Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 11:15   #2536
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,990
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Couldn't be better...but see folks, this is how the Left Really thinks.
They can't defend the crazy...so they divert the topic..ha ha ha..nice try.
You shouldn't have meat because WE DECIDE that it is bad for you, hurting the planet and WE as the MMGW Cultists have the right to lord over you and play your mother...ha ha ha...thanks for the illustrative example. Now head over to Estadios, Taco Fish, or Gina Burgers and have some meat.
...and this changes the reality of clogged arteries?...got it.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 11:20   #2537
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Morro Bay, CA
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,353
Send a message via Skype™ to SV THIRD DAY
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...and this changes the reality of clogged arteries?...got it.
Actually clogged arteries are a good thing for the left...it's the only way the Ponzi Scheme of Social Security will remain solvent...

[[A note for those in class, bringing up other sacred cows (sorry for the meat pun) of the Left while making a point about something else is a classic bait tactic...now if I can work in a comment about the Black Lies Murder movement...that is called a triple Double]]
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Living Aboard in Morro Bay, CA and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 11:58   #2538
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41
Posts: 100
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Ok, I wasn't going to reply to the posts in this forum but then I saw this post from earlier and figured I'd add my 2 cents.


Quote:
The 10 most startling facts about climate in 2015 — the warmest year on record | Washington Post
Quote:
Last year was unequivocally the warmest year on record for Earth. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Tuesday released a 300-page report documenting the historic warmth as well as scores of other aspects of 2015’s climate.

The hefty report, State of the Climate in 2015, was produced by more than 450 scientists from 62 countries around the world — more than any previous edition...

1. The global temperature was the highest on record...

2. The average ocean surface temperature was warmest on record...

3. Upper ocean heat content was highest on record...

4. Global sea level was highest on record...

5. The El Niño event was among the strongest on record...

6. Greenhouse gases were highest on record...

7. Record number of major tropical cyclones in Northern Hemisphere...

8. Arctic sea ice had its lowest maximum extent...

9. Glaciers continued shrinking...

10. Extreme temperatures were most extreme on record...

UNQuote.



It seems to me that when one group wants to extort money from another group they need 2 things. One a cause they can tax you on, and two, statistics to prove their case.

"More scientist than ever", you mean not all scientist agree on the above information?....

What???????

So when there are people who have a financial interest in having something be someones fault ( The "we can tax them if we can prove it" gang ), we need to look closely at the numbers they produce. The above numbers might not tell the whole story of just who the 450 ( out of literally thousands ) scientist are or if they are being entirely truthful.

I would probably go with the group that is not directly getting paid by folks who will make money if they can get everyone to go along with the Global Warming movement.

Such as these guys...

Quote from WSJ.
Of the various petitions on global warming circulated for signatures by scientists, the one by the Petition Project, a group of physicists and physical chemists based in La Jolla, Calif., has by far the most signatures—more than 31,000 (more than 9,000 with a Ph.D.). It was most recently published in 2009, and most signers were added or reaffirmed since 2007. The petition states that "there is no convincing scientific evidence that human release of . . . carbon dioxide, methane, or other greenhouse gases is causing or will, in the foreseeable future, cause catastrophic heating of the Earth's atmosphere and disruption of the Earth's climate."


Personally, I'm hoping that humans actually can put out enough greenhouse gases to offset the 10,000 year cycle of cooling we are now in.

But there is no money in that, so that idea won't get much traction.



Meanwhile the weather is BEAUTIFUL today ( great day for sailing ), tomorrow the weather will probably change ( will probably STILL be a great day for sailing ), and that is all I truly know.
__________________
Thorne is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 12:04   #2539
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,990
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Actually clogged arteries are a good thing for the left...it's the only way the Ponzi Scheme of Social Security will remain solvent...

[[A note for those in class, bringing up other sacred cows (sorry for the meat pun) of the Left while making a point about something else is a classic bait tactic...now if I can work in a comment about the Black Lies Murder movement...that is called a triple Double]]
Astounding...you certainly don't mind showing your true colors do you.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 16:09   #2540
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
Ok, I wasn't going to reply to the posts in this forum but then I saw this post from earlier and figured I'd add my 2 cents.
I don't get it? Why of all posts did this trigger your urge to respond? Especially this one from SailOar merely stated measured data compared with historical data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
Quote:
...
1. The global temperature was the highest on record...

2. The average ocean surface temperature was warmest on record...

3. Upper ocean heat content was highest on record...

4. Global sea level was highest on record...

5. The El Niño event was among the strongest on record...

6. Greenhouse gases were highest on record...

7. Record number of major tropical cyclones in Northern Hemisphere...

8. Arctic sea ice had its lowest maximum extent...

9. Glaciers continued shrinking...

10. Extreme temperatures were most extreme on record...
It seems to me that when one group wants to extort money from another group they need 2 things. One a cause they can tax you on, and two, statistics to prove their case.
I do not see any indication of either in SailOars post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
"More scientist than ever", you mean not all scientist agree on the above information?....
Please do yourself a favour and leave science and scientists out of this debate. This is an emotional, highly politicised subject. The science is clear, face it:

CLIMATE IS CHANGING! As a matter of fact, it is changing since this planet got its atmosphere. Even a blind man with a hearing aid can see that. (No offence to blind men with hearing aids intended)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
What???????

So when there are people who have a financial interest in having something be someones fault ( The "we can tax them if we can prove it" gang ), we need to look closely at the numbers they produce. The above numbers might not tell the whole story of just who the 450 ( out of literally thousands ) scientist are or if they are being entirely truthful.
And your point is what?

You obviously don't not understand how science works. And again this 450 only presenting measured data compared to historical data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
I would probably go with the group that is not directly getting paid by folks who will make money if they can get everyone to go along with the Global Warming movement.
Believe me, I wish research would pay better ... (Rich, you did the right thing getting out and moving on the boat )

Look even Rich's (SVThirdDay) posts have more substance than yours. And he tries - self confessed - hard not to have any substance! But he can't help himself because he knows first hand how the science community works and he understands politics. He also knows that the two are not compatible!

If you feel the urge to post again please choose a post that fits to the point you want to make!
__________________
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 18:36   #2541
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,849
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Check your weight lately?...Hows that meat working for you now?
Actually since I cut out lots of the other stuff and eat mostly meat I have lost 34 pounds and I am in much better health. Humans are supposed to eat meat if we weren't we wouldn't have incisors and canine teeth for just that purpose.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is online now   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 18:49   #2542
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gulf Coast
Boat: Morgan, OutIsland, 41
Posts: 100
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

If I should choose to post again???,,,,,

You have hurt me to the core...........

Actually, I am smiling as I write this.

What else can I do?

As an on and off member of the scientific community you hold in such high regard, and more importantly a sailor for over 50 years, I think I do know a bit about "How" it works.

Really.

I want you to know I wrote a complete rant about things like.

You missing the point that 31,000 scientist disagree with your 450.
Miami is sinking due to the everglades being drained, not global warming.
And on and on.

I deleted it.

As you pointed out we should keep science and truth out of this discussion.

After all what fun would we have if we just dealt with brutal truth?

I have dealt with brutal truth my entire life, made a living out of it as a matter of fact. Example: snomed - look it up, it is used in all pathology research in the world, that includes cancer.
If you want brutal truth I think that about is as brutal as it gets.

That is Not why I sail. I sail because of the reality of possibility.

Yeah, it could be said that the port holes could look nicer.
My sail covers have been patched once too often.
My engine could use a real cleaning.
Is my dingy too small or too big?
I really could clean the hull more often.
The teak really does need another going over.
It goes on and on, as you know.

But.

I know, that when the wind is in the sails and they are making that noise, and the boat is humming like it does when it is happy, and the waves are going by, just under the down side of the hull and the next anchor spot is just over the horizon, and the sun is setting in an absolute glorious display of beauty you will never see on land and the air is just incredible.........

