Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2015, 08:12   #286
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Switzerland
Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Posts: 1,235
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I am a scientist, (not a climate scientist), I am a biological oceanographer. One of those people who study the effects of a changing environment on its biological inhabitants. I am actually retired, but most of these changes are slow so it has not changed much in the last 3 years. That said changes are occuring that are disturbing. a major change is generally anything that alters salinity. Oceanic organisms, particularly microscopic ones are very intolerant to change. I don't know if you are familiar with the food pyramid but if it collapses those of us at the apex have a long way to fall. And, like it or not we are totally at the mercy of those on the bottom of the pyramid! Climate change can kill ya! Melting glaciers can change salinity, destroying the little critters at the base, BAD!
Humans are very adaptable. The proof is all around us. So whereas I believe that bad things kan indeed happen, we are very good at dealing with bad things....
__________________

__________________
K_V_B is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 08:17   #287
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Anacortes
Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Posts: 1,733
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Humans are very adaptable. The proof is all around us. So whereas I believe that bad things kan indeed happen, we are very good at dealing with bad things....
The species may be somewhat adaptable but individuals (like your grandchildren) may not be. If the food chain dries up there won't be any way to support the billions of people now on the planet. That may be a good thing.
__________________

__________________
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 08:47   #288
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,425
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Humans are very adaptable. The proof is all around us. So whereas I believe that bad things kan indeed happen, we are very good at dealing with bad things....
IMO humans are not very adaptable they are rather very good at adaptation of their local environment to suit their needs and wants without considering the eventual conciquences of those adaptations.
__________________
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 09:27   #289
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,924
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Based on that alone, I would expect the "info" component of their infotainment to have been somewhat more informative.
That film is apparently a student project from the Mason Gross School of the Arts (Rutgers), so I don't think there was any NSF funding spent on it, other than feeding the kids onsite...

Honestly... I haven't seen it, but I'm guessing the film is mostly reality-tv/science-porn, where they're more interested in pretty shots and day-to-day drama than genuine scientific exposition/documentary. All broadcast channels including nature ones are struggling to find or make enough content to fill the day without endless reruns.

You guys need to stop hating on science and scientists, and hate harder on the media.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 10:58   #290
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,392
Images: 240
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That film is apparently a student project from the Mason Gross School of the Arts (Rutgers), so I don't think there was any NSF funding spent on it, other than feeding the kids onsite...
“ Antarctica: Beyond the Ice”, a documentary film produced by the Rutgers Film Bureau at the Rutgers Center for Digital Filmmaking, funded in part by the National Science Foundation (NSF), partners the film bureau with the Rutgers Institute for Marine and Coastal Sciences.
Antarctic science documentary is also a teaching tool for aspiring film students
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 15:05   #291
Registered User
 
0urh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Great Sandy Straits, Queensland, Australia
Boat: Easy Cat, 10.5m
Posts: 103
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
I did form an opinion. A bunch of gas guzzling research grant fuelled climate scientists enjoyed a jolly good time in the Antarctic whilst adding sfa to the pool of knowledge.
Yeah, and what about the 40,000 (yes, 40 thousand) at the Paris Climate Conference thing. Did they all offset the carbon emissions getting and being there!! I don't think so! So good of them to save the planet for us
__________________
0urh is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 15:25   #292
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,392
Images: 240
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0urh View Post
Yeah, and what about the 40,000 (yes, 40 thousand) at the Paris Climate Conference thing. Did they all offset the carbon emissions getting and being there!! I don't think so! So good of them to save the planet for us
I disagree.

However large Paris' carbon footprint is, it will presumably be dwarfed by the reduction in carbon emissions that the leaders hope to sign.

In fact, all the travel for all the people to and from Paris equals about 22 seconds of global CO2 emissions (some of which would have occurred in any case - scheduled flights, seat filled or not). Add in two weeks of hotels, taxis, espressos, pastries, and wine toasts, and you can probably tack on another half second or so.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 16:03   #293
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,735
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I think we ought to have a little levity thrown in here.

Climate Depot | A project of CFACT
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 17:45   #294
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,924
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I think we ought to have a little levity thrown in here.
Agreed. Let's lighten the mood a little.

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 19:47   #295
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I disagree.

However large Paris' carbon footprint is, it will presumably be dwarfed by the reduction in carbon emissions that the leaders hope to sign.

In fact, all the travel for all the people to and from Paris equals about 22 seconds of global CO2 emissions (some of which would have occurred in any case - scheduled flights, seat filled or not). Add in two weeks of hotels, taxis, espressos, pastries, and wine toasts, and you can probably tack on another half second or so.
Noted
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 20:06   #296
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,121
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

They have a booth at the conference to pay to offset the carbon emmisions for the attendees. About a dollar US.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 20:28   #297
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,735
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Two quotes to remember:


"We must remember, with compassion, that fully half the people in this world are below average."

And,

“Don't confuse me with facts. I have already made up my mind.”
__________________
Memento,homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 21:42   #298
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,951
Images: 10
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
SNIP

Nasa is now saying that the sun might have just a bit more to do with climate change then first though. We will know more in a few years when a few more solar probes are launched. Exciting times.

SNIP
Something a lot of old school solar scientists have been saying for quite some time. Of interest is research in Japan (think it is called the land of the rising sun or something like that) has indicated there is a lot more oxygen on the sun that there is suppose to be. Unless you understand why measured oxygen on the sun differing from predicted oxygen on the sun is significant you really need to get up to speed on this.

Here is a clue. H,He,C,N,O

It explains how that big yellow thing in the sky produces energy and how the amount of energy produced varies. Since the energy from that big yellow thing accounts almost all the energy that warms the earth understanding how it varies may help explain how temperature on the earth varies.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply
Old 10-12-2015, 23:56   #299
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,815
Images: 2
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Something a lot of old school solar scientists have been saying for quite some time. Of interest is research in Japan (think it is called the land of the rising sun or something like that) has indicated there is a lot more oxygen on the sun that there is suppose to be. Unless you understand why measured oxygen on the sun differing from predicted oxygen on the sun is significant you really need to get up to speed on this.

Here is a clue. H,He,C,N,O

It explains how that big yellow thing in the sky produces energy and how the amount of energy produced varies. Since the energy from that big yellow thing accounts almost all the energy that warms the earth understanding how it varies may help explain how temperature on the earth varies.
It's measured only from the outer layer of the convection zone. We can assume convection zone to be quite uniform in this regard but we can only theorize if this is the case in the radiative zone and even less in the core of the sun. So far we have a long wait before the sun turns into a nova and starts to produce oxygen in significant amounts. Anyway the original gas cloud which the solar system was formed from must have had some heavier elements, if not we wouldn't be here.
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12   #300
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post

It explains how that big yellow thing in the sky produces energy and how the amount of energy produced varies. Since the energy from that big yellow thing accounts almost all the energy that warms the earth understanding how it varies may help explain how temperature on the earth varies.
Solar variability is about 0.1% - which explains about 10% of climate change.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.