Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 17:17   #2881
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,697
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
It's been amazing to me on this thread how the GW believers (non-scientist) argue and belittle actual scientist (non-believers)
I see a lot of graphs here supporting GW, but they only show the last 150 years, which is not even a blink. Here is one that goes back a bit further. The the little red part is the famous Hockey Stick, as you can see it is quite meaningless. If you actualy dig a little deeper and go back millions of years you will find that high co2 is a RESULT of warming not the cause.

Doesn't count because that's a regional record.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
If you really want to get to the truth ----- Follow the MONEY

Here is a great video of scientist and professors explaining that if you don't follow the GW ideals you won't get funding

Does this mean unemployed dissenters don't get their papers peer reviewed and published in respected journals like Nature?



Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 17:47   #2882
Registered User
 
Udacha's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Boat: Looking
Posts: 74
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Doesn't count because that's a regional record.







Does this mean unemployed dissenters don't get their papers peer reviewed and published in respected journals like Nature?



Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

It is what it is

If you want to have a look at Earths past, you look at ice cores. If you want U.S. Government Funds and Grants, you tow the GW line
__________________

__________________
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 18:10   #2883
Registered User
 
Udacha's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Boat: Looking
Posts: 74
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Oh, by the way,, The ice cores would seem to indicate GM if you only look back 150 years, go back further and it does the opposite.

The same scientist that Al Gore uses in " an inconvenient truth" are the same scientist in the video
__________________
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 18:26   #2884
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Oh, by the way,, The ice cores would seem to indicate GM if you only look back 150 years, go back further and it does the opposite.

The same scientist that Al Gore uses in " an inconvenient truth" are the same scientist in the video
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 18:27   #2885
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
It is what it is
If you want to have a look at Earths past, you look at ice cores. If you want U.S. Government Funds and Grants, you tow the GW line
What's ironic is that the it's all the rage to hate Big Oil, Big Coal, and Big Energy....but Big Government is your Friend and can Save us? Sorry folks, I fear Big Government far more than I fear Big Oil. Big Oil can't prosecute me if I disagree with them. Big Coal can't use the IRS as a political weapon if I disagree with them...but Big Government has he power to Tax, which is the power to Destroy.
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 18:32   #2886
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,697
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Oh, by the way,, The ice cores would seem to indicate GM if you only look back 150 years, go back further and it does the opposite.

The same scientist that Al Gore uses in " an inconvenient truth" are the same scientist in the video
I'm not an alarmist in any way, shape or form but to be fair that chart stops at 1950. And we've all had it drilled into us how temps are still heading north.

However, it is constantly bandied around that it is the rate of change that is significant. Usually accompanied by words such as "unprecedented" and the like. As your linked chart demonstrates, this isn't even close to being the case.

And herein lies the problem. One of exaggeration; because bad news sells and selling news is big business. This is why we get such things as Michael Mann saying 90% of the great barrier reef is bleached and dieing, papers clutching at straws to explain recalcitrant Antarctic ice and Nasa describing sea level rise as a modern event. Multiply that by the Nth degree and we get one heck of a scare campaign rolling.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 18:43   #2887
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
And herein lies the problem. One of exaggeration; because bad news sells and selling news is big business. This is why we get such things as Michael Mann saying 90% of the great barrier reef is bleached and dieing, papers clutching at straws to explain recalcitrant Antarctic ice and Nasa describing sea level rise as a modern event. Multiply that by the Nth degree and we get one heck of a scare campaign rolling.
BINGO....

Add to that the Ethos of the "I'm better than you because I care" movement along with the need to be a part of something larger than yourself and you have the perfect storm that leads to the now famously debated Man Made Global Warming Cult (MMGWC). How did Jim Jones get 900 people to drink the Koolaid and Die...easy...not all of them knew that they were in a Cult...that's just it, those in a Cult don't realize they are. So that's where I come in. I'm happy to be that glass of ice water in the face to get people to wake up...

__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 18:57   #2888
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,697
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
BINGO....

Add to that the Ethos of the "I'm better than you because I care" movement along with the need to be a part of something larger than yourself and you have the perfect storm that leads to the now famously debated Man Made Global Warming Cult (MMGWC). How did Jim Jones get 900 people to drink the Koolaid and Die...easy...not all of them knew that they were in a Cult...that's just it, those in a Cult don't realize they are. So that's where I come in. I'm happy to be that glass of ice water in the face to get people to wake up...

And the irony is that it is advertising promoting consumerism that finances the soap box platform that many of these scare campaigners use to broadcast their messages of doom and gloom. The same doom and gloom resulting from emissions caused in good part by modern consumerism.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 20:04   #2889
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,981
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Being an online moderator is a thankless job, I'm one for several other sites and it's a true dammed if you do/damned if you don't. So thanks for keeping us Children from playing with matches in the middle of the street.
Uh...Rich...hate to break the news to you and I'll put it as delicate as I can...you're one of those children...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
It's a shame that some who destroyed another thread came over to this thread to cause havic. The back and for the of discussion on this topic was healthy and even entertaining. Then came the trolls.
Ummm...same 7 people for the last six months. I guess it's just another form of denial.
I know you're the OP, even though you seem to have 2 entities here, but you have served up your fair share of negativity, blaming and name calling. Maybe it is time for this thread to end.
Even though Rich and yourself seem to think I'm with "the enemy", I have to play neutral on the topic. I'm not versed enough to know one way or another. So I err on the side of common sense and the case of "just in case". So I do my bit to try and make the planet safer for my ungrateful children. I have a conscience and need to sleep at night...good day madam.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 20:11   #2890
Registered User
 
Udacha's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Arizona
Boat: Looking
Posts: 74
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Another interesting tidbit is about CO2. We hear a lot about CO2 this in CO2 that. CO2 otherwise known as carbon dioxide is a non toxic gas that humans and animals expel while breathing and is considered a greenhouse gas. The stuff that comes out of your exhaust pipe in your automobile is NOT CO2, it is CO otherwise known as carbon monoxide and is a toxic gas but is not much of a greenhouse gas. Greenhouse gases are actually a good thing, there would be no life on this planet without it
__________________
Udacha is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 20:44   #2891
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Uh...Rich...hate to break the news to you and I'll put it as delicate as I can...you're one of those children....
I hate to play English teacher with you, but the use of the objective pronoun "US" is generally accepted to include the person using the phrase....

Oh and if you are telling us that we need to limit our CO2 emissions just so you can sleep better at night, might I suggest an easier way that doesn't suck the rest of us into your emotional needs. Warm hormone free, free range milk with a splash of Rum. It's good for falling to sleep without the Trillion Dollar cost to the Economy and hurting the poor disproportionately.
__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 21:16   #2892
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,981
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hate to play English teacher with you, but the use of the objective pronoun "US" is generally accepted to include the person using the phrase....

Oh and if you are telling us that we need to limit our CO2 emissions just so you can sleep better at night, might I suggest an easier way that doesn't suck the rest of us into your emotional needs. Warm hormone free, free range milk with a splash of Rum. It's good for falling to sleep without the Trillion Dollar cost to the Economy and hurting the poor disproportionately.
Well Rich...I hate to give you a reading lesson, but I didn't say "us" or we. I said for myself but its a good thing you're not argumentative, right?
I totally invite you to do or not to do what ever you want. I'm sure no one has ever stopped you in the past.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 20-08-2016, 22:40   #2893
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,069
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I totally invite you to do or not to do what ever you want. I'm sure no one has ever stopped you in the past.
Er... he is married you know... I think otherwise...
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 02:45   #2894
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 584
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
Another interesting tidbit is about CO2. We hear a lot about CO2 this in CO2 that. CO2 otherwise known as carbon dioxide is a non toxic gas that humans and animals expel while breathing and is considered a greenhouse gas. The stuff that comes out of your exhaust pipe in your automobile is NOT CO2, it is CO otherwise known as carbon monoxide and is a toxic gas but is not much of a greenhouse gas. Greenhouse gases are actually a good thing, there would be no life on this planet without it
Your need to review your facts.

Quote:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency estimates of average passenger car emissions in the United States for April 2000

Component --- Emission Rate --- Annual pollution emitted

Hydrocarbons --- 2.80 grams/mile (1.75 g/km) --- 77.1 pounds (35.0 kg)
Carbon monoxide --- 20.9 grams/mile (13.06 g/km) --- 575 pounds (261 kg)
NOx --- 1.39 grams/mile (0.87 g/km) --- 38.2 pounds (17.3 kg)
Carbon dioxide - greenhouse gas --- 0.916 pounds per mile (258 g/km) --- 11,450 pounds (5,190 kg)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas
__________________
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 21-08-2016, 02:52   #2895
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 584
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
... If you actualy dig a little deeper and go back millions of years you will find that high co2 is a RESULT of warming not the cause.
CO2 lags temperature - what does it mean?
Quote:
[...]To claim that the CO2 lag disproves the warming effect of CO2 displays a lack of understanding of the processes that drive Milankovitch cycles. A review of the peer reviewed research into past periods of deglaciation tells us several things:
  • Deglaciation is not initiated by CO2 but by orbital cycles
  • CO2 amplifies the warming which cannot be explained by orbital cycles alone
  • CO2 spreads warming throughout the planet
Overall, more than 90% of the glacial-interglacial warming occurs after the atmospheric CO2 increase (Figure 3).

Figure 3: The global proxy temperature stack (blue) as deviations from the early Holocene (11.5–6.5 kyr ago) mean, an Antarctic ice-core composite temperature record (red), and atmospheric CO2 concentration (yellow dots). The Holocene, Younger Dryas (YD), Bølling–Allerød (B–A), Oldest Dryas (OD) and Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) intervals are indicated. Error bars, 1-sigma; p.p.m.v. = parts per million by volume. Shakun et al. Figure 2a.
__________________

__________________
SailOar is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:30.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.