Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 11:40   #421
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,711
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Which of those funders gave you fits & giggles?
Excluding tho ones with snouts in the trough? None.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:16   #422
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 2,977
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Here is something that just occurred to me. Is there anyone that received funds be it donations /grants regardless of where the funds come from to fix the problem or was the money to fund study of the problem?
__________________

__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:43   #423
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is something that just occurred to me. Is there anyone that received funds be it donations /grants regardless of where the funds come from to fix the problem or was the money to fund study of the problem?
I am not sure what you are asking.

Both "sides" get government funding. For example, all of the funding for Roy Spencer's work at University of Alabama Huntsville comes from NOAA, NASA and DOE. He denies AGW.

Global Warming « Roy Spencer, PhD

Richard Lindzen was awarded over $3,000,000 in National Science Foundation grants during his career.

Both "sides" also get private / corporate funding. Willie Soon got over $1,000,000 for the American Petroleum Institute. The Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) study was initially funded by both the Gates Foundation and the Koch Foundation.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:43   #424
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,816
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is something that just occurred to me. Is there anyone that received funds be it donations /grants regardless of where the funds come from to fix the problem or was the money to fund study of the problem?
How do you mean? It's not like climate scientists are about to build a giant climate-fixer machine.
__________________
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:55   #425
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 2,977
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

OK that was meant in general not climate specific. I should have been more clear on my post.
Did any of the climatology studies come up with a viable plan ? The last time I remember was about the depletion of he ozone and the potential melanoma risks risks to everyone. That issue was dealt with quickly.
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 12:56   #426
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,711
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Here is something that just occurred to me. Is there anyone that received funds be it donations /grants regardless of where the funds come from to fix the problem or was the money to fund study of the problem?
Scientists much prefer to study Antarctic plankton whilst burning 5000 gallons of diesel per day (around 50 tonnes of CO2 daily, fwiw) but that's ok 'cos it's all in the name of climate research - despite the fact that 97% are convinced it's real and man made - than to actually research anything that could possibly help fix the problem.

It's kind of like having a plethora of doctors poking and prodding you to confirm a single prognosis without ever attempting to actually cure you.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:00   #427
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
OK that was meant in general not climate specific. I should have been more clear on my post.
Did any of the climatology studies come up with a viable plan ? The last time I remember was about the depletion of he ozone and the potential melanoma risks risks to everyone. That issue was dealt with quickly.
Ozone depletion was deal with by government regulation banning / restricting the use of CFCs and cap and trade systems. The Montreal Protocol was one of Reagan's initiatives.

Climatologists have tended to leave the policy decisions to politicians. James Hansen is a major exception; he strongly advocates for a revenue neutral carbon tax and for nuclear energy.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:02   #428
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Scientists much prefer to study Antarctic plankton whilst burning 5000 gallons of diesel per day (around 50 tonnes of CO2 daily, fwiw) but that's ok 'cos it's all in the name of climate research - despite the fact that 97% are convinced it's real and man made - than to actually research anything that could possibly help fix the problem.

It's kind of like having a plethora of doctors poking and prodding you to confirm a single prognosis without ever attempting to actually cure you.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Research money is available for solutions. I posted a link earlier. That research is often in the hands of engineers.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:10   #429
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 30,950
Images: 240
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Excluding tho ones with snouts in the trough? None.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Which of those funders gave you fits & giggles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Actually, linkety click through to the source of that hysteria, and their sources of funding for fits and giggles...
Report - DARA
Who supports us - DARA
Well, thanks for that highly responsive answer, full of verifiable fact.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:11   #430
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,711
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Research money is available for solutions. I posted a link earlier. That research is often in the hands of engineers.
Perhaps you'd care to quote the funding ratio between the two fields? I, for one, am interested in this number.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:13   #431
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,711
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Well, thanks for that highly responsive answer, full of verifiable fact.
Gord. You disappoint me. My google-fu is strong, too.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:17   #432
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 2,977
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Ozone depletion was deal with by government regulation banning / restricting the use of CFCs and cap and trade systems. The Montreal Protocol was one of Reagan's initiatives.

Climatologists have tended to leave the policy decisions to politicians. James Hansen is a major exception; he strongly advocates for a revenue neutral carbon tax and for nuclear energy.
I understand that the science is separate however the Montreal protocol ( and I'm just using it as a reference). Had to have been based on the science that cfc's were bad to get the politics to enact the protocol to begin with. Now they need to get he proof that agw mmgw or whatever label you want on it is bad to force the worlds leaders to act.
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:19   #433
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Perhaps you'd care to quote the funding ratio between the two fields? I, for one, am interested in this number.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I honestly do not know. It would take a lot of digging, which I do to have time to do.

Perhaps you could do so, as it is of interest to you.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:20   #434
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,711
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I honestly do not know. It would take a lot of digging, which I do to have time to do.

Perhaps you could do so, as it is of interest to you.
I suspect I could guess the approximate ball park answer already.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 17-12-2015, 13:21   #435
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,001
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I understand that the science is separate however the Montreal protocol ( and I'm just using it as a reference). Had to have been based on the science that cfc's were bad to get the politics to enact the protocol to begin with. Now they need to get he proof that agw mmgw or whatever label you want on it is bad to force the worlds leaders to act.
The science is based on evidence. Proof is for mathematics and booze.

Paris, 2015 was a start by the politicians.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.