Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2016, 18:02   #1201
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
...This is the way the Country and World is heading...
I think I need one of those before setting sail and heading off into the sunset:




PS:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
...
Edit: Oops, this no longer makes sense. It was in reply to Adoxograph's disappeared post that said:

"I read the legislation here. C'mon SV THIRD DAY this is clearly satire."
Sorry StuM I deleted my post when I realised the source was not a satire site.
__________________

__________________
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:15   #1202
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,309
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
I read the legislation here (Today's Law As Amended). C'mon SV THIRD DAY this is clearly satire.
If only it was satire mi Amigo....but alas...the MMGW movement is getting desperate and unfortunately there is a growing movement in the US to not debate issues, but to silence the other side. Again...who's side will you be on?
Freedom vs Tyranny?
Free Speech vs Totalitarianism?
We have a choice to make....choose wisely.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:24   #1203
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I always go with Evelyn Beatrice Hall: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I'm a scientist, my research is in host stars of exoplanetary systems. I know one thing for sure: Scientific progress is seldom made without skeptics to be proven wrong (and sometimes proven even right)! What is the point of further research if everyone agrees and the science is settled?

@SV THIRD DAY Wouldn't a law like this be considered unconstitutional in the USA?
__________________
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:30   #1204
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,309
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
@SV THIRD DAY Wouldn't a law like this be considered unconstitutional in the USA?
A great many things go on these days that are clearly "Unconstitutional".
However, we are now living in a Post Constitutional Era, where the "living breathing" document can be made to restrict or allow whatever 9 (or 8 at the moment) black robe Super Legislators want.
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:31   #1205
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,915
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
How Dare you...

Landmark California bill would allow prosecution of climate-change skeptics - Washington Times

This is the way the Country and World is heading...don't agree with the Power that Be and KaPaw...you are a Criminal worthy of Persecution.

I would be sickened to be on the side of any argument that feels it needs to use such tactics....but will our friends in the MMGW movement cheer or will they stand with Freedom, even if it is the freedom to be wrong in their eyes?

This is a Test...and the results will be felt by you and your Children long after the World has moved away from Carbon based fuels.
Rich...This is a bogus site. The bill is not true.
TO ALL OTHERS. THIS LINK ADDS A TON OF ADWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER...Thanx Rich
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:31   #1206
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,460
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
It a common mistake to confuse weather with climate and climate variability with climate change. It comes all down to understanding the basic of statistics and of course the ability to comprehend the terminology used by climate scientists.

Weather can be highly variable on a daily, weekly, or even yearly basis. Today might be dry with a top temperature of 22 °C. Tomorrow might be wet, with a top of 14 °C. The weather is what you experience each day.

Climate is the average weather pattern in a place over at least 30 years.

Climate variability describes the way climate elements such as temperature and rainfall depart from the average value in given months, seasons, years, decades or centuries. Consecutive summers, for example, will not all be the same, with some cooler and some warmer than the long-term average. Australia’s climate for i.e. is famously variable. The El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO), for example, has a major impact on our rainfall, with El Niño conditions occurring every three to eight years and generally resulting in below average rainfall over much of eastern Australia, while wetter than average conditions can occur during La Niña years.

Climate change refers to a statistically-significant trend in climate over many decades. It is superimposed on natural yearly-to-decadal climate variability. This variability can mask or enhance underlying trends.Climate is said to be stable if the long-term average does not change significantly over time.

However, the data shows climate is changing worldwide. Some places are cooling down, others are getting warmer, but the trend over all data shows that Earth's temperature is heating up.



You are welcome. But be careful with your mooring lines if you are moored for aeons . Sea levels are raising but not really because of the influence of celestial bodies.

PS: If everyone would use the above definitions, most of the "misunderstandings" here would disappear. But so would the fun watching this highly dogma and believe driven debate.
Sorry to say but I think to you are being somewhat condescending. That's OK. I've come to expect it from the climate change wonks. Can I kindly suggest you re-read my post about climate change and weather. You will see that I don't accept the premise over which the convoluted climate warming house has been built.

You said:

"Climate change refers to a statistically-significant trend in climate over many decades. It is superimposed on natural yearly-to-decadal climate variability. This variability can mask or enhance underlying trends.Climate is said to be stable if the long-term average does not change significantly over time."

I say it is asinine to base models over decades when you should be using century and millennia.

But what difference does a thousand or million years make!
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:33   #1207
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,309
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Rich...This is a bogus site. The bill is not true.
Nope...it is TRUE.

It's the Washington Times Site
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...nge-skeptics/s page...

Maybe the Mexican Internet is playing tricks on you?

As shocking as it it...it's time to come to terms with how the MMGW proponents are pushing their Agenda...by force.
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:34   #1208
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,915
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
PS:

Sorry StuM I deleted my post when I realised the source was not a satire site.
I googled it and that bill came up with other States also. The fact that it added a ton of adware to me system spoke volumes.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:38   #1209
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,915
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Climate biggots sure do have a way with words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Sorry to say but I think to you are being somewhat condescending. That's OK. I've come to expect it from the climate change wonks.
Oh...you must mean like the above statement.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:41   #1210
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,309
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This is great...a real parallel to the other thread that was shut down. Looking forward to the end. Go guys!
Am I missing something?
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:50   #1211
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,915
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Thanks for your concern, but so far the conversation has been civil, polite and educational. Relax...drink a Pacifico and have a Gina Burger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Am I missing something?
I don't think so...you already replied to that post...see above. Maybe too many Pacifico's on the menu for you my friend.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 18:59   #1212
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,703
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Rich...This is a bogus site. The bill is not true.
TO ALL OTHERS. THIS LINK ADDS A TON OF ADWARE TO YOUR COMPUTER...Thanx Rich
Unfortunately it is true I found it and no adware are you sure you weren't actlly on one of those sites? Wait nope you are an MMGW supporter so this is just another part of the meme spread misdirection to keep people from seeing the facts.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 19:05   #1213
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,915
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Unfortunately it is true I found it and no adware are you sure you weren't actlly on one of those sites? Wait nope you are an MMGW supporter so this is just another part of the meme spread misdirection to keep people from seeing the facts.
Then that truly amazes me...but yes when I went to the Washington post site, i received 3 pop-ups and my fan which rarely comes on was screaming. I just bought a new Toshiba SSD laptop. Maybe my anti-virus is weak.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 19:09   #1214
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Rich...This is a bogus site. The bill is not true
Yes first I thought it was satire too but then I found this here: http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01520160SB1161
__________________
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 02-06-2016, 19:24   #1215
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,523
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Third Day's first link to the Wash. Times article worked for me. No adware.

Here's a direct link to the proposed legislation which recently died in the Calif. Senate without getting to a vote:

Today's Law As Amended

Check out how the bill is titled -- downright Orwellian . . . or maybe something out of N. Korea: "California Climate Science Truth and Accountability Act of 2016"

Funny, I always thought the best remedy for what some consider bogus speech was more speech? Whatever happened to the impetus behind the U.S. 1st Amend., namely that a "free marketplace of ideas" was the best guarantee of uncovering the truth? As adoxo just pointed out, isn't this one of the foundational precepts of the scientific method? With a purported 99.9% consensus, what exactly are the AGW proponents afraid of?

Something must be scaring them when we see threats of criminal prosecution from the federal & state govts, repeated interest in getting another thread closed down, deceptive posts designed to exaggerate how settled the science is, and of course the villification of an entire industry that makes our high standard of living possible. How far are people willing to go to make themselves feel like they're saving the planet?
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.