Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2016, 15:55   #2161
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,897
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Holy Smokes....A Rapid Drop in June Temps....

The Alarmists and MMGW Cultists won't like this.
I'm not sure if it's a case of you Reefy, Stu not understanding the science or that you have gone so far with your mocking that your simply way too proud to admit how wrong you have been


"Mean monthly temperatures for June for Australia were 1.30 C above average, the sixth-highest on record. Every month of 2016 has had temperatures well above average and the first six months of the year have been 1.38 C above average, 0.22 C above the previous record set in 2005. The 12 months from July 2015 to June 2016 (1.28 C above average) were also the warmest on record"

Australia in June 2016
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 15:55   #2162
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,730
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
June 2016 is not up to date enough for you? Try Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It's July. The data is out there.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 15:59   #2163
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,730
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I'm not sure if it's a case of you Reefy, Stu not understanding the science or that you have gone so far with your mocking that your simply way too proud to admit how wrong you have been


"Mean monthly temperatures for June for Australia were 1.30 C above average, the sixth-highest on record. Every month of 2016 has had temperatures well above average and the first six months of the year have been 1.38 C above average, 0.22 C above the previous record set in 2005. The 12 months from July 2015 to June 2016 (1.28 C above average) were also the warmest on record"

Australia in June 2016
The sixth warmest, aye? July figures will be interesting.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 16:01   #2164
Registered User
 
adoxograph's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ 'ʇsɐoɔ ǝuıɥsuns
Boat: Landlocked right now.
Posts: 355
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
... -- if you are trying to make some argument -- make that argument, and make it in your own words, and use other people's words selectively to support your argument. ...
This is a good one. Using their own argument. Hilarious!

You are expecting too much from the participants here, which are mostly blinded by their political believes (left and right) and do not understand the underlying science at all.

The worst thing is both sides do not even try to get a scientifically balanced view, relying only on sources (cut and paste/quoting) confirming their believes (there is no AGW/there is AGW) and consequently ignoring everything that would contradict this believe. Even worse, both sides are discrediting sources, which do not fit in their world view. I think there is a word for that. Ah yes, it is called bias.

This is a thread where the whole argument can be summarised as: "See Prof.Dr.John Doe said it and therefore I'm right and you are an ignorant imbecile/true believer" followed by the counterargument "John Doe is a charlatan, he is not even a Prof. How stupid can you be believing him?"

However, this is exactly what makes this thread so entertaining.
__________________
As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts.
― Herman Melville, Moby-Dick
adoxograph is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 16:17   #2165
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,730
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Well, I for one don't not believe there is a link between warming and atmospheric CO2 / greenhouse gas composition. I just want to understand the mindset that results in endless predictions of doom and gloom which just isn't happening. And isn't happening 166 years past so called "climatic optimums". Furthermore, the zeal of some alarmists to report every little blip in the weather as some kind of proof of devastating climate change is laughable.

More concerning is when one of the world's most preeminent climate change scientists quotes absolute exagerated facts to the point where they become untruths. At least Al Gore had an excuse that being he isn't a scientist.
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 17:40   #2166
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 3,899
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Atmospheric CO2 contributes to atmospheric warming. It's a simple scientific fact.

Whether the warming is a catastrophe or a huge boon to any particular interest group is another thing not easily proved or disproved.

That sums up it up I think.
__________________
transmitterdan is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 17:51   #2167
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,516
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Meanwhile in the Arctic

June set another satellite-era record low for average sea ice extent, despite slower than average rates of ice loss. The slow rate of ice loss reflects the prevailing atmospheric pattern, with low pressure centered over the central Arctic Ocean and lower than average temperatures over the Beaufort Sea.



The seminal "How To Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff
Chapter 6.

"torn" or "truncated" graph.
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 18:00   #2168
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,516
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Well, I for one don't not believe there is a link between warming and atmospheric CO2 / greenhouse gas composition. I just want to understand the mindset that results in endless predictions of doom and gloom which just isn't happening. And isn't happening 166 years past so called "climatic optimums". Furthermore, the zeal of some alarmists to report every little blip in the weather as some kind of proof of devastating climate change is laughable.

More concerning is when one of the world's most preeminent climate change scientists quotes absolute exagerated facts to the point where they become untruths. At least Al Gore had an excuse that being he isn't a scientist.
Wot 'e sed!
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 18:01   #2169
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,516
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Atmospheric CO2 contributes to atmospheric warming. It's a simple scientific fact.

Whether the warming is a catastrophe or a huge boon to any particular interest group is another thing not easily proved or disproved.

That sums up it up I think.
And 'im!
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 18:09   #2170
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The seminal "How To Lie With Statistics" by Darrell Huff
Chapter 6.

"torn" or "truncated" graph.
That is the range for the satellite record for Arctic sea ice. How is it torn or truncated?
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 18:15   #2171
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,516
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
That is the range for the satellite record for Arctic sea ice. How is it torn or truncated?
Y Axis starts at 10.
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 18:18   #2172
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
It's July. The data is out there.
It was a report on the month of June.

Here is the current data. Remember the ides of September is the low minimum date. Two months to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	asina_N_stddev_timeseries.png
Views:	33
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	127582  
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 18:32   #2173
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Y Axis starts at 10.
It was probably done to save space, nothing nefarious.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 19:36   #2174
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 3,416
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
It was a report on the month of June.

Here is the current data. Remember the ides of September is the low minimum date. Two months to go.
The real interesting part I see is the current years melt shows within the 2 standard deviation of the baseline
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 19:52   #2175
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The real interesting part I see is the current years melt shows within the 2 standard deviation of the baseline
It is 2 SD below the mean.

If you had an IQ -2 SD of the mean, it would be 70. About 97% of the population would be higher than you.

__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.