Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 17:51   #2221
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
I wish I would have come up with that one. Brilliant.

Rich this the best posting in this thread. Thanks for that. It made my day. I'm sill laughing.
Then my work here is done for the day...my goal achieved I will bow out and live to make someone laugh another day...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 18:13   #2222

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
https://weather.com/forecast/regiona...montana-photos

Snowing at 6500 feet in July in three western states. It's abnormal. But...

It's just weather.

But if were hotter at 6500 feet in July in three western states, media and talking science heads would make inferences that the high temps contributed to a pattern showing...ta-da!!!...AGW.

How long before someone says the cold air being carried south from the Arctic is an indication of how we've screwed up the wind patterns with...ta-da!!!...AGW?

Is the melting sea ice in the Arctic contributing to these wind patterns?
Repeat after me...CLIMATE CHANGE...CLIMATE CHANGE. Global warming is what the deniers use to avoid changes in climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I don't mind being called a skeptic, but DO mind being called a denier.
I suggest you revisit your conclusion after reading below:

From thesaurus.com
skeptic

or sceptic

Noun

1. a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.

denier

noun 1. a person who denies.

-------------------------------

The former indicated conscious thought processes, whereas the latter does not.

Sorry amigo...sounds like denial to me...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 18:19   #2223
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Repeat after me...CLIMATE CHANGE...CLIMATE CHANGE. Global warming is what the deniers use to avoid changes in climate.
....is that the chant of a MMGW Cultist.....do we beat a drum and light candles to Mother Gia while reciting the incantation..."Climate Change...Climate Change". I feel like a better person already...ha ha ha

Climate Change is what the MMGW Cultists changed Global Warming to after their models failed to accurately predict the "warming". Now with "Climate Change" the Cultists can use any +/- weather event as evidence as Catastrophic Climate Change.

Sorry Amigo...you will have to have another Estadios Taco and get up a little earlier in the morning to pull that one over on people who know the issue a little better than a FakeBook Meme....
Old 11-07-2016, 18:25   #2224

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
....is that the chant of a MMGW Cultist....hmm....interesting...do we beat a drum and light candles to Mother Gia while reciting the incantation?

Climate Change is what the MMGW Cultists changed Global Warming to after their models failed to accurately predict the "warming". Now with "Climate Change" the Cultists can use any +/- weather event as evidence as Catastrophic Climate Change.

Sorry Amigo...you will have to have another Estadios Taco and get up a little earlier in the morning to pull that one over on people who know the issue a little better than a FakeBook Meme....
It's true for a short time and I mean short, uninformed folks used GW. But the deniers...opps, I'm sorry...factually challenged sunk their teeth in that GW phrase the past 25 years so they could beat up anyone with a weather opinion. ...so sorry amigo go back to your Tecate and Sopa's. Your transparent as glass.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 18:31   #2225
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's true for a short time and I mean short, uninformed folks used GW.
Ah...must be those same uninformed folks talking about the Population Bomb, Peak Oil, Global Cooling and the lefts latest scam...Income Inequality.

In the Mexican heat, have you ever asked yourself why all these movements need/want a crisis to get people to move in the direction they want? Why right out of the Saul Alynski hand book, Rules for Radicals? What next...will we let the Terrorists win if we don't go shopping, spend money to help the economy, and reduce our Carbon Footprint?

Na...don't start thinking about that...chant, Tacos...tacos...tacos....
Old 11-07-2016, 18:54   #2226

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
ROTDLMAO!

James Hansen's seminal 1988 address to Congress:

http://climatechange.procon.org/sour..._Testimony.pdf

"global warming has reached a level such that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause and effect relationship between the greenhouse effect and the observed warming." (and countless other similar uses of the term)

Union of Concerned Scientists:
Global Warming | Union of Concerned Scientists

Constant use of the term,

Yep, rabid deniers, the lot of them.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 19:19   #2227

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
It's true for a short time and I mean short, uninformed folks used GW.
Thank you for confirming that Hansen and the others addressing Congress in 1988 were uninformed.
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 11-07-2016, 19:20   #2228
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Thank you for confirming that Hansen and the others addressing Congress in 1988 were uninformed.
Stu Stu....Stu...
It's not nice to point out theological flaws in the religious dogma of others online. In fact, in Canada it's Hate Speech and you can be prosecuted for it!
Old 11-07-2016, 19:32   #2229

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Stu Stu....Stu...
It's not nice to point out theological flaws in the religious dogma of others online. In fact, in Canada it's Hate Speech and you can be prosecuted for it!
In that case, I take comfort knowing that here in the U.S. we can only be served with "investigative" subpoenas but not necessarily prosecuted.
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 12-07-2016, 10:23   #2230

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Ah...must be those same uninformed folks talking about the Population Bomb, Peak Oil, Global Cooling and the lefts latest scam...Income Inequality.
Don't forget more from the free stuff crowd.
"Free College for everyone and college debt forgiveness."

Marx would be proud of H.C. and B.S.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 12-07-2016, 11:11   #2231
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Today in Seville Spain has been over 100F or 38C.

Its warm.

Tomorrow might be the same or hotter...

Average.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 12-07-2016, 16:50   #2232

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Here's an interesting article on global warming, I stumbled across.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, June 23— The earth has been warmer in the first five months of this year than in any comparable period since measurements began 130 years ago, and the higher temperatures can now be attributed to a long-expected global warming trend linked to pollution, a space agency scientist reported today.

Until now, scientists have been cautious about attributing rising global temperatures of recent years to the predicted global warming caused by pollutants in the atmosphere, known as the ''greenhouse effect.'' But today Dr. James E. Hansen of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration told a Congressional committee that it was 99 percent certain that the warming trend was not a natural variation but was caused by a buildup of carbon dioxide and other artificial gases in the atmosphere.

Dr. Hansen, a leading expert on climate change, said in an interview that there was no ''magic number'' that showed when the greenhouse effect was actually starting to cause changes in climate and weather. But he added, ''It is time to stop waffling so much and say that the evidence is pretty strong that the greenhouse effect is here.'' An Impact Lasting Centuries

If Dr. Hansen and other scientists are correct, then humans, by burning of fossil fuels and other activities, have altered the global climate in a manner that will affect life on earth for centuries to come.

Dr. Hansen, director of NASA's Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, testifed before the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.

He and other scientists testifying before the Senate panel today said that projections of the climate change that is now apparently occurring mean that the Southeastern and Midwestern sections of the United States will be subject to frequent episodes of very high temperatures and drought in the next decade and beyond. But they cautioned that it was not possible to attribute a specific heat wave to the greenhouse effect, given the still limited state of knowledge on the subject. Some Dispute Link

Some scientists still argue that warmer temperatures in recent years may be a result of natural fluctuations rather than human-induced changes.

Several Senators on the Committee joined witnesses in calling for action now on a broad national and international program to slow the pace of global warming.

Senator Timothy E. Wirth, the Colorado Democrat who presided at hearing today, said: ''As I read it, the scientific evidence is compelling: the global climate is changing as the earth's atmosphere gets warmer. Now, the Congress must begin to consider how we are going to slow or halt that warming trend and how we are going to cope with the changes that may already be inevitable.'' Trapping of Solar Radiation

Mathematical models have predicted for some years now that a buildup of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil and other gases emitted by human activities into the atmosphere would cause the earth's surface to warm by trapping infrared radiation from the sun, turning the entire earth into a kind of greenhouse.

If the current pace of the buildup of these gases continues, the effect is likely to be a warming of 3 to 9 degrees Fahrenheit from the year 2025 to 2050, according to these projections. This rise in temperature is not expected to be uniform around the globe but to be greater in the higher latitudes, reaching as much as 20 degrees, and lower at the Equator.

The rise in global temperature is predicted to cause a thermal expansion of the oceans and to melt glaciers and polar ice, thus causing sea levels to rise by one to four feet by the middle of the next century. Scientists have already detected a slight rise in sea levels. At the same time, heat would cause inland waters to evaporate more rapidly, thus lowering the level of bodies of water such as the Great Lakes.

Dr. Hansen, who records temperatures from readings at monitoring stations around the world, had previously reported that four of the hottest years on record occurred in the 1980's. Compared with a 30-year base period from 1950 to 1980, when the global temperature averaged 59 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature was one-third of a degree higher last year. In the entire century before 1880, global temperature had risen by half a degree, rising in the late 1800's and early 20th century, then roughly stabilizing for unknown reasons for several decades in the middle of the century. Warmest Year Expected

In the first five months of this year, the temperature averaged about four-tenths of a degree above the base period, Dr. Hansen reported today. ''The first five months of 1988 are so warm globally that we conclude that 1988 will be the warmest year on record unless there is a remarkable, improbable cooling in the remainder of the year,'' he told the Senate committee.

He also said that current climate patterns were consistent with the projections of the greenhouse effect in several respects in addition to the rise in temperature. For example, he said, the rise in temperature is greater in high latitudes than in low, is greater over continents than oceans, and there is cooling in the upper atmosphere as the lower atmosphere warms up.

''Global warming has reached a level such that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause and effect relationship between the greenhouse effect and observed warming,'' Dr. Hansen said at the hearing today, adding, ''It is already happening now.''

Dr. Syukuro Manabe of the Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration testified today that a number of factors, including an earlier snowmelt each year because of higher temperatures and a rain belt that moves farther north in the summer means that ''it is likely that severe mid-continental summer dryness will occur more frequently with increasing atmsopheric temperature.'' A Taste of the Future

While natural climate variability is the most likely chief cause of the current drought, Dr. Manabe said, the global warming trend is probably ''aggravating the current dry condition.'' He added that the current drought was a foretaste of what the country would be facing in the years ahead.

Dr. George Woodwell, director of the Woods Hole Research Center in Woods Hole, Mass., said that while a slow warming trend would give human society time to respond, the rate of warming is uncertain. One factor that could speed up global warming is the widescale destruction of forests that are unable to adjust rapidly enough to rising temperatures. The dying forests would release the carbon dioxide they store in their organic matter, and thus greatly speed up the greenhouse effect. Sharp Cut in Fuel Use Urged

Dr. Woodwell, and other members of the panel, said that planning must begin now for a sharp reduction in the burning of coal, oil and other fossil fuels that release carbon dioxide. Because trees absorb and store carbon dioxide, he also proposed an end to the current rapid clearing of forests in many parts of the world and ''a vigorous program of reforestation.''

Some experts also believe that concern over global warming caused by the burning of fossil fuels warrants a renewed effort to develop safe nuclear power. Others stress the need for more efficient use of energy through conservation and other measures to curb fuel-burning.
Global Warming Has Begun, Expert Tells Senate - NYTimes.com

Note the article is dated 24th June 1988. It's interesting because in nearly 30 years, the doom and gloom and alarmism argument has been consistent. Just like the climate.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 12-07-2016, 18:04   #2233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post

Note the article is dated 24th June 1988. It's interesting because in nearly 30 years, the doom and gloom and alarmism argument has been consistent. Just like the climate.
Notice anything?

jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 12-07-2016, 18:47   #2234
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Here's an interesting article on global warming, I stumbled across.

Global Warming Has Begun, Expert Tells Senate - NYTimes.com

Absolutely Priceless....
This is exactly why I call them MMGW Cultists...facts do NOT MATTER to them..it's all feel good, mother earth, being a good person, get the girls cultism. It's both sad and halarious at the same time.
Old 12-07-2016, 19:47   #2235

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Notice anything?

Without my glasses, I'd say that the avg. temp. of the climate changed approx. 0.45 degs. in almost 30 yrs. Do you know what this is attributed to or should we ask the two climate scientists who are responsible for producing this data?
Exile is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising