Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 16:05   #256
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,991
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

So both nothern and southern ice is in a growing trend, and has been for 3-5 years. This is counter to the AGW models which show continuing ice loss. How does that happen....


https://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

As the ice grows Albedo increases and less sunlight reaches the earth. No one is talking about sailing the northwest passage now.
Really?

Northwest Passage - 2015

Northwest Passage yacht race promises high adventure (and high costs) - North - CBC News



Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

Nasa is now saying that the sun might have just a bit more to do with climate change then first though. We will know more in a few years when a few more solar probes are launched. Exciting times.
Really? - show me



Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

No question that the earth is warmer now then in the last 400 years. But it is not as warm as ~2000 years ago. Yes Co2 concentration has increased by 0.01% in the last 150 years. Some of that increase is due to deforestation and corresponding loss of carbon sinks.
CO2 has increased 40% and using carbon isotopes that increase can be traced directly to the burning of fossil fuels.
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 16:09   #257
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,991
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ahh....but as we have seen in the recent Scandal
Sceptics for sale - will fake peer-review as a bonus

Quote:
"Leading climate-sceptic academic, Professor William Happer, agreed to write a report for a Middle Eastern oil company on the benefits of CO2 and to allow the firm to keep the source of the funding secret. Happer is due to appear this afternoon as a star witness in Senate hearings called by Republican Presidential candidate Ted Cruz.

In emails to reporters he also revealed Peabody Energy paid thousands of dollars for him to testify at a separate state hearing, with the money being paid to a climate-sceptic think tank."
Read the emails, uneditted and in context here:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ors-Trust.html
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 16:29   #258
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,519
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The world's population is accelerating out of control;
Next thing you know we'll probably hear the left saying ISIS is "green" by trying to help out with that.
__________________
Seen on Facebook:

"The Flat Earth Society Has Members Around the globe"

senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 16:41   #259
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,991
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
The world's population is accelerating out of control;
Nope.

Globally, the growth rate of the human population has been declining since peaking in 1962 and 1963 at 2.2% per annum. In 2009, the estimated annual growth rate was 1.1%.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 17:06   #260
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,698
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Nope.

Globally, the growth rate of the human population has been declining since peaking in 1962 and 1963 at 2.2% per annum. In 2009, the estimated annual growth rate was 1.1%.
Yes of course. 1.1% of 7.5 billion is less than 2.2% of 3 billion. Not.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 17:35   #261
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,621
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
CO2 has increased 40% and using carbon isotopes that increase can be traced directly to the burning of fossil fuels.
LOL, It looks bigger when you say it that way. Actually it's mans contribution to co2 that rose 40%. But that's still just 5% of total co2 concentration today, up from about 3.5% 60 years ago.. Co2 rose from 0.031% of total atmospheric gases in 1950 to 0.0398% this year. A rise of 0.0088% over ~60 years.

But 40% rise sells more paper.

For the population thingy. in 1950 we had ~2.5 billion folks on the planet. Today it's 7.2 billion or a 288% increase (see I can use big numbers too). We have a infestation here. Too many people, breathing out co2.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 19:08   #262
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,787
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foozinator View Post
It's a good thing that US law makers are trying so hard to get to the truth.

Senate Science Committee hearing challenges "dogma"Ě of climate science | Ars Technica
Didn't bother to go any further than the sub head. That told me all I needed to know about how objective the article would be:

"Usual suspects accept Sen. Cruzís invitation to declare the science unsettled."

__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 19:17   #263
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,991
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
LOL, It looks bigger when you say it that way. Actually it's mans contribution to co2 that rose 40%. But that's still just 5% of total co2 concentration today, up from about 3.5% 60 years ago.. Co2 rose from 0.031% of total atmospheric gases in 1950 to 0.0398% this year. A rise of 0.0088% over ~60 years.

But 40% rise sells more paper.

For the population thingy. in 1950 we had ~2.5 billion folks on the planet. Today it's 7.2 billion or a 288% increase (see I can use big numbers too). We have a infestation here. Too many people, breathing out co2.
I would suggest your are trying to minimize a serious threat to human survival.

Human expiration has nothing to do with increased CO2 levels.

I recommend reading It's Our Fault | James Lawrence Powell to get a handle in carbon isotope analysis.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 19:19   #264
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,991
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Didn't bother to go any further than the sub head. That told me all I needed to know about how objective the article would be:

"Usual suspects accept Sen. Cruzís invitation to declare the science unsettled."

One of the suspects is a skeptic for hire

Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooling

Another was a high school dropout.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 19:44   #265
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,736
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
LOL, It looks bigger when you say it that way. Actually it's mans contribution to co2 that rose 40%. But that's still just 5% of total co2 concentration today, up from about 3.5% 60 years ago.. Co2 rose from 0.031% of total atmospheric gases in 1950 to 0.0398% this year. A rise of 0.0088% over ~60 years.

0.0398% / 0.031% = 1.28... an increase of 28% of the TOTAL CO2 concentration, in just 60 years.

This page zooms in a bit, and their graph shows a fairly steady slope, so if we look from 1965 (320ppm) to 2005 (380 ppm), you get an increase of 380/320 = 1.1875 ... an increase of ~ 19% in 40 years

Since we all know AGW is a crock we won't do anything credible to seriously reduce CO2 output, but if some miracle we hold the slope of this line constant... by 2055 we'll have at least .0398% * 1.1875 = 0.0473% CO2. A CO2 concentration that's over 50% higher than 1950, in a period of less than 100 years.

Mmmmm. Toasty.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 21:01   #266
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I am astounded that there is any question that human activities are having a dramatic affect on our planet. You can't burn millions of years of stored carbon, cut down millions of trees and not expect big changes. Did no one notice the historic drought on the west coast of the US that has nearly doubled the price of some foods here?? Or the historic cyclone seasons recently in the Pacific including the strongest cyclone ever recorded to make landfall in Central America. The very significant El Nino that is occurring right now. The rise in ocean acidity. You can debate how much effect we are having or how soon potentially catastrophic changes(some would argue many already) will occur but there is no doubt that we are having an intense effect on our atmosphere, the associated weather patterns and our oceans. Only a fool would think otherwise.
__________________
CaptChris376 is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 21:20   #267
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Remove 100% of the CO2 the USA releases annually and what happens...ha ha nothing, that's what....time to find a new scam....game over.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 21:30   #268
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 4,991
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Remove 100% of the CO2 the USA releases annually and what happens...ha ha nothing, that's what....time to find a new scam....game over.
Global warming requires global cooperation. Just like the Clean Air Acts and the Montreal Protocol.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is online now   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 21:46   #269
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Global warming requires global cooperation. Just like the Clean Air Acts and the Montreal Protocol.
Ha ha...let me know how that global corporation dream works out for ya....

Let me translate TAXES....bingo....follow the money.
__________________
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 09-12-2015, 23:05   #270
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,621
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Human expiration has nothing to do with increased CO2 levels.
Hold that thought.

Human expiration accounts for ~5 percent of the total human co2 emissions. Figure roughly 1 pound of co2 per person per day. Could be as high as 0.9kg per day, but I'll take the conservative estimate.

It's not much per breath, but add 7200 breaths per day x 7 billion happy people x 365 days and you get 1.27 billion tons (short tons) of co2 per year just from human breath. That leaves me breathless.

Back in 1950 when there were only 2.5 billion folks, it was only 456 million tons per year. That's a 548% increase just since 1950.

Put another way 7 billion people emit as much co2 as 500 million cars. Maybe we need a catalytic converter for people... Or train everyone to breath only half as much.

On the plus side, plankton and well all our veggy friends, those of the plant persuasion, love the higher co2 concentrations. Plants grow a tad faster with the higher co2 levels.

So getting the world population down to 1980 levels would do lots to reduce co2 emissions.
__________________

__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.