Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 11:40   #421

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Which of those funders gave you fits & giggles?
Excluding tho ones with snouts in the trough? None.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:16   #422
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Here is something that just occurred to me. Is there anyone that received funds be it donations /grants regardless of where the funds come from to fix the problem or was the money to fund study of the problem?
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:43   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is something that just occurred to me. Is there anyone that received funds be it donations /grants regardless of where the funds come from to fix the problem or was the money to fund study of the problem?
I am not sure what you are asking.

Both "sides" get government funding. For example, all of the funding for Roy Spencer's work at University of Alabama Huntsville comes from NOAA, NASA and DOE. He denies AGW.

Global Warming « Roy Spencer, PhD

Richard Lindzen was awarded over $3,000,000 in National Science Foundation grants during his career.

Both "sides" also get private / corporate funding. Willie Soon got over $1,000,000 for the American Petroleum Institute. The Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) study was initially funded by both the Gates Foundation and the Koch Foundation.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:43   #424

Quote:
How do you mean? It's not like climate scientists are about to build a giant climate-fixer machine.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:55   #425
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK that was meant in general not climate specific. I should have been more clear on my post.
Did any of the climatology studies come up with a viable plan ? The last time I remember was about the depletion of he ozone and the potential melanoma risks risks to everyone. That issue was dealt with quickly.
Old 17-12-2015, 12:56   #426

Quote:
Scientists much prefer to study Antarctic plankton whilst burning 5000 gallons of diesel per day (around 50 tonnes of CO2 daily, fwiw) but that's ok 'cos it's all in the name of climate research - despite the fact that 97% are convinced it's real and man made - than to actually research anything that could possibly help fix the problem.

It's kind of like having a plethora of doctors poking and prodding you to confirm a single prognosis without ever attempting to actually cure you.

Old 17-12-2015, 13:00   #427

Quote:
OK that was meant in general not climate specific. I should have been more clear on my post.
Did any of the climatology studies come up with a viable plan ? The last time I remember was about the depletion of he ozone and the potential melanoma risks risks to everyone. That issue was dealt with quickly.
Ozone depletion was deal with by government regulation banning / restricting the use of CFCs and cap and trade systems. The Montreal Protocol was one of Reagan's initiatives.

Climatologists have tended to leave the policy decisions to politicians. James Hansen is a major exception; he strongly advocates for a revenue neutral carbon tax and for nuclear energy.
Old 17-12-2015, 13:02   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Scientists much prefer to study Antarctic plankton whilst burning 5000 gallons of diesel per day (around 50 tonnes of CO2 daily, fwiw) but that's ok 'cos it's all in the name of climate research - despite the fact that 97% are convinced it's real and man made - than to actually research anything that could possibly help fix the problem.

It's kind of like having a plethora of doctors poking and prodding you to confirm a single prognosis without ever attempting to actually cure you.

Research money is available for solutions. I posted a link earlier. That research is often in the hands of engineers.
Old 17-12-2015, 13:10   #429
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Excluding tho ones with snouts in the trough? None.
Quote:
Which of those funders gave you fits & giggles?
Quote:
Actually, linkety click through to the source of that hysteria, and their sources of funding for fits and giggles...
Report - DARA
Who supports us - DARA
Well, thanks for that highly responsive answer, full of verifiable fact.

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:11   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Research money is available for solutions. I posted a link earlier. That research is often in the hands of engineers.
Perhaps you'd care to quote the funding ratio between the two fields? I, for one, am interested in this number.

Old 17-12-2015, 13:13   #431

Quote:
Well, thanks for that highly responsive answer, full of verifiable fact.
Gord. You disappoint me. My google-** is strong, too.

Old 17-12-2015, 13:17   #432
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Ozone depletion was deal with by government regulation banning / restricting the use of CFCs and cap and trade systems. The Montreal Protocol was one of Reagan's initiatives.

Climatologists have tended to leave the policy decisions to politicians. James Hansen is a major exception; he strongly advocates for a revenue neutral carbon tax and for nuclear energy.
I understand that the science is separate however the Montreal protocol ( and I'm just using it as a reference). Had to have been based on the science that cfc's were bad to get the politics to enact the protocol to begin with. Now they need to get he proof that agw mmgw or whatever label you want on it is bad to force the worlds leaders to act.
Old 17-12-2015, 13:19   #433

Quote:
Perhaps you'd care to quote the funding ratio between the two fields? I, for one, am interested in this number.

I honestly do not know. It would take a lot of digging, which I do to have time to do.

Perhaps you could do so, as it is of interest to you.
Old 17-12-2015, 13:20   #434

Quote:
I honestly do not know. It would take a lot of digging, which I do to have time to do.

Perhaps you could do so, as it is of interest to you.
I suspect I could guess the approximate ball park answer already.

Old 17-12-2015, 13:21   #435

Quote:
I understand that the science is separate however the Montreal protocol ( and I'm just using it as a reference). Had to have been based on the science that cfc's were bad to get the politics to enact the protocol to begin with. Now they need to get he proof that agw mmgw or whatever label you want on it is bad to force the worlds leaders to act.
The science is based on evidence. Proof is for mathematics and booze.

Paris, 2015 was a start by the politicians.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising