Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 15:01   #451

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You missed the word "most" in my reference to propane and butane propellants and OMG are you advocating co2????

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
HFC's, N2O and CO2 are GHG's
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 15:06   #452

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
HFC's, N2O and CO2 are GHG's
So we should be using more butane and propane or am I missing something here?

Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 15:29   #453

Quote:
So we should be using more butane and propane or am I missing something here?

I am no expert. But it might be better that using them as fuel.

The downside is that they are explosive. They are 2 of the answers we accept for what explosive substances are found on boats.
Old 17-12-2015, 15:44   #454

Quote:
I am no expert. But it might be better that using them as fuel.

The downside is that they are explosive. They are 2 of the answers we accept for what explosive substances are found on boats.
Can't disagree with that. The upside is the endless hours of fun for youtube viewers, however.

Old 17-12-2015, 15:49   #455

Quote:
Can't disagree with that. The upside is the endless hours of fun for youtube viewers, however.
It would not matter what gas was in the aerosol container. When heated it would burst the container in an explosive manner.
Old 17-12-2015, 16:08   #456

Quote:
It would not matter what gas was in the aerosol container. When heated it would burst the container in an explosive manner.
Purty sure that last sucker was full of sometin' flammable!

I used to burn CFC aerosol cans as a young kid for fun. Impressive as they were when they "popped", they nether went off in balls of flame like the modern ones do!
Old 17-12-2015, 17:28   #457

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Global Climate Models have successfully predicted:

SNIP
Global climate models have successfully predicted thousands of things since there are literally thousands of global climate models.

Global climate models have unsuccessfully predicted thousands of things since there are literally thousands of global climate models.

You fail to mention the models are unsuccessful many more times than they are successful.

What happened to Al Gore (and other scientists backing him up) predicting a seven foot rise in sea level. Not to mention hundreds, if not thousands, of predictions of the temperature rising much more than the actual measurements.

Global climate models are a joke. They simply don't work.
tomfl is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 18:07   #458

Quote:
Global Climate Models have successfully predicted:

Winter warms more than summer
Arrhenius 1896
Manabe and Stouffer 1980
Rind et al. 1989Balling et al. 1999
Volodin and Galin 1999
Crozier 2003
Just one of your points from you long list. Can you please explain the cold winter record lows last year in the United States?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 18:15   #459

Quote:
I'm saying 35% admin expenses for a not for profit organisation is high.

On the same point but not related to climate except for the free loaders living off public anxiety and emotions. Have a look at the USA Red Cross. They received millions following the Haiti earthquake. How much was spent on Haiti? Less than 5%. How much does the Chief Executive of the Red Cross USA receive in salary? $100K or $250K or north of a $Million. North of a $Million per annum.
Old 17-12-2015, 18:38   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
On the same point but not related to climate except for the free loaders living off public anxiety and emotions. Have a look at the USA Red Cross. They received millions following the Haiti earthquake. How much was spent on Haiti? Less than 5%. How much does the Chief Executive of the Red Cross USA receive in salary? $100K or $250K or north of a $Million. North of a $Million per annum.
Actually, the Red Cross represents the quintessential definition of what a charity should be and it would be very harsh to be too critical of them.

In relation to a previous post, their 2014 report shows administration expenses of 3.8% and fund raising expenses of 6.0% for the American Red Cross in 2014. Not to harp on it too much, but admin expenses can be a measure of the "top heaviness" of a not for profit organisation so in this regard the report card on these numbers look to be a pass.

Old 17-12-2015, 19:07   #461

Quote:
Actually, the Red Cross represents the quintessential definition of what a charity should be and it would be very harsh to be too critical of them.

In relation to a previous post, their 2014 report shows administration expenses of 3.8% and fund raising expenses of 6.0% for the American Red Cross in 2014. Not to harp on it too much, but admin expenses can be a measure of the "top heaviness" of a not for profit organisation so in this regard the report card on these numbers look to be a pass.

Sorry but I witnessed first hand how bad they are. I was in Jacmel 48 hours after the earthquake. I traveled from coast to coast across the mountain. Visiting ruined towns and cities to bring medical supplies, doctors, nurses and setting up field clinics. The first weeks of the emergency NO Red Cross were to be seen throughout more than 2/3's of the affected country. While at the time back in the USA everyone from the President down was telling everyone to donate to the Red Cross. I attended amputations without much needed medicine. Try being part of an operation where your cutting into limbs without being able to administer anesthetic. It brings back the horrors just writing this. I remember standing in Jackmel with the head of the Dominican Republic Red Cross who had a boat load of med supplies off the coast having been paid for and sent by the Government of the PR. She was their to hand over the supplies to the USA Red Cross who promised to meet the DR Red Cross at the Jackmel port. Guess what. The USA Red Cross bozos didn't show up. People in the field without even the basics. Field clinics that had run out of bandages and had no coverings for the dead. Just had to pile them up away from the living. And these Red Cross from the USA couldn't drag themselves away from the TV cameras in Port AuPrince to take delivery of the much needed medical supplies. At the end the Red Cross from the Dominican Republic handed them over to us and we used the supplies for the plane loads of volunteer doctors and nurses that i helped bring into the country.

i have seen the best and the worst. People doing good and then the do gooders who do nothing but take money.
Old 17-12-2015, 19:47   #462

No doubt it sounds like they could have done better, but it's possible they did the best the could in the circumstances. It seems like it was a major logistical operation under difficult conditions.

Old 17-12-2015, 20:27   #463
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/exclusive-noaa-relies-on-compromised-thermometers-that-inflate-u-s-warming-trend/

Ha ha ha....but the data shows warming we all doomed
Ah...wait....what's that....the warming data is bogus? Nothing to see here folks...move along...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 21:00   #464

Quote:
No doubt it sounds like they could have done better, but it's possible they did the best the could in the circumstances. It seems like it was a major logistical operation under difficult conditions.

Reefmagnet. They were not to be seen. There should be an investigation into what they did with the Haiti money. They even admitted in a press report when being questioned about this that while people gave them money for Haiti they had the right to use it for other purposes. Go check your reports and find how much the executives are lining their pockets with.
Old 17-12-2015, 21:03   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
http://dailycaller.com/2015/12/17/exclusive-noaa-relies-on-compromised-thermometers-that-inflate-u-s-warming-trend/

Ha ha ha....but the data shows warming we all doomed
Ah...wait....what's that....the warming data is bogus? Nothing to see here folks...move along...
I remember reading that they also relocated some ocean sensors to locations that had known warmer water flow through.

I still have an open mind but it doesn't mean that I am open to being manipulated.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising