Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 17:58   #331

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Frankly, I'm astounded at the level of research and opinions about AGW or MMGW on this thread! You folks are far and away much smarter, and dedicated to which ever side of the argument you have chosen.
All I can contribute sitting in the first real snowfall we have had for a couple of years(and early in the season!) is that finally there is a good start to the ski season after several years of drought like conditions.
If that is what Global Warming is doing, let's have more of it! Skiing is great!
I already got slashed for looking at weather instead of climate but Frankly, Ma'am I don't give a damn! Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 18:13   #332

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Pity we've wasted so much money into research on CO2 and so little on these other aspects of climate change.
Still waiting for you to quantify all this - exactly how much was 'wasted' on research on CO2, and how 'little' the funding for research into those other aspects was.

It's just an empty assertion, otherwise. Not that this thread has a shortage of those...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 18:18   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
If that is what Global Warming is doing, let's have more of it! Skiing is great!
Just about all of western NY and Ontario have not yet been able to open any ski areas. They haven't even been able to make snow. Good chance that most may not be open by Christmas. Much of the US Northeast are concerned as well.

You win some, you lose some.

(the immediate cause is El Niño, btw. Look to Pacific water temperatures to understand why el Niño is particularly strong this year.)
Old 11-12-2015, 18:27   #334

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

How much electricity is being wasted worldwide and producing that horrible "Carbon Footprint" by all this blather about the BS of this thread?

Come on people, let's worry about real threats.
Quit listening to NPR and get a clue.

This thread is useless and a waste of energy unless you are heating your house with the waste heat (which I am).
Currently, windy and 48 degrees f.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 18:44   #335

Quote:
Take a look at the hundreds of studies which find similar results all over the planet:

CO2 Science
CO2 Science's position statement.

When you've chosen your desired outcome, and only publish findings that support it... you're not doing science.

Check out their funding.
Old 11-12-2015, 18:54   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
This thread is useless and a waste of energy
Not so. Third Day is bored, and we're doing our best to keep him occupied and feeling useful.

This thread would probably end sooner if a certain handful of trolls wouldn't drop in every so often to give the wheel another spin.

Anyway, having the annual CF AGW sh!tshow now means that it will hopefully be canned before Christmas, so that you can spend that time with your families. You're welcome.
Old 11-12-2015, 19:45   #337

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

What has any of this howling to do with SAILING ?

Not a damned thing !

Please close this pathetic bleating about weather with which nobody has any control.

Can we please get back to talking about sailing?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 19:50   #338

Quote:
That's just TSI.

So 10% of climate change from TSI.

How much more from the Svensmark magnetic field strength modulation of cosmic ray influence on cloud nucleation? Even a small change in global cloud cover can have a large effect on global warming/cooling.

How about change in UV which can be several hundred percent and has strong impacts on the atmosphere and ionosphere.

Pity we've wasted so much money into research on CO2 and so little on these other aspects of climate change.
There is no experimental or empirical evidence to support Svensmark's hypothesis.

Do I need to post the research associated it? You will not be pleased.

The CLOUD experiment at CERN does not support Svensmark.
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 19:53   #339

Quote:
Take a look at the hundreds of studies which find similar results all over the planet:

CO2 Science

When you've spent enough hours examining all that science, come back and tell us what you mean by "regional"
The Heartland funded Idso family website misrepresents research on a regular basis. That may explain why they do not link to the original studies.
Old 11-12-2015, 19:55   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Frankly, I'm astounded at the level of research and opinions about AGW or MMGW on this thread! You folks are far and away much smarter, and dedicated to which ever side of the argument you have chosen.
All I can contribute sitting in the first real snowfall we have had for a couple of years(and early in the season!) is that finally there is a good start to the ski season after several years of drought like conditions.
I already got slashed for looking at weather instead of climate but Frankly, Ma'am I don't give a damn! Cheers, Phil
That is El Nino at work, not global warming.
Old 11-12-2015, 20:01   #341
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
CO2 Science's position statement.

When you've chosen your desired outcome, and only publish findings that support it... you're not doing science.
Ditto dear sir. Science is looking at both sides of the coin. I have... Have you.

From the engineering side of co2, I offer the following.

Viewpoint: Does CO2 really drive global warming?

and

Global Warming Unveiled
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 20:10   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Ditto dear sir. Science is looking at both sides of the coin. I have... Have you.

From the engineering side of co2, I offer the following.

Viewpoint: Does CO2 really drive global warming?

and

Global Warming Unveiled
If all you have to offer is 14 year old posts and Dan Pangburn, I have nothing offer you.

Yes, I know who Pangburn is.
Old 11-12-2015, 20:10   #343
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Thought you were describing me first time I read this.
Welcome to the club.

Alas the club meetings never attract participants. Though I suspect a quite a few club members are on boats.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 21:15   #344

So as the OP, I would like to thank everyone for the erudite contribution to scientific thought and argument on this very serious question. Having read all the posts I feel now that I have reached a level of transcendent knowledge on the subject which is propelling me to a penultimate conclusion. The weather will keep on changing and that the climate in one place will be different from another.

So given that fact I would think it wise to have a boat with lots of solar. Perfect for moving from one geographic region to another for optimum weather preference and comfort while having a minimus carbon footprint.

But the question still remains. Should I be preparing for arctic like sailing conditions because of global cooling?

Perhaps I should look at insulating my boat against both hot and cold given the level of ambiguity surrounding future predictions. Now all I have to do is find a highly rated yet thin temperature insulator that keeps outside temperature outside and inside temperature inside.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 12-12-2015, 06:12   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post

But the question still remains. Should I be preparing for arctic like sailing conditions because of global cooling?
No. Global warming continues.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising