Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 14:38   #976

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Two things I see of issue here
1). This line graph only shows to 2014
2). Wait for it
The sattalite has been having major issues so as to throw any of its current measurements into question.
1) The red line ends on May 23, 2016 is 2016. I though you could have figured that out.

2)

Quote:
NSIDC has obtained data from the DMSP F-18 satellite and is in the process of intercalibrating the F-18 data with F-17 data. Intercalibration addresses differences between the series of sensors, in order to provide a long-term, consistent sea ice record. While this work continues, we are displaying the uncalibrated F-18 data in the daily extent image. The daily time series graph shows F-17 data through March 31, and F-18 data from April 1 forward. Initial evaluation of the uncalibrated F-18 data indicates reasonable agreement with F-17, but the data should be considered provisional and quantitative comparisons with other data should not be done at this time.
The graph compares NSIDC data with NSIDC data. The pre March 31 data is also well below the 2012 record levels and tends to be below all other years.

Check it out.

Charctic Interactive Sea Ice Graph | Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 15:13   #977

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Global Warming = increased temperatures

Climate Change = increased or decreased temperatures, variations in precipitation, increased or decreased extreme weather, etc.
There, fixed it for you.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 15:17   #978

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
There, fixed it for you.
OK. I will concede that.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 18:19   #979
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Remember all the MMGWC predictions that Hurricanes would be on the increase...opps...looks like those climate models were wrong again...ha ha ha

Season Approaches: U.S. Hits Record 127 Months Since Major Hurricane Strike
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 18:28   #980

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Remember all the MMGWC predictions that Hurricanes would be on the increase...opps...looks like those climate models were wrong again...ha ha ha

Season Approaches: U.S. Hits Record 127 Months Since Major Hurricane Strike
I find it really strange Rich that you would make a statement like this and then post a link to something that does not at all support what your statement states. Nothing in that link suggest climate models are wrong. All it's stating is that there has been an unprecedented stretch of time in which hurricanes have not 'reached landfall'. Nothing more.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 18:29   #981

Doh! I'm meant to be 'watching' wihout 'commenting'

I'll go back to being entertained I think.
Old 24-05-2016, 18:34   #982
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No problem explaining....

The MMGW cultists have been telling us that we are all going to die from increased hurricane activity...but they and their models were wrong once again. Not only has there been a record time without a US Landfall...but there is a big stretch of record low hurricane activity. Exactly opposite of what the models and Cultists have been telling us.

Happy to help...
Old 24-05-2016, 18:47   #983

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
No problem explaining....

The MMGW cultists have been telling us that we are all going to die from increased hurricane activity...but they and their models were wrong once again. Not only has there been a record time without a US Landfall...but there is a big stretch of record low hurricane activity. Exactly opposite of what the models and Cultists have been telling us.

Happy to help...
I've never ever heard any climate change people suggesting this. EVER!

Yes, there are suggestions I've heard that hurricane activity is forecast to increase. I've never seen anything that suggests this is wrong and certainly not the link you are using And the stretch of low hurricane activity 'hitting the coast' is not evidence of any decrease in hurricane activity.

The following link suggests the 'strenghs and duration' of hurricanes over the past three decades has increased by 50%. Id suggest a double in 'strenghs and duration' is pretty damn significant and nothing like what your suggesting.

Is Global Warming Making Hurricanes Worse?
Old 24-05-2016, 18:57   #984
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I've never ever heard any climate change people suggesting this. EVER!

Yes, there are suggestions I've heard that hurricane activity is forecast to increase. I've never seen anything that suggests this is wrong and certainly not the link you are using And the stretch of low hurricane activity 'hitting the coast' is not evidence of any decrease in hurricane activity.

The following link suggests the 'strenghs and duration' of hurricanes over the past three decades has increased by 50%. Id suggest a double in 'strenghs and duration' is pretty damn significant and nothing like what your suggesting.

Is Global Warming Making Hurricanes Worse?

Because you have not heard of it means what to us?
To me it means you need to pay a little more attention to the MMGW Cultists, it's actually fun to watch them predict the end of the world and increased hurricane activity and then when it doesn't happen, they...well...say nada.

Sorry Amigo...
MMGW Cultists have been predicting and saying this for years, because you don't know it...well....again, get more educated on their doom and gloom predictions so you too can have the fun of watching their predictions fall on the face.
Old 24-05-2016, 19:09   #985

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rustic, your link is over 10 years old and data since then has shown Emmanuel's study to be misleading. For more recent data:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurrica...y.asp?basin=gl

10 Things We Know About Accumulated Cyclone Energy
1. There is no evidence of a systematic increasing or decreasing trend in ACE for the years 1970-2012.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ACE.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	124833  
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 19:12   #986
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Rustic, your link is over 10 years old. For more recent data:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurrica...y.asp?basin=gl

10 Things We Know About Accumulated Cyclone Energy
1. There is no evidence of a systematic increasing or decreasing trend in ACE for the years 1970-2012.
Which is Contrary to the MMGW Cultists that have claimed for years that one of the deadly things about Global Warming is that it will increase the frequency and strength of Hurricanes. Another prediction that the models got wrong...
Old 24-05-2016, 19:27   #987

Boat: Liberty 458

Are we cooling this week? I must have missed that memo.

The problem with climate change are many:

1) we all experience weather not climate
2) the scientific community have become hooked on the climate change drug. Get funded to do science and never get proven wrong. Or right for that matter
3) our economies are addicted to exponential growth and consumption. The first has an assymtopic equilibrium. The second will peak. I suspect we're at that point now
4) politicians will not save us. Neither will wall street and the corporate obsession with quarterly results. A quarter is not a geologic unit of time
5) we cant even fix the simple fixable problems. Overfishing, nutrient polution from over use of fertilizers, dumping of long life plastics, promotion of green strategies, etc
6) rational debate and calling bulls#!t on much of the unreplicable so called science is seen as zealotry
7) proving, or disproving a hypothesis, aka the scientific method, is only acceptable to support FUD. Our great scientific forebears, einstein, curie, bohr, rutherford, crick, etc would be most displeased
8.) innovation and proven tech solutions are discouraged. Solar, wind and clean fuel over coal, nuclear
9) our cities are gridlocked and inefficient.
10) were dealing with a wicked problem, sterman's characteristics of complex systems apply. We wont fix problems with the same stupid thinking that created them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 19:32   #988
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Beautiful 9 points....
Old 24-05-2016, 19:34   #989

Records Fall in 2015 Cyclone Season : Image of the Day
Thirty major hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones occurred in the northern hemisphere in 2015; the previous record was 23 (set in 2004). Twenty-five of those storms reached category 4 or 5, well beyond the previous record of 18.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 24-05-2016, 19:46   #990

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Records Fall in 2015 Cyclone Season : Image of the Day
Thirty major hurricanes, typhoons, and cyclones occurred in the northern hemisphere in 2015; the previous record was 23 (set in 2004). Twenty-five of those storms reached category 4 or 5, well beyond the previous record of 18.
And the Southern hemisphere?

You missed this bit:

"The entirety of the Pacific Ocean, from Asia to the Americas was teeming with El Niño-influenced storms."

Take a look at the ACE chart again.
StuM is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising