Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 19:49   #2131
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,509
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Aliens, or ocean rise? I know which one you'd bet on, if it came to that.

And you have no argument.
Speaking of no argument, and now that we have been refreshed on some of the actual science explaining why land masses have always risen and sunk, let's have another look at a few snippets from L-E's NY Times article about the sinking of Tangiers Island in the Chesapeake Bay:

1. " Tangier had lost two-thirds of its landmass since 1850."

2. "Over the past four centuries, Schulte estimates, more than 500 islands have disappeared from the bay, about 40 of them once inhabited."

3. "The land in and around the Chesapeake is sinking, because of lingering effects from geological events dating back 20,000 years."

4. The forces that make the Chesapeake area so vulnerable (the region currently experiences about five millimeters of relative sea-level rise annually, significantly more than the global annual average of three millimeters) will not be getting any better. 'The land is likely to be sinking for many thousands of years.'

Huh. And somehow the problems Tangiers Island faces are attributable to MMGW, along with countless miles of the eastern seaboard. Go figure. But according to the article and its sources, parts of Miami Beach will be underwater in 2050. Unless you would prefer to believe Mr. Schulte from the Corps of Engineers who claims Miami is already underwater. Anyone know someone we could call down in Miami to see how high the water is??
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 19:51   #2132
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,509
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Absolutely....
You don't think I'm participating in this thread for anything but laughs do you...ha ha ha...now what outrageous link or thing can I post now to have a blast....
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 19:52   #2133
Senior Cruiser
 
senormechanico's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Posts: 5,281
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I do remember it well Reefmagnet, and no, you were the one that said it was sinking from tatonic plate shifts or some nonsense. You completely denied had anything to do with seas rising. And No, you didn't use 'mathematics and facts' to support your argument.

Low-lying Maldives drowning under the weight of climate change | Stuff.co.nz
Nonsense?
The very island I live on (not Guam) has obvious evidence of subsistence in some areas and rising in others. I don't have any links, just looking at the shore as I sail around it and other long time residents' memories.

It's NOT going to capsize as a congressman (don't know what he was smoking at the time) said.



__________________
You never appreciate what you have until it's gone.
Toilet paper is a good example.
senormechanico is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 22:09   #2134
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,881
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Nonsense?
The very island I live on (not Guam) has obvious evidence of subsistence in some areas and rising in others. I don't have any links, just looking at the shore as I sail around it and other long time residents' memories.

It's NOT going to capsize as a congressman (don't know what he was smoking at the time) said.



Oh come on.. surely he's smoking something You don't have to be a believer in MMGW to know he's on something. The following may explain it.

"In December 2009, Johnson revealed that he had been battling Hepatitis C (HCV) for over a decade, which resulted in slow speech and a tendency to regularly get "lost in thought in the middle of a discussion".[33] Johnson said that he learned he had the disease in 1998 but did not know how he contracted it. HCV-induced liver dysfunction often leads to hepatic encephalopathy, a cause of confusion."
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 07-07-2016, 23:17   #2135
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 7,828
Images: 5
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Nonsense?
The very island I live on (not Guam) has obvious evidence of subsistence in some areas and rising in others. I don't have any links, just looking at the shore as I sail around it and other long time residents' memories.

It's NOT going to capsize as a congressman (don't know what he was smoking at the time) said.



Well...that's embarrassing! He has the vocabulary of a 2nd grader and the intelligence of a moron. Good grief, no wonder this country is so XXXXed up!
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 00:15   #2136
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,881
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Well...that's embarrassing! He has the vocabulary of a 2nd grader and the intelligence of a moron. Good grief, no wonder this country is so XXXXed up!
hmmm, Are you from the U.S (or Mexican) ? have you seen the news today of what's going on in your country?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 05:20   #2137
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,920
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

People, there have been posts in this thread with the entire text or large chunks of text taken out of copyrighted sources and posted, mostly without even any comments or analysis.

This is a violation of the right of fair use and is forbidden by the CF rules. It is also poor posting style -- if you are trying to make some argument -- make that argument, and make it in your own words, and use other people's words selectively to support your argument. Just cutting and pasting stuff you find in the Internet just clutters up the thread, besides being a possible copyright violation, and definitely violation of our Rules.

If you want someone to read an entire article, just post the link.

Thank you.
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:08   #2138
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 566
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Gauging the impact of climate change on US agriculture | PHYS.org
__________________
SailOar is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:13   #2139
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,005
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People, there have been posts in this thread with the entire text or large chunks of text taken out of copyrighted sources and posted, mostly without even any comments or analysis.

This is a violation of the right of fair use and is forbidden by the CF rules. It is also poor posting style -- if you are trying to make some argument -- make that argument, and make it in your own words, and use other people's words selectively to support your argument. Just cutting and pasting stuff you find in the Internet just clutters up the thread, besides being a possible copyright violation, and definitely violation of our Rules.

If you want someone to read an entire article, just post the link.

Thank you.
Thank you!
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:19   #2140
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,005
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I don't think SO quite understood the point. So now we get just a bare link with no comment or explanation.

I for one will not be bothering to follow any of them.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 06:42   #2141
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 16,920
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I don't think SO quite understood the point. So now we get just a bare link with no comment or explanation.

I for one will not be bothering to follow any of them.

Yes -- if you want an outside source to complement a discussion, it's advisable to write something about whatever it is, you think the source is saying.

There's no substitute for thinking -- and arguing -- for yourself. Anyone can google up a bunch of links, but what do they mean?
__________________
Dockhead is online now   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 07:10   #2142
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 3,808
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

I read the thread, yes I know, I was bored - it was raining here. All I can say is that most of went went on here doesn't surprise me, from the people who think the moon landing was faked and aliens are real.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 07:37   #2143
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,665
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I read the thread, yes I know, I was bored - it was raining here. All I can say is that most of went went on here doesn't surprise me, from the people who think the moon landing was faked and aliens are real.
NASA believes the moon landings were real and also believe aliens are real. That should surprise you.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 08:31   #2144
Marine Service Provider
 
newhaul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182
Posts: 2,501
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

With how big the universe is believing that humans are the only sentient lifeforms is really dilusional IMO.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 08:34   #2145
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Probably and anchorage or a boatyard..
Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Posts: 2,905
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
With how big the universe is believing that humans are the only sentient lifeforms is really dilusional IMO.
"If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"
__________________

__________________
conachair is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 20:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 20:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 06:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 08:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 09:48


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:57.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.