Everything will work out.

Politics will come and will go, but the wind will blow forever.

Sailing folks will be as great as we know them to be and we have only to be in the next storm to see that.

If I can but ride the wind just once more, before I sleep, I will be richer than anyone who has never done so.

Thank you for responding to my post.

May your sails be filled with a favored wind and your seas be smooth forever.

Yes, I might just post again, but be gentle, I'm kinda new at this posting stuff.
__________________
Thorne is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 20:25   #2543
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,990
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually since I cut out lots of the other stuff and eat mostly meat I have lost 34 pounds and I am in much better health. Humans are supposed to eat meat if we weren't we wouldn't have incisors and canine teeth for just that purpose.
Yup...another myth but hey....that could be a whole other thread. I seem to remember such a thread about happy vegetarians. Of course the Neanderthals put the negative kibosh on that one.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 20:44   #2544
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,461
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
The MMGW Cultists are coming after your Steak!

“Agriculture today accounts for for one-third of global greenhouse gas emissions that promote global warming,” says Premack, “and half of those agriculture emissions come from livestock.”

Tax meat until it’s too expensive to eat, new UN report suggests - Ice Age Now

Tofu only now for you Cultists, you can now add eating Meat to the list of Sins against mother Gia. Can you buy Meat Credits to offset your Sins?
It was reported 2 days ago that the UN is calling for a big tax on meat to price it out of reach for consumers. Of course hedge funds and other rich socialist sympathizers will still have their juicy stakes from the farms for the elites.

Sounds like a great way to solve AGW. But still the question remains. Will I have to buy thermals for cruising in because of freezing cold temps due to AGC or sun spots or cows pooping in Nebraska? No one has been able to answer this fundamental question that is so important for sailors planning on spending the next 20 to 30 years at sea.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 03-08-2016, 21:18   #2545
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
...
You missing the point that 31,000 scientist disagree with your 450.
No they don't disagree at all. Climate change is real since Earth formed an atmosphere. All scientist agree on that one. Earth's atmosphere is getting warmer right now. Why? Does it matter why? I don't think so. It only matters if it fits your agenda (right and left).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
As you pointed out we should keep science and truth out of this discussion.
Yes please don't mix science with leftist ideology or right dogma and just look at the data and the facts.

Happy
__________________
“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.”
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 04-08-2016, 02:39   #2546
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,803
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually since I cut out lots of the other stuff and eat mostly meat I have lost 34 pounds and I am in much better health. Humans are supposed to eat meat if we weren't we wouldn't have incisors and canine teeth for just that purpose.
If we weren't meant to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of food
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 04-08-2016, 02:45   #2547
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,803
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
I know, that when the wind is in the sails and they are making that noise, and the boat is humming like it does when it is happy, and the waves are going by, just under the down side of the hull and the next anchor spot is just over the horizon, and the sun is setting in an absolute glorious display of beauty you will never see on land and the air is just incredible.........

Everything will work out.

Politics will come and will go, but the wind will blow forever.

Sailing folks will be as great as we know them to be and we have only to be in the next storm to see that.

If I can but ride the wind just once more, before I sleep, I will be richer than anyone who has never done so.

Beautiful!

I'd like to see some of your source code - I suspect it, too is elegant.

__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 04-08-2016, 03:20   #2548
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 584
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

The infertile crescent
The Middle East is baking | The Economist
Quote:
More than war even, climate change is making the region uninhabitable
__________________
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 04-08-2016, 03:23   #2549
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 584
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Disasters linked to climate can increase risk of armed conflict | The Guardian
Quote:
Research found that 23% of violent clashes in ethnically divided places were connected to climate disasters
__________________
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 04-08-2016, 08:07   #2550
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,990
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
If we weren't meant to eat animals, they wouldn't be made of food
Very good Stu. Hence proving the point that since humans were "made of food", many tribes of early man were cannibals. Oh wait...we evolved from that profile.
Let me guess...clubs don't kill people, people kill people...he he he
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.