Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2015, 12:40   #46

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
I live on a small island just of the coast of europe and I can assure you that the sea level here has not risen
I haven't read about recent sea level changes being dramatic. Most of what I've read talk about potential, future changes.

You'd think it would be even, all the oceans being water, but I've read that it isn't. The Panama Canal isn't even on both sides.

You might want to look at Venice, the Netherlands, the Maldives, or even Florida. Their mileage might be different than yours.
Foozinator is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 12:42   #47

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
I read somewhere in these ramblings that the sea level has risen dramatically,and that temperatures have also risen.
I live on a small island just of the coast of europe and I can assure you that the sea level here has not risen, nor has the temperature.
The winters are still bloody cold and the summers not much better.
When did people stop believing their eyes but believing the crap that the media spout.
Must be city dwellers.
Fear equals easy way to raise taxes
Nuff said
Global Warming: the first Pacific Islands submerged

5.6 mm = .25" (for us english unit users).

"Dramatically" is a relative term. So you sit on a cliff dozens of feet above sea level and yep, it's all a conspiracy to raise taxes. I'm betting that there is no way you (personally) can measure the rise of the sea level eh?

But of course that means it will take a hundred years for Miami to be flooded. And hey, who really cares if Miami is flooded anyway. And there's nothing I can do so "eat drink and be merry".

Or get a boat!

Yep, that's all it is, instilling fear so that taxes can be raised. The whole thing is a huge government conspiracy.

And BTW, just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.

Damned governments!
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 12:52   #48

Boat: Beneteau 393

I'm one of those guys who reads some of the research in a variety of science journals. The best summarized source of information I have found is:

Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity. Dec 21, 2010 by James Hansen

Hansen summarizes the research data and his conclusions in narratives that most can understand.
Mark Stillwell is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 12:52   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
Depressing. We used to be a nation that valued science.
Don't get too depressed. There are signs that things aren't all that bad, after all. (crazy source, I know, but they do list their sources...)

EDIT: I meant to mention that #12 and #13 are relevant, here.
Old 30-11-2015, 12:55   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stillwell View Post
I'm one of those guys who reads some of the research in a variety of science journals. The best summarized source of information I have found is:

Storms of My Grandchildren: The Truth About the Coming Climate Catastrophe and Our Last Chance to Save Humanity. Dec 21, 2010 by James Hansen

Hansen summarizes the research data and his conclusions in narratives that most can understand.
Sadly, the ability to understand and the willingness to believe are two entirely different things. There are folks out there that claim that the moon landing is a government conspiracy as well. Oh and the world is flat, innoculations are causing us to be fat, and ...

hang on, someone is knocking on my door. Must be the CIA again.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-now-or-never/

Now the pope is in on the conspiracy. Needs those taxes of course.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 13:01   #51

Why is it that frauds who cannot provide a reasoned reply immediately cry
" conspiracy theory " or " racist " or some other " 'ist "
I hear all the time about vague proof about submerged Islands and warmer sea waters.
Of course, all of these things are in the future according to the doom sayers,so that they cannot be proven.
As if the earth's climate is somehow a constant, solid evidence that we can see says that it is not. Not some airy fairy theory that we cannot prove one way or the other.
We know that man is busily destroying his environment , that much is obvious.
What we do not know is the long term result.
I suspect that homo-sapiens will become extinct long before it kills the host.
But then, that's just a conspiracy theory
bustermaw is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 13:09   #52

Boat: Pearson 36 cutter

I have learned from painful experience it is pointless to discuss this topic. People who have opinions about global warming maintain those opinions no matter what, and only 20-30 years down the road will anyone admit they were wrong. However, with respect to conspiracy theories, my dad, who worked in a senior position in the gummint, had a good saying about those, "People who believe in conspiracies perpetrated by the government have obviously never worked for the government". The corollary to that was, "The government cannot keep anything secret for more than five years if people want to know about it".
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 13:09   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

After 75 years on this planet I have observed the weather a lot and can conclusively state that yes, climate does change. It is called weather! Some times we have a hot summer, sometimes a cold winter, sometimes a cold summer, sometimes a hot winter. Get used to it for chrsakes! It's called weather... I'm sending Al Gore my tin foil hat... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 13:14   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
After 75 years on this planet I have observed the weather a lot and can conclusively state that yes, climate does change. It is called weather! Some times we have a hot summer, sometimes a cold winter, sometimes a cold summer, sometimes a hot winter. Get used to it for chrsakes! It's called weather... I'm sending Al Gore my tin foil hat... Phil
Well done Phil.Common sense at last
Old 30-11-2015, 13:17   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
...yes, climate does change. It is called weather!
Already mentioned. Climate and weather are not the same thing.
Old 30-11-2015, 13:23   #56

Quote:
Why is it that frauds who cannot provide a reasoned reply immediately cry
" conspiracy theory " or " racist " or some other " 'ist "
No 'ists here

Quote:
I hear all the time about vague proof about submerged Islands and warmer sea waters.
Of course, all of these things are in the future according to the doom sayers,so that they cannot be proven.
Links above. Already happening.

Quote:
As if the earth's climate is somehow a constant
Never said it was. Semantic argument about a catch phrase the media abuses.

Quote:
We know that man is busily destroying his environment , that much is obvious.
What we do not know is the long term result.
Agreed that we've been destroying the environment. But, we've been doing it long enough that we can see long term effects from the stuff we've already done.

Quote:
I suspect that homo-sapiens will become extinct long before it kills the host.
Considering that they've found life in the clouds and far underground, I would consider it arrogant to say that we could possibly "kill the planet". We do, however, have the ability to really muck it up for ourselves and much of the complex life around us.
Old 30-11-2015, 13:35   #57

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

When more than 95% of scientists agree on any topic I think we can honestly dispense with the "conflicting opinion" arguments. Anyone still confused has simply studied far too little of the subject.
holtjp is offline   Reply
Old 30-11-2015, 13:38   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozinator View Post
No 'ists here

Links above. Already happening.

Never said it was. Semantic argument about a catch phrase the media abuses.

Agreed that we've been destroying the environment. But, we've been doing it long enough that we can see long term effects from the stuff we've already done.

Considering that they've found life in the clouds and far underground, I would consider it arrogant to say that we could possibly "kill the planet". We do, however, have the ability to really muck it up for ourselves and much of the complex life around us.
Read the script. Where does," I suspect that homo sapiens will become extinct long before the host " become killing the planet ?
Old 30-11-2015, 13:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
When more than 95% of scientists agree on any topic I think we can honestly dispense with the "conflicting opinion" arguments. Anyone still confused has simply studied far too little of the subject.
95% , well I don't know about that number.
What I do know is that probably that figure rely on Government and Corporate funding ,
Make of that what you will
Old 30-11-2015, 13:41   #60

Quote:
Read the script. Where does," I suspect that homo sapiens will become extinct long before the host " become killing the planet ?
I must misunderstand what you mean by "host", then. If you didn't mean the Earth, what did you mean?
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising