Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 06:17   #886

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Globally anthropogenic CO2 emissions were 14.5 million tonnes per day in 1980. That is 5301 million tonnes in the year.

BTW 1 tonne = 1.1 tons.

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/ftp/ndp030/global.1751_2013.ems

Quote:
Someone's numbers are wrong.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 23-05-2016, 06:41   #887
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

oh boy. taxes.
tax those unable to pay taxes.
taxes the cure to world blues.
make everyone pay taxes on nothing for no good reason but padding someones pockets. oh boy . how to run the world. tax the F out of all persons alive and dead so the climate change will stop.
puleeeze.
tax the volcanoes to shut em up.
make sure everything is static.
the only constant is change and ye bitch about it. tax your great grandfathers for their inventions.
do it all posthumously.
wtf.
TAX TAX TAX.
the great amurikun cure all.
should cure it all..

like taxing the f out of anyone is gonna reverse a climate change.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 23-05-2016, 07:38   #888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Someone's numbers are wrong.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Actually mine are.

1980 5301 million metric tonnes of anthropogenic carbon per annum

which is 19,438,767,000 metric tonnes of anthropogenic carbon dioxide per annum

which is 53,256,896 metric tonnes per day of anthropogenic carbon dioxide

In 2013 35,848,592,000 metric tonnes of anthropogenic carbon dioxide per annum.

By 2013 we had pummped 1.5 trillion tonnes of CO2 in to the atmosphere.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 23-05-2016, 07:43   #889

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
oh boy. taxes.
tax those unable to pay taxes.
taxes the cure to world blues.
make everyone pay taxes on nothing for no good reason but padding someones pockets. oh boy . how to run the world. tax the F out of all persons alive and dead so the climate change will stop.
puleeeze.
tax the volcanoes to shut em up.
make sure everything is static.
the only constant is change and ye bitch about it. tax your great grandfathers for their inventions.
do it all posthumously.
wtf.
TAX TAX TAX.
the great amurikun cure all.
should cure it all..

like taxing the f out of anyone is gonna reverse a climate change.
A carbon tax is simply a means of putting a cost on excess CO2. Any company that has waste products in a liquid or solid form has to pay to have it properly disposed. Are invisible gases exempt just because we cannot see them in the air?

A carbon tax is collected from fossil-fuel companies upon the first sale at the mine, wellhead or port of entry.

The money collected via this fee would be distributed to the public as a monthly “dividend” or “green check.” Distributing all of the revenue equitably to households will ensure that families can afford the energy they need during the transition to a clean energy future, and it should help win public support for a rising carbon fee.

There is no government revenue and no corporate profit.

British Columbia has such system.
Old 23-05-2016, 08:15   #890

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I know this is old news but off the cuff for me. On may 18 1980 mount saint Helens erupted here emitting approximately. 2 million metric tons of co2. While at that same time all agw gasses in america equalled approx 81,000 metric tons per day .
This stuff is not measured by the day, month or year. The equations are figured over a long period of time, just like temperature. Generally in years. So again, yes, volcanos overall only contribute a fraction of what we humans are putting out day after day. Scary.
captlloyd is offline   Reply
Old 23-05-2016, 08:16   #891
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
A carbon tax is simply a means of putting a cost on excess CO2. Any company that has waste products in a liquid or solid form has to pay to have it properly disposed. Are invisible gases exempt just because we cannot see them in the air?

A carbon tax is collected from fossil-fuel companies upon the first sale at the mine, wellhead or port of entry.

The money collected via this fee would be distributed to the public as a monthly “dividend” or “green check.” Distributing all of the revenue equitably to households will ensure that families can afford the energy they need during the transition to a clean energy future, and it should help win public support for a rising carbon fee.

There is no government revenue and no corporate profit.

British Columbia has such system.
So you keep saying . Here is an issue I see with collecting that tax where you suggest. What about all the products made from that Petroleum such as the resins that make your boat possible or the foam that is on your chair/couch . What about the lube oil that is not burned but recycled ( these items along with many more don't release the carbon sequestered within them). And yet you pay a co2 tax on them?
What is done with that tax money?
Old 23-05-2016, 08:19   #892
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
This stuff is not measured by the day, month or year. The equations are figured over a long period of time, just like temperature. Generally in years. So again, yes, volcanos overall only contribute a fraction of what we humans are putting out day after day. Scary.
I have to correct myself as of 2015 they have changed the estimate of active volcanoes to well over 100. Every day
Old 23-05-2016, 08:22   #893

Quote:
What is done with that tax money?
In BC they lowered other taxes.

The shocking truth about B.C.’s carbon tax: It works - The Globe and Mail
Old 23-05-2016, 08:27   #894

Quote:
I have to correct myself as of 2015 they have changed the estimate of active volcanoes to well over 100. Every day
From the article to which you referred

Quote:
These inflating figures, I hasten to add, don't mean that our planet is suddenly venting more CO2.

Humanity certainly is; but any changes to the volcanic background level would occur over generations, not years. The rise we’re seeing now, therefore, must have been there all along

- See more at: Long Invisible, Research Shows Volcanic CO2 Levels Are Staggering | Volcano Climate
Old 23-05-2016, 08:33   #895
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My biggest issue with the numbers presented between anthropogenic co2. And volcanic co2 is they carry the same c12/c13 ratios how does the test equipment differentiate between the two ? (Other than what some person says the difference is)
Old 23-05-2016, 08:50   #896

Quote:
My biggest issue with the numbers presented between anthropogenic co2. And volcanic co2 is they carry the same c12/c13 ratios how does the test equipment differentiate between the two ? (Other than what some person says the difference is)
Carbon has two stable varieties (isotopes), C12 and C13. Because C13 has an extra neutron, it is heavier. In photosynthesis, most plants find it easier to take up the lighter C12, and do so at a higher rate than they take up C13, with the result that carbon compounds formed from the products of photosynthesis, including plants, animals and fossil fuels have a lower C13 to C12 ratio than does the atmosphere. Introducing a large quantity of CO2 derived from photosynthesis would cause the C13/C12 ratio to decline. In contrast, CO2 introduced from volcanoes or from outgassing from the ocean would not significantly affect the C13/C12 ratio. In fact the global C13/C12 ratio has declined, which is very strong evidence the source of the CO2 increase has was C12 enriched, ie, derived from photosynthesis. Therefore it is very strong evidence that it comes from the biosphere or fossil fuels, rather than from volcanoes or oceanic outgassing.
Old 23-05-2016, 08:58   #897

Boat: Valiant 42

The particles emitted by volcanoes causes the atmosphere to reflect the sun's radiant energy. So for a while these events tend to reduce atmospheric heating. It's kind of like putting a radiant barrier in the sky. When the particles eventually descend then that effect goes away.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply
Old 23-05-2016, 09:00   #898

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
The particles emitted by volcanoes causes the atmosphere to reflect the sun's radiant energy. So for a while these events tend to reduce atmospheric heating. It's kind of like putting a radiant barrier in the sky. When the particles eventually descend then that effect goes away.
Yep. That why El Cichon, Pinatubo, Tambora and Krakatoa all produced short-term cooling.
Old 23-05-2016, 09:51   #899

Quote:
BTW - The research to which you referred has a substantial section

Quote:
METHODS FOR MEASURING GEOLOGICAL CO2 EFFLUX

http://rimg.geoscienceworld.org/cont...1/323.full.pdf

That should deal with your issue.
Old 23-05-2016, 14:39   #900

Just as I thought. It's not global warming we should be worried about. It's getting very wet and cold out there.

Reported today.

So far this May, D.C. has had a record number of rainy days (19 of 23) and the coolest high temperatures since 1882. This May’s afternoon highs are running an incredible 15 degrees cooler than last May’s. And we still haven’t hit 80 degrees.

The Southeast Regional Climate Center says D.C.’s recent temperatures most resemble San Francisco’s.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising