Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 06:57   #346
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,691
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
But the question still remains. Should I be preparing for arctic like sailing conditions because of global cooling?
It was a troll as a thread-starter, it's still one now.

btw, it's never bad to insulate when you can. It makes both heating and cooling more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
Can we please get back to talking about sailing?
We (including you) were never talking about sailing/cruising in this thread. But I agree this particular topic is not useful here. Yet the mods permit it, so...
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 12:23   #347
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,691
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

The 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris has just wrapped up with 195 countries signing onto an accord.

Top level details of the accord

Questions for sailorchic and anyone else who professes to be green but is doubtful of AGW:

  1. Please review the elements in the accord. try to ignore any mentions of climate or warming or AGW. Focus simply on the actions in the agreement. which do you like, which do you dislike, and why.
  2. Pretend for a moment that the issue of climate change/AGW doesn't exist, it's not percieved as a looming problem. So this event is just the UN Conference for Reducing Pollution and Maximizing Fossil Fuel Reserves for Future Generations. Same question: how do you feel about the accord now, are the provisions justified for reasons not to do with the climate, do you think they will be effective and appropriate?
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 12:48   #348
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 30,338
Images: 240
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris has just wrapped up with 195 countries signing onto an accord.

Top level details of the accord
PARIS AGREEMENT - COP21
The final text of the draft agreement commits countries to keeping global warming "to well below 2 degrees C" and strives to limit it to 1.5 C, with the goal of a carbon-neutral world sometime after 2050.
http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09.pdf
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 14:12   #349
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Boat: Pearson 36 cutter
Posts: 46
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

"Here is an interesting "fact" When I was in High School way back in the 70s we were being taught that we were going into an Ice Age because of burning a hole in the ozone. To get a proper analysis you need to go back 1000s of years and 10,000s and 100,000s of years. In my case in just a few decades the planet went from "going" into an Ice Age to "going" into a meltdown. I take a grain of salt with ANY climate predictions. Either they were lying to me then or lying to me now or maybe both"

The above from Udacha illustrates the pointlessness of these discussions. While I am happy Udacha graduated from HS, I graduated with a BS in engineering way back before global warming was a football in the culture wars, and his lack of understanding of the scientific method is made clear from the above quote.

Would Udacha board an airliner to fly somewhere? Probably. How do we know it is possible for objects like large heavy Boeing 737s to fly, despite common sense that says large heavy things should drop out of the sky? Scientific method. Same way we know that CO2 and other gases are warming the atmosphere, oceans, and Earth.

Too bad some people are so wedded to their beliefs that they refuse to think. All the people who believe real extra hard in the "hoax" that is global warming will have to think of ways to explain their present positions in 10, 20 etc years.
__________________
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 14:29   #350
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

But what is so funny is that with your BS in engineering you failed to ask the MMGW Cultists why their predictions based on their scripture (models) didnt come to pass. You say the deniers will have to answer for their sins in 20 or 30 yrs time...hey...what about the measurable sins of the MMGW Cultists, when their scripture failed them?

As scientist that has actually measured CO2 for a living...you MMGW Cultists crack me up...great entertainment at parties.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 14:43   #351
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Boat: Pearson 36 cutter
Posts: 46
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Let's talk in ten years. And I doubt you are are a scientist, Third Day.
__________________
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 14:48   #352
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,497
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Paris has just wrapped up with 195 countries signing onto an accord.

Top level details of the accord

Questions for sailorchic and anyone else who professes to be green but is doubtful of AGW:

  1. Please review the elements in the accord. try to ignore any mentions of climate or warming or AGW. Focus simply on the actions in the agreement. which do you like, which do you dislike, and why.
  2. Pretend for a moment that the issue of climate change/AGW doesn't exist, it's not percieved as a looming problem. So this event is just the UN Conference for Reducing Pollution and Maximizing Fossil Fuel Reserves for Future Generations. Same question: how do you feel about the accord now, are the provisions justified for reasons not to do with the climate, do you think they will be effective and appropriate?

Based on that article, it has nothing conceptually that I can would disagree with.

As for "actions in the agreement", based purely on your article I have to say:

1. Temperature increase. The hubris of thinking that they can "hold the increase..." with this piece of paper. They still need to understand the message of Cnut"

2. Preservation of forests. Nothing new here. "Parties are encouraged to take action to implement and support, including through results-based payments, the existing framework ". No new commitments at all.

3. Bearing the cost. Typical politispeak. This binds no one to anything. And what precisely is this "climate finance" they speak of?

4. Transparency. Yep, we are not going to do anything new and have no clearly defined objectives , but we will set up yet another UN body to monitor what we are doing.

5. "Parties aim to reach global peaking of greenhouse gas emissions as soon as possible,..." Yet more politispeak. No binding targets for anyone. i.e. no practical outcome.

6. "Parties recognize the importance of averting, minimizing and addressing loss and damage associated with the adverse effects of climate change,..."
It's taken them 21 COPs to finally come up with this nebulous recognition statement? Again, it's just politispeak with no practical outcome.

And THAT took two weeks and 50,000 people?

It's a toothless piece of paper and the only practical outcome is yet another UN monitoring body.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 14:56   #353
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Scientist with US Patents in pollution control....that's how retired the first time.
You never know what a self described Cruising Bozo has up his sleeve.

Who here has given a presentation at an international air pollution control conference?
Opps....I have....

Back to enjoying the entertainment.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 15:04   #354
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Boat: Pearson 36 cutter
Posts: 46
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Like I said in first post - nobody can convince anyone who is a true believer. Why are you willing to fly on airliners, Third Day?
__________________
BHI_Guy is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 15:15   #355
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,497
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
PARIS AGREEMENT - COP21
The final text of the draft agreement commits countries to keeping global warming "to well below 2 degrees C" and strives to limit it to 1.5 C, with the goal of a carbon-neutral world sometime after 2050.
http://unfccc.int/resource/docs/2015/cop21/eng/l09.pdf
Thanks for that link.

I've now read the full draft agreement and my comments above stand.

Lots of idealism. Zero practical binding agreements to do anything specific.

UNFCCC COP 21 Paris France - 2015 Paris Climate Conference
"In 2015 COP21, also known as the 2015 Paris Climate Conference, will, for the first time in over 20 years of UN negotiations, aim to achieve a legally binding and universal agreement on climate, "

IOW - total fail
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 15:17   #356
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,736
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Now curently I can't read PDF files ( won't open on this tablet) IMO the agreement seems great on the surface. However a question for anyone that can/has read the proposal. Who pays for all the elements and the inspections ( if there are any) to ensure the signors are actually doing what they agreed to do?
__________________
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 15:24   #357
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Why fly on airplanes....easy because the enginering models that say they will not fall out of the sky actually accurately predicts measurable reality. The MMGW Cult models however fail to pass the "testing" phase that is needed to conform an hypothesis. We are talking 8th grade scienticif method methodology here really.

Science doesn't care what you believe...it cares about what you measure and prove by way of predictive models. Predictive is the key to real science. Will the plane fly or will the earth warm as CO2 levels rise? The first we can predict and test, the latter we can't, or have not yet been able to do.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 16:04   #358
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,460
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It was a troll as a thread-starter, it's still one now.

btw, it's never bad to insulate when you can. It makes both heating and cooling more efficient.



We (including you) were never talking about sailing/cruising in this thread. But I agree this particular topic is not useful here. Yet the mods permit it, so...
Do people from Canada normally have fascist tendencies? Perhaps there are some uncomfortable truths being said that make you very upset so you want to stop everyone from talking. I would ask, who indeed is being a troll?

Now please tell me how a discussion about weather and climate has no relevance to sailors. I'm all ears.

No I am not a troll. I have not instigated argument or insult like you have just done. This discussion has been very civil even amongst people that have strongly held views. What is offensive is someone such as yourself trying to shut down civilized discussion and tell adults they can't any longer discuss the weather.

I have a lot more I could say to you but like I have already said, you are the one who is the troll.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 16:22   #359
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,418
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post

It's a toothless piece of paper and the only practical outcome is yet another UN monitoring body.
But they all got to party first class and chow down of Foie Gras at their taxpayer's expense which was most likely their motivating factor in the first place.

__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 16:28   #360
Liveaboard Cruiser
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,311
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
This discussion has been very civil even amongst people that have strongly held views. What is offensive is someone such as yourself trying to shut down civilized discussion and tell adults they can't any longer discuss the weather..
Once you get the concept that the belief in MMGW is a Religion rather than Science you will see how challenging it brings out the radical jihadist in the true believers: Go on personal attacks, Fire professors, sack meteorologist, it is all acceptable in the name of Gia. They even use religious terms such as "Denier" to label the heretics that don't believe. Back when I was in the air pollution control field, I saw these people and were their peers and right away it became obvious to me that it was their belief system driving them, not science, so I got out before I was crucified upside down for the crime of blasphemy.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water Makers
Technautics CoolBlue Refrigeration

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:46.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.