Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 20:40   #781

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is a name that just might work
The methane reducing inclined plane wrapped around a central axis for the reduction of gw gasses in livestock. ( remember the fancier it sounds the easier it is to patent.)
Love it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but it sounds very highly patentable.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2016, 20:46   #782

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It is a "short term methane inhibitor". That might give you a better acronym.
Amazing. Thank you. Oh. Thanks for the heads up on the not so sound figures I gleaned from the Internet. It does illustrate my biggest problem with all of this in that who can you trust on either side. It's like standing in the Senate and asking who isn't a liar here. You know if someone puts up their hand and says tis I, you know you've just found d the biggest liar of a city full of liars.

I had a birthday last December. Do you think cynicism grows exponentially with age?

Regards,
Chaya
Old 23-03-2016, 21:08   #783

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post

I had a birthday last December. Do you think cynicism grows exponentially with age?

Regards,
Chaya
Critical thinking is more satisfying than cynicism. I suspect I have many more years than you.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 23-03-2016, 21:17   #784
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Love it. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it but it sounds very highly patentable.
An inclined plane wrapped around a central axis is the technical description of the machine that is known as a screw.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:42   #785

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
An inclined plane wrapped around a central axis is the technical description of the machine that is known as a screw.
Thanks. An inclined plane wrapped around a central axis methane inhibitor.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:51   #786

Quote:
Critical thinking is more satisfying than cynicism. I suspect I have many more years than you.
I don't see them being mutually different. It takes copious amounts of critical thinking to be a good cynic don't you think?
Old 24-03-2016, 00:34   #787

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Thanks. An inclined plane wrapped around a central axis methane inhibitor.
Or from The Big Bang Theory: What would you be if you were attached to another object by an inclined plane, wrapped helically around an axis?
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2016, 01:56   #788

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
One of the issues with Artic cruising is where you will get provisions when you go. It will be a while before the infrastructure gets built up and one question would be why? Jimmy Cornell just went up there and found out it is pretty far and between stores and fuel depots.

As far as the whole global warming thing, it is definitely possible that it could go either way. It is definitely possible that man-made emissions could swing it one way. Or not if Mother Nature decides to do something of a bigger nature where the stuff humans put up is only a rounding error.

One thing I don't think is true is that the global scientific community is cooking the books. There are many people who would like to but I don't think they are the ones who have published the majority of the finding about the trends. I find all the conspiracy theories pretty humorous. I think those are cooking their own books. And I think it is a conspiracy that we must all conspire to defeat.
You seem too sensible to ben this thread but well commented anyway
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2016, 06:33   #789

Quote:
I don't see them being mutually different. It takes copious amounts of critical thinking to be a good cynic don't you think?
Cynicism (an attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others) is an emotional reaction: critical thinking (the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action) is a rational response.

Cynicism is easy, critical thinking is hard.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:35   #790

Quote:
Cynicism (an attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others) is an emotional reaction: critical thinking (the intellectually disciplined process of actively and skillfully conceptualizing, applying, analyzing, synthesizing, and/or evaluating information gathered from, or generated by, observation, experience, reflection, reasoning, or communication, as a guide to belief and action) is a rational response.

Cynicism is easy, critical thinking is hard.
I give up. I'm blonde. Back to sunbathing.

However before I work on my tank san tan lines I would prefer this definition of cynicism as per the Oxford English Dictionary rather than the definition used from a dubious online dictionary.

CYNICISM:

1 An inclination to believe that people are motivated purely by self-interest; skepticismublic cynicism about politics

More example sentences Synonyms

1.1 An inclination to question whether something will happen or whether it is worthwhile; pessimism:cynicism about the future

More example sentences

2(Cynicism)A school of ancient Greek philosophers, the Cynics.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:56   #791

Quote:
I'm blonde.
So was I.
Old 24-03-2016, 13:30   #792

More information on the Cynic school of philosophy.

The founder of the cynic movement of philosophers in Rome was a leading student of Socrates. It was Socrates that gave us a form of argument and enquiry that is at the basis of scientific analysis even today. The Cynic school took the Socratic approach even further by questioning absolutely everything without respect or favor. Cynics held everything with scepticism and questioned everything. It is this manner of thinking that has uncovered some of our greatest scientific discoveries. Unlike today's conformist who choose to accept all manner of things without serious question.

So I still hold with what I said earlier. It takes copious amounts of critical thinking to be good cynic. But what would I know, I'm just a blonde.

The following is from a work on Philosophy.

THE CYNICS

Cynicism is a school of philosophy from the Socratic period of ancient Greece, which holds that the purpose of life is to live a life of Virtue in agreement with Nature (which calls for only the.bare necessities required for existence). This means rejecting all conventional desires for health,wealth, power and fame, and living a life free from all possessions and property.

Cynics lived in the full glare of the public's gaze and aimed to be quite indifferent in the face of any insults which might result from their unconventional behaviour. They saw part of their job as acting as the watchdog of humanity, and to evangelize and hound people about the error of their ways, particularly criticizing any show of greed, which they viewed as a major cause of suffering. Many of their ideas (see the section on the doctrine of Cynicism for more details) were later absorbedinto Stoicism.

The founder of Cynicism as a philosophical movement is usually considered to be Antisthenes (c. 445 - 365 B.C.), who had been one of the most important pupils of Socrates in the early 5th Century B.C. He preached a life of poverty, but his teachings also covered language,dialogue and literature in addition to the pure Ethics which the later Cynics focused on.

Antisthenes was followed by Diogenes of Sinope, who lived in a*tub*on the streets of Athens, and ate raw meat, taking Cynicism to its*logical extremes.*Diogenes*dominates the story of Cynicism like no other figure, and he came to be seen as the*archetypal*Cynic philosopher. He dedicated his life to*self-sufficiency*("autarkeia"),*austerity*("askesis") and*shamelessness*("anaideia"), and was famed for his biting*satire*and wit.

Crates of Thebes*(c. 365 - 285*B.C.), who*gave away*a large fortune so he could live a life of*poverty*in Athens, was another influential and respected Cynic of the period. Other notable Greek Cynics includeOnesicritus*(c. 360 - 290*B.C.),*Hipparchia*(c. 325*B.C.),*Metrocles*(c. 325B.C.),*Bion of Borysthenes*(c. 325 - 255*B.C.),*Menippus*(c. 275*B.C.),Cercidas*(c. 250*B.C.) and*Teles*(c. 235*B.C.).

With the rise of*Stoicism*in the*3rd Century*B.C., Cynicism as a serious philosophical activity underwent a*decline, and it was not until the Roman era that there was a Cynic*revival. Cynicism spread with the rise ofImperial Rome*in the 1st Century*A.D., and Cynics could be found*beggingand*preaching*throughout the cities of the*Roman Empire, where they were treated with a mixture of*scorn*and*respect. Cynicism seems to have thrived into the*4th Century*A.D., unlike*Stoicism, which had*long declined*by that time. Notable Roman Cynics include*Demetrius*(c. 10 - 80*A.D.),*Demonax*(c. 70 - 170*A.D.),*Oenomaus*(c. 120*A.D.),*Peregrinus Proteus*(c. 95 - 167*A.D.) and*Sallustius*(c. 430 - 500*A.D.).

Cynicism finally*disappeared*in the late*5th Century*A.D., although many of its*ascetic*ideas and*rhetorical methods*were adopted by Christianity
Old 24-03-2016, 13:38   #793

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
So was I.
That explains it
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 24-03-2016, 13:39   #794

GWA - terms have a habit of evolving into different connotations. Cyncism in the 21 century has taken on some very negative connotations. The same is true of "sophist."
Old 24-03-2016, 13:46   #795
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
GWA - terms have a habit of evolving into different connotations. Cyncism in the 21 century has taken on some very negative connotations. The same is true of "sophist."
Very true.. some folk associate 'Intelligence' with Donald Trump..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising