Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 09:58   #3046
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I really do enjoy having you and Rich here for entertainment purposes
I can't speak for her...but as for me...that's all I'm trying to do here in this MMGWC thread. But I am somewhat disappointed, I go through all the trouble to dig up on my my favorite photos of myself and no even thanks me...sheesh...some gratitude.
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 10:11   #3047
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I can't speak for her...but as for me...that's all I'm trying to do here in this MMGWC thread. But I am somewhat disappointed, I go through all the trouble to dig up on my my favorite photos of myself and no even thanks me...sheesh...some gratitude.
Ha ha...lol...Now that was funny...good one
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 11:55   #3048
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Global Warming Will Cost Millennials $8.8 Trillion, New Report Says | Weather.com

The Price of Being Young calculates that the Millennial generation will loose $8.8 trillion in lifetime income, or an income reduction of 23%, compared to if there were no global warming.
And there is evidence that the world will loose $100 trillion over the next 20 years as a direct consequence of slowed economies due to AGW la2s and job killing taxes.

The worst hit by AGW hysteria are the poor. As is now being seen in the USA with the gutting of the clean coal industry by AGW zealots, it is the poor that are paying disproportionately higher heating and electricity costs. Directly because of AGW zealot ryoji.

Both Carbon TAXES and higher costs for energy and flow on effects to industry causing higher costs of goods and services are regressive in how they affect the poor and even middle class.

I suppose the AGW don't really care about the poor and the used to be working class. For them it's a great result. Sending the world backwards while increasing the dependant class.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 12:04   #3049
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Me too.

We can also engage in a little bit better resource management now, so that maybe the melt will be a bit slower, and oil will last a bit longer.

Why can't we do both?
Tell China it should cut back on resource consumption. Good luck with that while it is scouring the globe and buying up every rare earth resource company and mining lease it can get its hands on. Oh but that's OK as Western countries get a warm inner glow from being so morally superior as they cut back while a much bigger beast is devouring everything it can.

I have travelled for over a 100 miles from Shanghai inland. One coal powered factory after the other. As far as they can see through the ever present grey mist cloud caused by unrelenting dirty coal. It would be much better for the globe to use USA higher quality clean coal then the dirty stuff China and India are burning.

But getting back to resource management. I think what we are seeing is puritan type moral superiority disguised as sensible science. Nothing sensible or rational at all about AGW.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 12:18   #3050
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Of course I wear my "Ultimate" sailing hat. For the reason that I am actually a cruiser on the cruising forum. So please remember your tin foil hat to keep the aliens from penetrating your mind while in your armchair.
I really do enjoy having you and Rich here for entertainment purposes. Watching the two of you grasp at threads to fortify your stance on CC denial has been amazing. Welcome back
I stooped wearing tin foil hats after I realized the alien implanted chip in my arm was transmitting to the mother ship. Do you know there are a chain of mother ships reaching back to Alpha Centauri Much like stepping stones for our intergalactic visitors. They told me we should take the chain of mother ships concept and build our own chain of space stations.

I feel a new religion coming on. Perhaps I should write a science fiction book as a first step in my new religion.

Getting back to tin foil hats. I'm very surprised you would suggest I use such an energy sapping manufactured material. I took you as a hemp cloth hat type.

Thanks for the welcome back.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 12:27   #3051
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
Are biofuels worse for the planet than gasoline? | The Christian Science Monitor

A study from the University of Michigan Energy Institute (and partially funded by petroleum interests) concludes that corn ethanol and biodiesel biofuels may be more environmentally damaging than petroleum gasoline.
Hello. It was the sceptics and deniers that said this tears ago. Are but the other AGW scientists are a dim witted lot. It takes them a long time to see what is so obvious by clear thinking rationalists.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 13:13   #3052
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,941
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I

I feel a new religion coming on. Perhaps I should write a science fiction book as a first step in my new religion.
Already been done they call it
Scientology
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 13:24   #3053
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Already been done they call it
Scientology
I'd be careful. They may come after you. Funny how they built a whole religion based on pseudo science. A good example of the danger of belief crossing over into science and the absurd results of same. I'd rather be an unbeliever and skeptic and retain my rational mind then loose it to cult mind think of any kind.

Much of what I see in AGW is group think moulding and falsifying data to fit with the group think mindset. Reminds of the Borg. Little AGW scientists biotechnically connected to a central mind and unable to think independently.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 13:40   #3054
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,941
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I'd be careful. They may come after you. Funny how they built a whole religion based on pseudo science. A good example of the danger of belief crossing over into science and the absurd results of same. I'd rather be an unbeliever and skeptic and retain my rational mind then loose it to cult mind think of any kind.

Much of what I see in AGW is group think moulding and falsifying data to fit with the group think mindset. Reminds of the Borg. Little AGW scientists biotechnically connected to a central mind and unable to think independently.
They already are comming after me I get at least one bit of junk from them each week.
You warned me a couple years to late
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 15:36   #3055
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,102
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I've decided to reenter the conversation. I refuse to let one or two AGW communist bullies to silence me. So here is something I found interesting. Oh. It makes a mockery of the oft repeated mantra "scientific consensus".

Before I post about Antarctica. I would like to point out that the famous Berkley Professor who was rehired by Berkley University after publicly becoming a AGW follower admitted his seminal AGW research was based on flawed data. He admitted that 80% to 93% of source temperature data was discarded by the data collectors.

Funny that this scientific hoax hasn't even caused a ripple. But I must have gotten under the skin of a couple of posters here who saw fit to not only attack me here but to follow me to other threads and make snide attacks. Unable to address the issue itself that I raised they sank to the well known socialist/communist agitators handbook. Attack the messenger if you can't attack the message.
Copied directly from the UC Berkeley website. Note there's no mention of 're-hiring'. Clearly, yet again, it appears you are making up stories to support an imagined web of hoax and conspiracy. There is a reason your 'hoax' hasn't caused 'even a ripple', and it's not because there's a concerted effort by MMGW cultists suppressing the facts...

Since I've already listed most of the traits that are being displayed here, I'll leave it to anyone interested enough to go back and check how accurate they are. Seems if I make an observation the only response it elicits is a string of accusational posts calling me (I guess), and unspecified others, names.




Richard Muller (E)
Professor Emeritus





Office: 390 LeConte
ramuller@lbl.gov
Main: (510) 735-6877
Other: (510) 486-7430

Muller's Group
Berkeley Earth


Research Area(s): Astrophysics

Biography

Richard A. Muller received his A. B. degree from Columbia University, and his Ph.D. at Berkeley working under Luis Alvarez. He has been on the faculty at Berkeley since 1978. He is a fellow of the APS and of the AAAS, and his awards include the Texas Instruments Founders Prize, the NSF Alan T. Waterman Award, and a MacArthur Foundation Prize Fellowship.




Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post

Now let's deal with anti religious bigotry by some in science. Science doesn't mean atheism. Many great scientists including Einstein intellectually accepted the existence of a creator.

Attacking a person because they use a quote from the old testament is to sink to a very low level indeed. The quote was in fact very wise. Only those who don't love thinking would attack such a quote.
As for you, or for that matter, anyone else, knowing what Einstein 'intellectually accepted' (whatever that means), maybe it would be better to try and figure out what he meant when he wrote these paragraphs in a letter to Eric Gutkind, in 1954.

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.

In general I find it painful that you claim a privileged position and try to defend it by two walls of pride, an external one as a man and an internal one as a Jew. As a man you claim, so to speak, a dispensation from causality otherwise accepted, as a Jew the privilege of monotheism. But a limited causality is no longer a causality at all, as our wonderful Spinoza recognized with all incision, probably as the first one. And the animistic interpretations of the religions of nature are in principle not annulled by monopolization. With such walls we can only attain a certain self-deception, but our moral efforts are not furthered by them. On the contrary.

Of course, the letter was written in German, and since I don't speak or read German I'm at the mercy of the translators to make an accurate translation, but it seems to me that the second paragraph indicates that he wasn't so sure about the role of a 'creator'. The first paragraph pretty much speaks for itself about what he though about organized religion.

Perhaps this will satisfy your histrionic appetite, at any rate you can heave a sigh of relief (or not), because this will be my last response to any more of your inanities.
__________________
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 18:42   #3056
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,941
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Meanwhile in the Arctic
http://neven1.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f...92f83a0970d-pi
This is an animated picture of what is currently happening to the ice pack with the Arctic storm that is there.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 19:04   #3057
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Meanwhile in the Arctic
http://neven1.typepad.com/.a/6a0133f...92f83a0970d-pi
This is an animated picture of what is currently happening to the ice pack with the Arctic storm that is there.
Thanks. The NWP is open.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 19:18   #3058
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,941
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

According to the Canadian gov. Only the southernmost route thru the archipelago is currently open
Environment and Climate Change Canada - Weather and Meteorology - Full resolution map
The main routes are still ice choked and the cyclone is pushing the ice back into the archipelago . May not be open much longer .
How long has it actually been passable without an ice rated vessel or escort?
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 20:06   #3059
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,040
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
According to the Canadian gov. Only the southernmost route thru the archipelago is currently open
Environment and Climate Change Canada - Weather and Meteorology - Full resolution map
The main routes are still ice choked and the cyclone is pushing the ice back into the archipelago . May not be open much longer .
How long has it actually been passable without an ice rated vessel or escort?
The southern route is the most commonly transited . It is the one being used by Crystal Serenity.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 28-08-2016, 20:22   #3060
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,477
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Copied directly from the UC Berkeley website. Note there's no mention of 're-hiring'. Clearly, yet again, it appears you are making up stories to support an imagined web of hoax and conspiracy. There is a reason your 'hoax' hasn't caused 'even a ripple', and it's not because there's a concerted effort by MMGW cultists suppressing the facts...

Since I've already listed most of the traits that are being displayed here, I'll leave it to anyone interested enough to go back and check how accurate they are. Seems if I make an observation the only response it elicits is a string of accusational posts calling me (I guess), and unspecified others, names.




Richard Muller (E)
Professor Emeritus





Office: 390 LeConte
ramuller@lbl.gov
Main: (510) 735-6877
Other: (510) 486-7430

Muller's Group
Berkeley Earth


Research Area(s): Astrophysics

Biography

Richard A. Muller received his A. B. degree from Columbia University, and his Ph.D. at Berkeley working under Luis Alvarez. He has been on the faculty at Berkeley since 1978. He is a fellow of the APS and of the AAAS, and his awards include the Texas Instruments Founders Prize, the NSF Alan T. Waterman Award, and a MacArthur Foundation Prize Fellowship.






As for you, or for that matter, anyone else, knowing what Einstein 'intellectually accepted' (whatever that means), maybe it would be better to try and figure out what he meant when he wrote these paragraphs in a letter to Eric Gutkind, in 1954.

“The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. These subtilised interpretations are highly manifold according to their nature and have almost nothing to do with the original text. For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups, although they are protected from the worst cancers by a lack of power. Otherwise I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.

In general I find it painful that you claim a privileged position and try to defend it by two walls of pride, an external one as a man and an internal one as a Jew. As a man you claim, so to speak, a dispensation from causality otherwise accepted, as a Jew the privilege of monotheism. But a limited causality is no longer a causality at all, as our wonderful Spinoza recognized with all incision, probably as the first one. And the animistic interpretations of the religions of nature are in principle not annulled by monopolization. With such walls we can only attain a certain self-deception, but our moral efforts are not furthered by them. On the contrary.

Of course, the letter was written in German, and since I don't speak or read German I'm at the mercy of the translators to make an accurate translation, but it seems to me that the second paragraph indicates that he wasn't so sure about the role of a 'creator'. The first paragraph pretty much speaks for itself about what he though about organized religion.

Perhaps this will satisfy your histrionic appetite, at any rate you can heave a sigh of relief (or not), because this will be my last response to any more of your inanities.
First, your professor retired and then rejoined the faculty. Obviously the short bio didn't go into all of his history.

Second, Einstein evolved on the question of an all powerful creator deity. So has Hawkins.

non stop copy and pasting is for low effort trolls.
__________________

__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 20:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 20:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 06:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 08:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 09:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.