Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 09:44   #1456

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
To late jack it seems that they already have from other links posted about increased sequestration potential in forests in other areas in the world.
Show me.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2016, 09:47   #1457

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Did someone say Scientific Consensus?

High cholesterol 'does not cause heart disease' new research finds, so treating with statins a 'waste of time'

Do you know how many Billions of Dollars this "Consensus" has cost people in Dr Visits and Drugs.

The Follow the Money game Continues....
I think I can now draw the conclusion that you are just argumentative and that you never seem to add anything positive to a discussion. As you know, you can take a few articles and manipulate a conversation with them. This one about statins, I take to heart (excuse the pun). I have had two MCI. The first in 2000. My cholesterol was in the high 200's, which produced plaque, restricting blood flow, leading to an event. Like you, I laughed it off and for a few years followed the Dr's recommendations around medication and diet. The results were my numbers slowly were in the norms and my heart became stronger as well as my endurance.
After a few years, I traveled and let go of my medication. Of course switched back to Scottish food....McDonalds on the fly. In 2008 while building on a house in Hawaii, I felt the familiar chest pains again. Off to the ER and found out my cholesterol was back up to 240 from 135 and 2 more stints. Since then back on those non working statins, vegetarian, mild exercise and regular check ups. Stress test show no signs of oncoming events, arteries are clear and my endurance is back up. So I think I will continue with statins and take what skeptics like you say with a grain of sea salt.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2016, 10:09   #1458
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Show me.

Found hundreds with a quick Google search
Here is a quote from one
The actual rate of carbon sequestration will vary with species, climate and site, but in general, younger and faster growing forests have higher annual sequestration rates.
From this paper
Trees: The Carbon Storage Experts - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation
Google some you will find much more do your homework
Old 14-06-2016, 10:18   #1459

Quote:
Found hundreds with a quick Google search
Here is a quote from one
The actual rate of carbon sequestration will vary with species, climate and site, but in general, younger and faster growing forests have higher annual sequestration rates.
From this paper
The knowledge that trees and other plants suck up carbon is great. It's certainly an important part of mitigation efforts.

So, how do we go about stopping deforestation, and encouraging reforestation wherever possible? There's no more room for additional forests on Third-Degree's boat or Kenomac's roof.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2016, 18:33   #1460

Quote:
From this paper
That is my point. Thanks.

jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 15-06-2016, 05:02   #1461

'Arctic amplification' to blame for Greenland's ice melt, scientists say | Christian Science Monitor
Quote:
A new study published in Nature Communications focuses on the effects that rising temperatures and changing albedo have had on Greenland. The researchers concluded that, among other possible causes such as tropical weather and latent heat, a phenomenon known as Arctic amplification could be the cause behind melting ice.

Arctic amplification explains the perpetuation of melting ice in the poles: As the Earth has heated up and melted ice, darker spots in the ocean that are uncovered by the loss have absorbed more solar radiation, further warming the sea and maintaining the cycle. The warmer waters could also balance more evenly with waters farther south, impacting the speed, intensity, and consistency of the jet stream, which in turn could bring hotter air farther north.

Arctic amplification affects the polar regions of the globe, where faster warming has already invited research into the effects of ice melts on sea levels. The new research contends that, with the melting already in motion, the Earth’s atmospheric systems could push such effects even farther.

“If loss of sea ice is driving changes in the jet stream, the jet stream is changing Greenland, and this, in turn, has an impact on the Arctic system as well as the climate. It’s a system, it is strongly interconnected and we have to approach it as such,” Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory professor and lead study author Marco Todesco said in a Columbia University release.[...]
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 16-06-2016, 03:20   #1462

Greening Arctic: Impact of climate change in high latitudes | Science Daily
Quote:
The northern reaches of North America are getting greener, according to a NASA study that provides the most detailed look yet at plant life across Alaska and Canada. In a changing climate, almost a third of the land cover -- much of it Arctic tundra -- is looking more like landscapes found in warmer ecosystems.[...]

With Landsat 5 and Landsat 7 data, Masek and his colleague Junchang Ju, a remote sensing scientist at Goddard, found that there was extensive greening in the tundra of western Alaska, the northern coast of Canada, and the tundra of Quebec and Labrador. While northern forests greened in Canada, they tended to decline in Alaska. Overall, the scientists found that 29.4 percent of the region greened up, especially in shrublands and sparsely vegetated areas, while 2.9 percent showed vegetation decline.

"The greening trend was unmistakable," the researchers wrote in an April 2016 paper in Remote Sensing of Environment.[...]

With the higher resolution Landsat data, the researchers also found a lot of differences within areas -- one pixel would be brown, and its neighbors green, noted Ju. "It's very localized," he said. "The vegetation is responding to the microclimates. That's the benefit of using Landsat data, is that we can reveal this spatial variation over very short distances."[...]

"One of the big questions is, 'Will forest biomes migrate with warming climate?' There hasn't been much evidence of it to date," Masek said. "But we can zoom in and see if it's changing."
Old 16-06-2016, 04:07   #1463

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Greening Arctic: Impact of climate change in high latitudes | Science Daily

The northern reaches of North America are getting greener, according to a NASA study...
Great news! Maybe it will get back to the latitudes it reached earlier in the current interglacial and become a carbon sink again rather than a carbon source.

NASA GISS: Science Briefs: The Ancient Treeline and the Carbon Cycle in the Siberian Arctic
The migration of trees into the region is expressed at our site by the macrofossil pattern of larch (Larix siberica) and birch (Betula pubescens) arrival, followed by spruce (Picea obovata). About six thousand years ago, spruce trees moved even further northward. Climate at that time was warmer than today. Since that time, however, the treeline retreated to its present position, and tundra replaced the old trees. The redevelopment and spread of peatland resulted in increases in moisture and acidity. This vast spread of tundra within the last few millennia indicates that climate cooled after the mid-Holocene warming.
Our study, along with similar studies in the Canadian Arctic suggests that Arctic peatlands are acting more as a source of carbon to the atmosphere than a sink, possibly due to many factors such as less nutrient mineralization, increased permafrost leading to drier peat, or oxidation from winds.

Climate change and the northern Russian treeline zone

...conifers have not yet recolonized many areas where trees were present during the Medieval Warm period (ca AD 800–1300) or the Holocene Thermal Maximum (HTM; ca 10 000–3000 years ago)....

Note: Not "quote mining". Just highlighting relevant points.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 17-06-2016, 02:54   #1464

Arctic sea ice fell to record low for May | The Guardian
Quote:
Arctic sea ice fell to its lowest ever May extent, prompting fears that this year could beat 2012 for the record of worst ever summer sea ice melt.

Data published by the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre (NSIDC) this week showed average sea ice extent for last month was more than 500,000 sq km (193,000 sq miles) smaller than May 2012.

The extent of sea ice in the Arctic is one of the key indicators of global warming, and the new findings have been greeted with concern by scientists. Although it is too early to say whether this summer’s ice extent will be the lowest recorded, if current projections follow the course of previous years then it will be at least one of the lowest ever.

Snow cover in the northern hemisphere was the lowest in 50 years in April, the NSIDC said, and Antarctic sea ice was below average for the time of year. [...]

Old 18-06-2016, 03:45   #1465

Effects of warmer weather on productivity being felt worldwide, scientists say | UPI
Quote:
The forces of globalization have made the global economic system more vulnerable to production losses caused by climate change, new research shows.

The global supply chain is more interconnected than ever before, and according to a new study published in the journal Science Advances, that connectivity makes it easier for losses related to global warming to spread from country to country.[...]

Globalization has encouraged faster and more efficient systems of production, but global economic forces have also diminished diversification. If a region is particularly conducive to a certain industry or for the production of a certain product or resource, globalization encourages that region to focus intently on such an advantage, while discouraging production of that same good elsewhere.

For example, nearly half of the world's coconut oil comes from the Philippines. Coconut oil is one of the world's most commonly used vegetable oils, used by food businesses over the world. When Typhoon Haitang halted the production of coconut oil in the Philippines, economic repercussions were felt around the globe.[...]

"To estimate the costs of future climate change we need to assess global economic impacts of more frequent heat extremes and meteorological impacts, such as floods and tropical storms, and understand their relation to the economic network's structure," Levermann said. "This is the basis for implementing appropriate adaptation measures -- in a warming world with more intense weather extremes it is likely that society needs to become more resilient and more flexible."
Old 19-06-2016, 00:11   #1466

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

2016 is neck and neck with 2012. 2016 got off to a big lead, but now looks to be fading in the shadows of the post.

Don't mothball those icebreakers just yet.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 19-06-2016, 03:33   #1467

Antarctic CO2 levels highest in 4 million years | Christian Science Monitor
Quote:
Antarctica recently witnessed an event that last took place four million years ago: Carbon dioxide levels broke through the barrier of 400 parts per million (ppm).

In fact, the frozen continent is a laggard in this respect. The announcement Wednesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) gave the date of this milestone as May 23. But the global annual mean concentration of carbon dioxide already surpassed 400 ppm last year, the first time that has happened in human history.

While the number 400 does not hold any inherent significance, it has become something of a symbol as more of the world becomes convinced of the need to stop the ballooning levels of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere.

“The far southern hemisphere was the last place on earth where CO2 had not yet reached this mark,” said Pieter Tans, lead scientist of NOAA's Global Greenhouse Gas Reference Network, in the agency’s press release. “Global CO2 levels will not return to values below 400 ppm in our lifetimes, and almost certainly for much longer.”

NOAA’s announcement comes hot on the heels of a paper in Nature, published Monday, in which the authors described not only 2015’s record-breaking global mean carbon dioxide concentration, but also predicted that 2016 would see no monthly global mean drop below the iconic 400 ppm mark.[...]
Old 19-06-2016, 03:34   #1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I think I can now draw the conclusion that you are just argumentative and that you never seem to add anything positive to a discussion. As you know, you can take a few articles and manipulate a conversation with them. This one about statins, I take to heart (excuse the pun). I have had two MCI. The first in 2000. My cholesterol was in the high 200's, which produced plaque, restricting blood flow, leading to an event. Like you, I laughed it off and for a few years followed the Dr's recommendations around medication and diet. The results were my numbers slowly were in the norms and my heart became stronger as well as my endurance.
After a few years, I traveled and let go of my medication. Of course switched back to Scottish food....McDonalds on the fly. In 2008 while building on a house in Hawaii, I felt the familiar chest pains again. Off to the ER and found out my cholesterol was back up to 240 from 135 and 2 more stints. Since then back on those non working statins, vegetarian, mild exercise and regular check ups. Stress test show no signs of oncoming events, arteries are clear and my endurance is back up. So I think I will continue with statins and take what skeptics like you say with a grain of sea salt.
Glad to hear your ok. I for one wouldn't advice anyone to stop taking their medication. And we do know high cholesterol is a killer.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 19-06-2016, 03:39   #1469

Will Greenland become green with trees again? Just wondering.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 19-06-2016, 04:22   #1470
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Funny thing about Doctors and meds.

Local GP's will load a patient up on a variety, I kid you not, I would often see patients come into the hospital with a daily prescription of 20 meds, which according to patient "were vital to their wellbeing" and then watch my staff reduce the med list to about 3, and the patient improve almost immediately.

I learned early that less is more.

Ive never prescribed a Statin in my life. There is enough information out there for a self informed decision to be made.

weavis is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising