Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 02:35   #466
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 30,333
Images: 240
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I'm saying 35% admin expenses for a not for profit organisation is high.
I disagree. I think 35% admin' is VERY high!
__________________

__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is online now   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 03:48   #467
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Melbourne Florida
Boat: Columbia 24
Posts: 98
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

All this talk of climate change reeks of paranoia. People need to get a life. More sailing, less internet.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Eumelia is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:19   #468
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,720
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Sea ice in northern hemisphere is decreasing however the southern sea ice is increasing. At the same time northern land coverage by snow and ice is also increasing which to me seems to be almost a wash in total global ice and snow coverage figured by decades averages according to noaa

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global-snow/201511
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:22   #469
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,688
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

You simply won't let reality get in the way of a good rant, will you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Why don't you guys with bees in your bonnets over this issue redirect your efforts to something more tangible. Like the incredible waste of resources found in today's first world societies. You know, like V8 SUV'S purchased primarily by "soccer moms" and manufacturer's that bulk up the packaging yet reduce weight of the cookies or whatever for no other reason then to maximise profit for instance.
Wow. you really don't get it. The whole "climate change" thing has, in the public eye and in politics, become the proxy for ALL of the above, and for any policy change that tilts towards conservation, resource management, cleanup, sustainability... and away from unrestrained profits.

Because the eggs are all in the one basket, and because people like you have drunk the koolaid about the great AGW con-spirasay ... progress is stalled, including fixing the very things you rail against above.

Climate change is but one of the looming problems, but it is among the looming problems. By so stridently opposing AGW, you're helping block progress, period. Thanks for that.

Quote:
Someone mentioned that so called "big oil" should pay for their co2 pollution, yet I don't see Sony or Gerni paying landfill taxes for their products.
Exhibit #2 for how you don't get it. First, the issue isn't big oil "paying" for CO2 pollution, it's that the pollution isn't currently priced into the cost of fossil fuels, so the actual costs of mitigation and cleanup are borne by the taxpayers (if the government bothers to do anything). And ... maybe we should stop subsidizing the extraction, processing and sale of coal and oil.

I dunno about Australia, but in some parts of Canada there has been a disposal surcharge when electronics are sold, so yeah, SONY customers are starting to bear the cost of electronics disposal. think this is the case in most of Europe too.

There are 1000 other reasons besides climate change for making the same set of serious changes. Let go of the AGW hobbyhorse and focus on the ones you do feel are important. Seriously.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:38   #470
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozinator View Post
Honestly, I think most people tell you to stop talking not for your message, but for the way you present it. At least Stu provides counter-points and supports his arguments without resorting to much name calling. The immature insults and hand waving I've seen you post here are hardly worth the read.
You can call pointing out the Truth about the MMGWC as hand waiving...but the truth is saying we are destroying the planet by CO2 is a little more than hand waving, it's a lie.

As a scientist, you must also call out people doing irrefutable damage to the profession of Science with their Cultist activities.

If you don't like my tone...
Merry Christmas....does that help?
Well maybe this FACT about how the Warming Temps are Bogus will?
http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/ex...warming-trend/

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sea ice in northern hemisphere is decreasing however the southern sea ice is increasing. At the same time northern land coverage by snow and ice is also increasing which to me seems to be almost a wash in total global ice and snow coverage figured by decades averages according to noaa

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global-snow/201511
Shhhh...in today's world pointing out the facts that disprove someones personal believes gets you labeled a hater or immature for name calling.

In honor of the increased Snow levels and ice formation...everyone sing along....
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:43   #471
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,967
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sea ice in northern hemisphere is decreasing however the southern sea ice is increasing. At the same time northern land coverage by snow and ice is also increasing which to me seems to be almost a wash in total global ice and snow coverage figured by decades averages according to noaa

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global-snow/201511
Worth a thousand words.



__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:46   #472
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,417
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

What seems like a thousand words is your signature line.
We all know you know how to sail...
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 08:50   #473
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
What seems like a thousand words is your signature line.
We all know you know how to sail...
Yes....but can we add Climate Scientist to that list?
OR
Cut/Past Internet Activist?
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 09:29   #474
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,460
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Worth a thousand words.



So I am going to indeed have to prepare for more ice in the southern waters. Not that I wasn't going to have to be careful anyway. From your presented information some Antarctic landing places that are easily accessible at the moment may not be so easy in the near future. And we may have to be on the lookout for a lot more icebergs than at present. Mind you even now you would have to have a solid watch and a good surface setting on your radar. The increased difficulty in finding places to come ashore may be the biggest problem of the coming years.

Does anyone know of a boat yard that has experience in laying insulation on a fiberglass cat? Perhaps I should ask around some of the yards in Argentina while I'm here. I'd prefer to hire someone to do the work so it looks the best it can.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 09:53   #475
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,967
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Just one of your points from you long list. Can you please explain the cold winter record lows last year in the United States?
Some cut and paste

Quote:
Earth has seen some highly unusual weather patterns over the past three years, and three new studies published this year point to Arctic sea loss as a potential important driver of some of these strange weather patterns. The record loss of sea ice the Arctic in recent years may be increasing winter cold surges and snowfall in Europe and North America, says a study by a research team led by Georgia Institute of Technology scientists Jiping Liu and Judith Curry. The paper, titled "Impact of declining Arctic sea ice on winter snowfall", was published on Feb. 27, 2012 in the online early edition of the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "Our study demonstrates that the decrease in Arctic sea ice area is linked to changes in the winter Northern Hemisphere atmospheric circulation, said Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech, in a press release. "The circulation changes result in more frequent episodes of atmospheric blocking patterns, which lead to increased cold surges and snow over large parts of the northern continents."
Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns | Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

The cold snap was pretty much just eastern North America; the rest of the world, including my part, was warmer than normal.

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 09:56   #476
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,967
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/exclusive-noaa-relies-on-compromised-thermometers-that-inflate-u-s-warming-trend/

Ha ha ha....but the data shows warming we all doomed
Ah...wait....what's that....the warming data is bogus? Nothing to see here folks...move along...
The Daily Caller -
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 10:48   #477
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,720
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I have one issue with some on here speaking of loss or gains in strict percentages. We need actual numbers to get the real picture ( I am an engineer not a theorist ) here are the November 2015 numbers
Northern hemisphere is 3.88 million sq miles and southern hemisphere is 6.37 million sq miles
Which means that a net loss in the north of 1% would equal 38,800 sq miles where as a 1% increase in the south would equal 63,700 sq miles which I hope shows that percentages are not representative of what is actually happening in total global sea ice .
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 10:53   #478
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,720
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Some cut and paste



Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns | Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog

The cold snap was pretty much just eastern North America; the rest of the world, including my part, was warmer than normal.

Well let's see here the report you referenced from last February is almost the polar opposite of the one from Nov of this year.
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/servic...ntp/201511.gif
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 11:31   #479
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The Daily Caller -
Notice he won't address the Hoax exposed by the article...only attack the messenger. Hmmm....I think we have seen that approach before.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 18-12-2015, 12:04   #480
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably and anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 3,027
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
Does anyone know of a boat yard that has experience in laying insulation on a fiberglass cat?
Are you really considering cruising Antarctica in a fibreglass cat?
__________________

__________________
conachair is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.