Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 09:45   #1426

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Sorry Amigo...as someone like myself living totally off the grid with Solar, I won't be lectured by someone not living their own talk.

You are the one that believes in MMGW, so what are YOU doing to save the world...oh and if arguing on a sailing site is all ya got..ha ha ha..sorry game over. If you won't even go solar and get off evil carbon based fuels, and YOU BELIEVE it..ha ha ah...it means in your gut you know it is all a hoax and have no right to lecture others....well at least not with any credibility.

When a MMGW Denier has a smaller carbon footprint than YOU...ha ha ha...you have some soul searching to do.
(-cough- virtue-signalling -cough-)

Right. Cos retiring early and living on a yacht in So Cal is going to scale up so well.

Anyway, we were talking about trees? Gotta forest on the poopdeck, do ya?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 09:48   #1427
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You posted that when I was sailing. I cannot find any responses that I made to that paper.

I will say that reforestation is a considered as one adaption to climate change. That reforestation will replace agricultural / pasture land with forest.

The reforestation which they speak is in the tropics, not in the mid-latitudes

I know you like to think that this "blows current models out of the water." It does not.
Story thought you had made a comment prior to now
Also I don't think it blows current models out of the water .

It is just some new information that does change the models and more new data everyday keeps changing. Which IMO is proof positive that the science is definitely not settled on CC .
Just like the later paper I referenced on the increased carbon uptake of forests in Alaska and it didn't say it but IMO the entire mid lattitude fkrrests . Which they state carbon uptake will increase considerably If temperatures warm.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:00   #1428

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Story thought you had made a comment prior to now
Also I don't think it blows current models out of the water .

It is just some new information that does change the models and more new data everyday keeps changing. Which IMO is proof positive that the science is definitely not settled on CC .
Just like the later paper I referenced on the increased carbon uptake of forests in Alaska and it didn't say it but IMO the entire mid lattitude fkrrests . Which they state carbon uptake will increase considerably If temperatures warm.
What you said:

Quote:
Here's a new study just published about carbon sequestrationthat blows the current models out of the water so to speak
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2122150

Yes - models are refined and the science is not settled.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 10:16   #1429

Quote:
It looks like a report on the paper I linked to yes and thank you jack just doesn't remember he even commented on my original post of the paper.
Actually that is not the one to which you linked.

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 12-06-2016, 10:46   #1430
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What you said:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2122150

Yes - models are refined and the science is not settled.
Well I guess I did say that and yes it does do that .
We now have information that will require them to totally redesign the sequestration models .
This new and developing information basicly renders current models obsolete due to new much more accurate data being presented. Requiring entirely new computation formula to be implemented. Still I'm trying to figure what all of our ( collectavly speaking) has to do with cruising in Arctic waters.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:19   #1431

Quote:
Well I guess I did say that and yes it does do that .
We now have information that will require them to totally redesign the sequestration models .
This new and developing information basicly renders current models obsolete due to new much more accurate data being presented. Requiring entirely new computation formula to be implemented.
Of course, all models are imperfect, improvement is always possible... but I suspect the improvements to the sequestration models will be on the order of adjusting a factor or two, not a total redesign.

I asked this before but no-one took it up - more plant growth still means more carbon is within the natural carbon cycle, which means whatever is bound up in plant matter is released back into the atmosphere when the plants decay and die. Very little of that plant-held carbon will actually be sequestered (ie removed permanently from the carbon cycle as trapped deposits or whatever). So, how significant is increased plant activity going to be as a process for removing carbon for the atmosphere, overall?

Quote:
Still I'm trying to figure what all of our ( collectavly speaking) has to do with cruising in Arctic waters.
This thread is the new catchbasin/septic field for anything AGW.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:28   #1432

Back on topic. This group has a space for one crew member.

http://polarocean.co.uk/

Old 12-06-2016, 14:49   #1433

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Reef remember warm = MMGW
Cold = weather
As to the temperature sensor placement in heat islands we have all been over this a long time ago.
BINGO! VVVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
You might want to review your Newtonian Laws...

(Status of May 2016 not yet available)

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 19:55   #1434

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

GO SAILING PEOPLE !!

You could all get swallowed up with a giant earthquake in the middle of the night. ISIS could nuke you like you were at a nightclub. (Nothing personal)
Don't worry about what MIGHT happen in a bazillion years..,

If you even HAVE a boat (which for some of you, I'm not so sure) GET IT OFF THE DOCK !

What would Bob Perry have said?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2016, 20:54   #1435
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
GO SAILING PEOPLE !!

You could all get swallowed up with a giant earthquake in the middle of the night. ISIS could nuke you like you were at a nightclub. (Nothing personal)

If you even HAVE a boat (which for some of you, I'm not so sure) GET IT OFF THE DOCK !

I do go sailing a couple times a week between Dr appts . But still find time to check in here on cf .
Old 13-06-2016, 04:47   #1436

Iron Fertilization In The Pacific Will Not Solve Climate Change | Tech Times
Quote:
Iron fertilization in the Pacific is not an effective solution to climate change, a new research has revealed.

Experts believed that iron fertilization can cause sporadic growth of algae that absorbs carbon in the ocean. They said more iron means will result in higher algae productivity, thus, increasing the carbon dioxide absorbed from the atmosphere and sank to the sea floor.

However, airborne dust irons in the Pacific did not translate to an increase in algae's ability to absorb carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, said Gisela Winckler, study lead author and a geochemist from Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (LDEO) in Columbia University.

In fact, the study correlated that previous iron fertilization in the Pacific have resulted in lower production of algae. Even though iron fertilization conducted in the past have controversial outcomes, it does not suggest that the same findings will be applicable in other areas.[...]

In 2004, the European Iron Fertilization Experiment (EIFEX) in the Southern Ocean was successful in making algae captured carbon dioxide in their organic tissue.

On the other hand, in 2009, German-Indian Lohafex experiment in the South Atlantic Ocean only resulted in minimal algal bloom, most of which were consumed by marine animals. This has resulted in carbon dioxide going into the food cycle, instead of sinking it.[...]

Cores from deep sea sediments were gathered from three different areas in the equatorial Pacific. The researchers used these to test for barium to establish the level of organic matter that was brought to the ocean floor. The researchers also tested for opal that came from groups of algae. Thorium-232 measurements were also taken to identify the iron dust that came from land.

The authors concluded that the purposeful addition of iron to the water surface of the Pacific will not result in a significant impact on mitigating the effects of atmospheric carbon dioxide.[...]

The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences on May 16.
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2016, 06:38   #1437

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
GO SAILING PEOPLE !!

Would love to go sailing. On June 1 I ruptured the quad tendon in my right leg playing squash. Heading for Maui on July 27 to bring back a Vic Maui boat. My surgeon assures me the leg should be OK by then.

Old 13-06-2016, 07:46   #1438

Quote:
On June 1 I ruptured the quad tendon in my right leg playing squash.
Ouch. Best wishes for a fast and full heal.
Old 13-06-2016, 10:24   #1439
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Did someone say Scientific Consensus?

High cholesterol 'does not cause heart disease' new research finds, so treating with statins a 'waste of time'

Do you know how many Billions of Dollars this "Consensus" has cost people in Dr Visits and Drugs.

The Follow the Money game Continues....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2016, 13:01   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Did someone say Scientific Consensus?

High cholesterol 'does not cause heart disease' new research finds, so treating with statins a 'waste of time'

Do you know how many Billions of Dollars this "Consensus" has cost people in Dr Visits and Drugs.

The Follow the Money game Continues....
the link quotes the following skeptics:
But Professor Colin Baigent, an epidemiologist at Oxford University, said the new study had “serious weaknesses and, as a consequence, has reached completely the wrong conclusion”.

Another sceptic, consultant cardiologist Dr Tim Chico, said he would be more convinced by randomised study where some patients have their cholesterol lowered using a drug, such as a stain, while others receive a placebo.
... and we love skeptics, right?

Also, the article is focussed on cholestorol and the elderly. Statins arguably have more clear-cut benefit for the middle-aged who have high LDL cholesterol, linked to early heart-attacks.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising