Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 16:02   #721
cruiser

Boat: cal 29
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

-5 f this morning. Come on global warming! !!!!!
sharkbait is offline   Reply
Old 10-01-2016, 17:28   #722

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
-5 f this morning. Come on global warming! !!!!!
Your just suffering a denial condition. An expert said last week that anyone not very concerned and doing something about global warming is suffering from a mental illness which he calls global warming denial syndrome.

I wonder how many people freezing their butts off accross the United States today are suffering from this global warming denial syndrome? :-)
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 20-02-2016, 04:40   #723

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think Walkabout is correct.
I looked at the sun yesterday and its definitely SMALLER! I got up extra early this morning and, yep, sunrise its just a piddler. Tiny.

So I rang NASA and after I reported it they told me: "you're an f'ing ijiot with the brain the size of a Christmas turkeys". Then they hung up on me!!

So its a COVER UP! That's exactly what they would do, isn't it? Hang up on me instead of sending the Space Shuttle up to check my FACTS.
I bet the CIA is in on it TOO!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!

This post is as far as I got reading this thread( this thread should be in the joke section BTW). As usual MarkJ is the bomb.
Old 20-02-2016, 10:43   #724

Meanwhile

Quote:
Arctic sea ice extent during January averaged 13.53 million square kilometers (5.2 million square miles), which is 1.04 million square kilometers (402,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average. This was the lowest January extent in the satellite record, 90,000 square kilometers (35,000 square miles) below the previous record January low that occurred in 2011.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-02-2016, 13:36   #725

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Fascinating! A grand pissing match over who can link to the most obscure source to make their point! Do you think anyone other than the posters gives a rats as*? Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 20-02-2016, 13:45   #726

Boat: Bristol 47.7

The debate seems more informative & balanced, if not more civil perhaps (generally), over here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-158143.html

There are also well-explained critiques -- pro & con -- of various charts & graphs, incl. the specific one Jack posted above.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 20-02-2016, 13:55   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
The debate seems more informative & balanced, if not more civil perhaps (generally), over here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-158143.html

There are also well-explained critiques -- pro & con -- of various charts & graphs, incl. the specific one Jack posted above.
The other thread is discussing climate change. What I was asking was are we entering a period of global cooling? I'm not interested in the fanatics from the climate change debate. I've been watching the effect of solar activity on earth temperature and I am serious about looking at the real potential of a strong cooling cycle. Its happened before and it may be happening again.
Old 20-02-2016, 14:20   #728

Here is one scientists observations on the cooling cycle we have entered according to his data.

Comparisons of historic global climate warming and cooling over the past century with PDO and NAO oscillations, glacial fluctuations, and sun spot activity show strong correlations and provide a solid data base for future climate change projections. As shown by the historic pattern of GDOs and PDOs over the past century and by corresponding global warming and cooling, the pattern is part of ongoing warm/cool cycles that last 25-30 years.

The global cooling phase from 1880 to 1910, characterized by advance of glaciers worldwide, was followed by a shift to the warm-phase PDO for 30 years, global warming and rapid glacier recession. The cool-phase PDO returned in ~1945 accompanied by global cooling and glacial advance for 30 years. Shift to the warm-phase PDO in 1977 initiated global warming and recession of glaciers that persisted until 1998. Recent establishment of the PDO cool phase appeared right on target and assuming that its effect will be similar to past history, global climates can be expected to cool over the next 25-30 years. The global warming of this century is exactly in phase with the normal climatic pattern of cyclic warming and cooling and we have now switched from a warm phase to a cool phase right at the predicted time (Fig.
5)

The ramifications of the global cooling cycle for the next 30 years are far reaching―e.g., failure of crops in critical agricultural areas (it’s already happening this year), increasing energy demands, transportation difficulties, and habitat change. All this during which global population will increase from six billion to about nine billion. The real danger in spending trillions of dollars trying to reduce atmospheric CO2 is that little will be left to deal with the very real problems engendered by global cooling.

CONCLUSIONS
Global warming (i.e, the warming since 1977) is over. The minute increase of anthropogenic CO2 in the atmosphere (0.008%) was not the cause of the warming—it was a continuation of natural cycles that occurred over the past 500 years.
The PDO cool mode has replaced the warm mode in the Pacific Ocean, virtually assuring us of about 30 years of global cooling, perhaps much deeper than the global cooling from about 1945 to 1977. Just how much cooler the global climate will be during this cool cycle is uncertain. Recent solar changes suggest that it could be fairly severe, perhaps more like the 1880 to 1915 cool cycle than the more moderate 1945-1977 cool cycle. A more drastic cooling, similar to that during the Dalton and Maunder minimums, could plunge the Earth into another Little Ice Age, but only time will tell if that is
likely.
Don J. Easterbrook is Professor Emeritus of Geology at Western Washington University. Bellingham, WA. He has published extensively on issues pertaining to global climate change. For further details see his list of publications
The original source of this article is Department of Geology, Western Washington University and Global Research

Copyright © Prof. Don J. Easterbrook, Department of Geology, Western Washington University and Global Research, 2015

Old 20-02-2016, 14:49   #729

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
Don J. Easterbrook is Professor Emeritus of Geology at Western Washington University. Bellingham, WA. He has published extensively on issues pertaining to global climate change. For further details see his list of publications
The original source of this article is Department of Geology, Western Washington University and Global Research

Copyright © Prof. Don J. Easterbrook, Department of Geology, Western Washington University and Global Research, 2015
This Don Easterbrook?

Don Easterbrook hides the incline – Deltoid

Don Easterbrook’s research misconduct – Deltoid

Don Easterbrook parties like it is 1855 – Deltoid
Old 20-02-2016, 15:05   #730

Oops. I'm bad. Wish I could delete my post by him. Thanks Jackdale for educating me. I will be far more cautious in future with the sources of what I read.
Old 20-02-2016, 15:05   #731

Quote:
The other thread is discussing climate change. What I was asking was are we entering a period of global cooling?
No, we are not entering a period of global cooling. Ask the solar scientists.

Solar activity varies about 0.1% .

Notice anything?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

From the Stanford Solar Center:

Quote:
During the initial discovery period of global climate change, the magnitude of the influence of the Sun on Earth's climate was not well understood. Since the early 1990s, however, extensive research was put into determining what role, if any, the Sun has in global warming or climate change.

A recent review paper, put together by both solar and climate scientists, details these studies: Solar Influences on Climate. Their bottom line: though the Sun may play some small role, "it is nevertheless much smaller than the estimated radiative forcing due to anthropogenic changes." That is, human activities are the primary factor in global climate change.
++++++++++++++++++++++

The sun's activity is in free fall, according to a leading space physicist. But don't expect a little ice age. "Solar activity is declining very fast at the moment," Mike Lockwood, professor of space environmental physics at Reading University, UK, told New Scientist. "We estimate faster than at any time in the last 9300 years."

Lockwood and his colleagues are reassessing the chances of this decline continuing over decades to become the first "grand solar minimum" for four centuries. During a grand minimum the normal 11-year solar cycle is suppressed and the sun has virtually no sunspots for several decades. This summer should have seen a peak in the number of sunspots, but it didn't happen.

But Lockwood says we should not expect a new grand minimum to bring on a new little ice age.Human-induced global warming, he says, is already a more important force in global temperatures than even major solar cycles. "

The fanatics are those who deny the science.
Old 20-02-2016, 15:26   #732

For me the best thing is to go sailing. Lower or higher ocean levels won't matter. Just may affect how much line you need to use tying up at the marina.
Old 20-02-2016, 15:35   #733

Quote:
For me the best thing is to go sailing. Lower or higher ocean levels won't matter. Just may affect how much line you need to use tying up at the marina.
We have floating docks in our neck of woods.

Heading the Bahamas tomorrow.
Old 20-02-2016, 15:45   #734

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
We have floating docks in our neck of woods.

Heading the Bahamas tomorrow.
Safe sailings jackdake. Are you sailing from Canada? How many days sailing do you think it will take? Are you going down the Atlantic or taking ICW?

Hope you get good winds.

Chaya
Old 20-02-2016, 16:02   #735

Quote:
Safe sailings jackdake. Are you sailing from Canada? How many days sailing do you think it will take? Are you going down the Atlantic or taking ICW?

Hope you get good winds.

Chaya
Chartering a Moorings 4600 out of Marsh Harbour.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising