government bothers to do anything). And ... maybe we should stop subsidizing the extraction, processing and sale of coal and oil.

I dunno about Australia, but in some parts of Canada there has been a disposal surcharge when electronics are sold, so yeah, SONY customers are starting to bear the cost of electronics disposal. think this is the case in most of Europe too.

There are 1000 other reasons besides climate change for making the same set of serious changes. Let go of the AGW hobbyhorse and focus on the ones you do feel are important. Seriously.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:38   #470
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozinator View Post
Honestly, I think most people tell you to stop talking not for your message, but for the way you present it. At least Stu provides counter-points and supports his arguments without resorting to much name calling. The immature insults and hand waving I've seen you post here are hardly worth the read.
You can call pointing out the Truth about the MMGWC as hand waiving...but the truth is saying we are destroying the planet by CO2 is a little more than hand waving, it's a lie.

As a scientist, you must also call out people doing irrefutable damage to the profession of Science with their Cultist activities.

If you don't like my tone...
Merry Christmas....does that help?
Well maybe this FACT about how the Warming Temps are Bogus will?
http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/ex...warming-trend/

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sea ice in northern hemisphere is decreasing however the southern sea ice is increasing. At the same time northern land coverage by snow and ice is also increasing which to me seems to be almost a wash in total global ice and snow coverage figured by decades averages according to noaa

Shhhh...in today's world pointing out the facts that disprove someones personal believes gets you labeled a hater or immature for name calling.

In honor of the increased Snow levels and ice formation...everyone sing along....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:43   #471

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post

Worth a thousand words.

jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:46   #472

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What seems like a thousand words is your signature line.
We all know you know how to sail...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:50   #473
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
What seems like a thousand words is your signature line.
We all know you know how to sail...
Yes....but can we add Climate Scientist to that list?
OR
Cut/Past Internet Activist?
Old 18-12-2015, 09:29   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Worth a thousand words.

So I am going to indeed have to prepare for more ice in the southern waters. Not that I wasn't going to have to be careful anyway. From your presented information some Antarctic landing places that are easily accessible at the moment may not be so easy in the near future. And we may have to be on the lookout for a lot more icebergs than at present. Mind you even now you would have to have a solid watch and a good surface setting on your radar. The increased difficulty in finding places to come ashore may be the biggest problem of the coming years.

Does anyone know of a boat yard that has experience in laying insulation on a fiberglass cat? Perhaps I should ask around some of the yards in Argentina while I'm here. I'd prefer to hire someone to do the work so it looks the best it can.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 09:53   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Just one of your points from you long list. Can you please explain the cold winter record lows last year in the United States?
Some cut and paste

Quote:
Earth has seen some highly unusual weather patterns over the past three years, and three new studies published this year point to Arctic sea loss as a potential important driver of some of these strange weather patterns. The record loss of sea ice the Arctic in recent years may be increasing winter cold surges and snowfall in Europe and North America, says a study by a research team led by Georgia Institute of Technology scientists Jiping Liu and Judith Curry. The paper, titled "Impact of declining Arctic sea ice on winter snowfall", was published on Feb. 27, 2012 in the online early edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "Our study demonstrates that the decrease in Arctic sea ice area is linked to changes in the winter Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation, said Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, in a press release. "The circulation changes result in more frequent episodes of atmospheric blocking patterns, which lead to increased cold surges and snow over large parts of the northern continents."
Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns | Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

The cold snap was pretty much just eastern North America; the rest of the world, including my part, was warmer than normal.

Old 18-12-2015, 09:56   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/exclusive-noaa-relies-on-compromised-thermometers-that-inflate-u-s-warming-trend/

Ha ha ha....but the data shows warming we all doomed
Ah...wait....what's that....the warming data is bogus? Nothing to see here folks...move along...
The Daily Caller -
Old 18-12-2015, 10:48   #477
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have one issue with some on here speaking of loss or gains in strict percentages. We need actual numbers to get the real picture ( I am an engineer not a theorist ) here are the November 2015 numbers
Northern hemisphere is 3.88 million sq miles and southern hemisphere is 6.37 million sq miles
Which means that a net loss in the north of 1% would equal 38,800 sq miles where as a 1% increase in the south would equal 63,700 sq miles which I hope shows that percentages are not representative of what is actually happening in total global sea ice .
Old 18-12-2015, 10:53   #478
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Some cut and paste

Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns | Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

The cold snap was pretty much just eastern North America; the rest of the world, including my part, was warmer than normal.

Well let's see here the report you referenced from last February is almost the polar opposite of the one from Nov of this year.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/servic...ntp/201511.gif
Old 18-12-2015, 11:31   #479
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The Daily Caller -
Notice he won't address the Hoax exposed by the article...only attack the messenger. Hmmm....I think we have seen that approach before.
Old 18-12-2015, 12:04   #480
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Does anyone know of a boat yard that has experience in laying insulation on a fiberglass cat?
Are you really considering cruising Antarctica in a fibreglass cat?
conachair is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising