Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 20:17   #571
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I would like to to substantiate your assertions.

I am not opposed to GM. However, I am opposed to patenting food.
Let me Wikipedia that for you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene..._modified_food

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 20:20   #572
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Let me Wikipedia that for you

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene..._modified_food

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I know what GM is. Right now it is a deflection from the issue at hand.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 20:26   #573
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I know what GM is. Right now it is a deflection from the issue at hand.
Ok, in 50 words or less, ignoring that one of your links also indicates that a lot of crops will maintain or even increase in nutrition in the futuresphere....

Genetic modification of crops can be used to increase nutritional value, resistance to insects and disease. BINGO! Problem solved. And forget about patents, in the context of things they don't last that long and if it's such a concern to you personally, eat fortified breakfast cereals.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 20:40   #574
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 2,977
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Yep

The total anthropogenic carbon emissions from 1751 to 2011 is:
373,729,000,000 metric tonnes or 1,370,464,000,000 metric tonnes of CO2.

1751 - 3 million metric tons of anthropogenic carbon emissions
2011 - 9449 million metric tons of anthropogenic carbon emissions

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/ftp/ndp030/global.1751_2011.ems

I used a spread sheet to get the total.
OK then I take it you mean trillion metric tons of co2
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:01   #575
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

Genetic modification of crops can be used to increase nutritional value, resistance to insects and disease.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Name one developed to deal with increased CO2.

The Wiki link makes no reference to CO2.

Wishful thinking will not suffice.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:16   #576
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Name one developed to deal with increased CO2.

The Wiki link makes no reference to CO2.

Wishful thinking will not suffice.
Pedantic? I think so. Those of us equipped with an ability to think and reason for ourselves without the need to rely upon peer reviewed papers or other cited sources can draw logical conclusions from the vast ocean of data available to all....

Some plants E.g wheat may lose up to 15% nutritional value.
Genetic modification may allow increased wheat yields to negate the perhaps15%
Whilst maybe increasing it's nutritional value
Whilst maybe making it tolerant of warmer climatic conditions
Whilst maybe equipping it with freaking big lasers.

Then again, maybe we can switch to existing strains of corn and sorgum your beloved peer reviewed above reproach sources tell us maybe will increase in nutritional value.

To be frank, these types of papers that you quote are one of the reasons that more and more people are classifying climate change hysteria into the same categories as the millennium bug.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:45   #577
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

To be frank, these types of papers that you quote are one of the reasons that more and more people are classifying climate change hysteria into the same categories as the millennium bug.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The level of ignorance about both is equivalent.

I worked in an IT department just prior to 2000. I did not work on the Y2K, but I was aware of the ramifications.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:48   #578
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Pedantic? I think so. Those of us equipped with an ability to think and reason for ourselves without the need to rely upon peer reviewed papers or other cited sources can draw logical conclusions from the vast ocean of data available to all....
I surmise that Isaac Asimov's observation applies equally to some Australians.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:53   #579
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I surmise that Isaac Asimov's observation applies equally to some Australians.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
With all due respect, if you think two papers proffering what if suppositions will somehow prevail over existing here and now technologies then the accusations of ignorance you attempt to cast must fall upon youself well before others.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:55   #580
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The level of ignorance about both is equivalent.

I worked in an IT department just prior to 2000. I did not work on the Y2K, but I was aware of the ramifications.
Yes 2 digit years in legacy code. Your point being?

Just to edit were you one of the doomsayers telling us planes were going to fall from the sky?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 21:58   #581
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Yes 2 digit years in legacy code. Your point being?

Just to edit were you one of the doomsayers telling us planes were going to fall from the sky?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We have a number of older programs with 2 digits years.

Planes were not going to fall from the sky.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 22:00   #582
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
We have a number of older programs with 2 digits years.

Planes were not going to fall from the sky.
What were they written on. A Commodore 64?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 22:00   #583
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
With all due respect, if you think two papers proffering what if suppositions will somehow prevail over existing here and now technologies then the accusations of ignorance you attempt to cast must fall upon youself well before others.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Then why do you not show me these current technologies and ally my concerns.

I have no science from you, just assertions.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 22:06   #584
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Then why do you not show me these current technologies and ally my concerns.

I have no science from you, just assertions.
Round and round we go....
Genetic modification
Corn flakes

No one eats grains of wheat like peanuts and nothing else. If this unfolding disaster of low nutrient wheat affecting billions comes to the fore, let's chuck the missing iron and zinc and whatever in during the milling process. It is the 21st century after all and, surprise, surprise, we do possess the technology to do this rather effortlessly.

Personally, I think your harping on a storm in a teacup.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-12-2015, 22:12   #585
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,712
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Then why do you not show me these current technologies and ally my concerns.

I have no science from you, just assertions.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2442550/

http://www.yara.com.au/crop-nutritio...y-and-quality/

Of course these probably don't satisfy your requirements for a link with increased CO2 but they're hard to find because I think aside from you and the authors of the papers you sprout, no one cares.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:44.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.