Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2016, 17:02   #2566

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

You're confusing diet with excess. Excess caused by plentiful food supply thanks in part to the gloriously productive warm and luscious climate of today.

Oh, by the way... If you've eaten any red dyed foodstuffs recently there is a good chance you've eaten products harvested from insect body parts. Speaking of insects, I could also mention honey - aka bee vomit, too, but that's a no brainer.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 18:46   #2567

Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You're confusing diet with excess. Excess caused by plentiful food supply thanks in part to the gloriously productive warm and luscious climate of today.
What - you think we're all naturally choosing and eating exactly the right diet, just too much of it? Alot of people have worked long and hard to make you and I crave and pay big bucks for empty calories we don't need.

"gloriously productive" - is that the new term for monocultures, overfishing, soil exhaustion, deforestation?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 20:09   #2568

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Don't worry. We can all revert back to paleo diets once you alarmists succeed in sending us all back to the stone age. In the meantime enjoy your burger and fries.

And yes. Gloriously productive is correct. If the planet wasn't, we'd be more overfished etc which is a non related issue to climate change anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 21:07   #2569

Sounds good. Of course, when you burn the fuel...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 21:34   #2570

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Sounds good. Of course, when you burn the fuel...
Glad you're paying attention. Of course, the point is that the carbon is coming directly out of the atmosphere, so the net effect is (should be assumed to be?) zero.

The real issue, brought up after Lake Effect first posted this as a 'technological bandaid', is that more than likely the collateral effects will be at least as detrimental. Almost certainly, any proposed 'technological only' solutions should be subjected to a most stringent 'William of Occam' test before they're even considered...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 22:09   #2571

I read in the New York Times that researchers now conclude that Mexican northern migration is being caused by AGW.

Trump just announced a policy of Carrier air-conditioners for Mexico. By keeping the newly made Carrier air-conditioners in Mexico they can install them accross the country to lower the warming from AGW.

Cooler climate from air-conditioners = less Mexican northern migration.

You see, science can solve everything.

Now all I need know is, are we moving into a Global cooling period that would necessitate me buying thermals and insulating my boat or should I be preparing to sail further south as the tropics latitude line moves, due to AGW?

After all these posts I can't get a simple answer. What prey tell is so complicated?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 05-08-2016, 22:51   #2572
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
I read in the New York Times that researchers now conclude that Mexican northern migration is being caused by AGW.

Trump just announced a policy of Carrier air-conditioners for Mexico. By keeping the newly made Carrier air-conditioners in Mexico they can install them accross the country to lower the warming from AGW.

Cooler climate from air-conditioners = less Mexican northern migration.

You see, science can solve everything.

Now all I need know is, are we moving into a Global cooling period that would necessitate me buying thermals and insulating my boat or should I be preparing to sail further south as the tropics latitude line moves, due to AGW?

After all these posts I can't get a simple answer. What prey tell is so complicated?
I answered you somewhere in the first few pages of what has become a real debalicle buy polypropylene underwear and go sailing if you need them you have them if you don't need them well they don't take up much room. As far as insulating the boat well that helps with comfort level weather its hot or cold outside. So yes insulate the boat.
Old 05-08-2016, 23:02   #2573

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I answered you somewhere in the first few pages of what has become a real debalicle buy polypropylene underwear and go sailing if you need them you have them if you don't need them well they don't take up much room. As far as insulating the boat well that helps with comfort level weather its hot or cold outside. So yes insulate the boat.
Thanks Newhaul. Best advise in this whole thread. All I wanted to know is what preparations I should be making.

I don't now how but somewhere in this thread people started talking about Pope's and Galileo. All I wanted to know is what I should be preparing for. And great advise on the insulation.

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2016, 23:38   #2574

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
...After all these posts I can't get a simple answer. What prey tell is so complicated?
It is not

Old 06-08-2016, 04:20   #2575

We need lots more power lines. Why are we so bad at planning them? | VOX
Quote:
One of the fastest and easiest ways to boost renewable energy is to improve and expand electricity transmission, i.e., power lines. Smart transmission, in addition to its many other benefits, reduces both the engineering challenges and the cost of integrating renewables...
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 04:22   #2576

Turnbull government orders CSIRO U-turn towards climate science | Sydney Morning Herald
Quote:
New Science Minister Greg Hunt has ordered a major U-turn in the direction of the CSIRO, reviving climate research as a bedrock function just months after the national science agency slashed climate staff and programs...
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 08:12   #2577

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOar View Post
We need lots more power lines. Why are we so bad at planning them? | VOX

Quote:
One of the fastest and easiest ways to boost renewable energy is to improve and expand electricity transmission, i.e., power lines. Smart transmission, in addition to its many other benefits, reduces both the engineering challenges and the cost of integrating renewables...
Transmission lines are like highways. When a highway is used beyond its capacity, there are two options: build more/bigger highways, or try to manage the demand (tolls, carpooling, public transport options, urban planning) Similarly, you can manage the load on the electrical distribution grid by time-of-use surcharges, and reducing peak demands (there are a number of interesting technical tricks one can do here WITHOUT causing any hardships to users). The improvements in efficiency (appliances, heating/cooling, lighting) also reduce demand.

Big generating stations of course come with big distribution networks, so these will inevitably be built along with the new plants. But if significant power storage technology is developed and sited near the areas of use, there would be a big reduction in the peak capacity required from the grid, as well as more efficient use of power from intermittent generators like solar and wind.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 09:01   #2578
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
, you can manage the load on the electrical distribution grid by time-of-use surcharges, and reducing peak demands (there are a number of interesting technical tricks one can do here WITHOUT causing any hardships to users). The improvements in efficiency (appliances, heating/cooling, lighting) also reduce demand.
Time of use surcharges and no hardship to users that really is funny .
Just ask senior citizens and the disabled that are on fixed incomes about that one.
Old 06-08-2016, 14:35   #2579

Malcolm was always one to blow with the wind. Must be some trade or money pressure being applied by a friendly Government I would think. The Washington puppet masters have very long strings. But all that said, Malcolm isn't a bad guy. Smart enough to no how to play the game.
Old 06-08-2016, 14:41   #2580

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
I noticed the brainwashing insertion about immigration. These propagandists are good.
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising