Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2016, 12:31   #1576
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Errr....that coal you mention? Didn't it start out as wood...that hadn't yet decomposed...and, when burning, does finally decompose during a chemical reaction with oxygen, while releasing heat and light?

A natural process...needing only a little concentrated heat to get it started.

Same with oil...unless you think crude formation is abiotic.
The sequestering of carbon through buried coal beds and oil in underground formations lowered the CO2 levels to the levels that existed for the past 800,000 years, at least. By extracting and burning those fossil fuels we have raised the CO2 levels back to those not seen in 4-5 million years.

Using technology we can produce heat and light without emitting CO2. And we can use hydrocarbons in more appropriate ways as materials feedstock, lubricants, etc..
__________________

__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 15:37   #1577
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,918
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
... no amount of environmental rhetoric or taxation will sway those whose dependence on fossil fuels is non-discretionary. And that's just in the developed world. Good luck with swaying China, India, and countless other countries in the rapidly developing world who are finally benefitting so greatly from such cheap energy.
You're wrong about taxation/duties/subsidies/etc not having effect. And who, exactly, has a non-discretionary dependence on fossil fuel? Let's examine those.

In case you haven't noticed, we are paying absurdly low prices for gas. There's no better, more affordable time than now to start applying carbon pricing, which would result in gas prices that are still lower than 5 years ago.

Quote:
Our best path forward is unfettered science through the time-proven peer review process, not suppression of opinions some political faction or another doesn't happen to approve of.
That's hilarious when contrasted with your previous gymnastics over the "consensus" and government funding of "pro-AGW" research, and government plots.

But hey. Get on the phone to your Congress-critter and demand more and better science. More stuff for you to slag later.
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:05   #1578
Registered User
 
boat_alexandra's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Masachusetts
Boat: bristol 27
Posts: 2,786
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Drive a smaller car; live in a smaller house; telecommute; recycle; design stuff with the objective to last longer rather than cheapness to make; teach people that last year's model still works the same this year; discourage the throw away society; restrict consumerism; avoid products with excessive packaging; avoid drinking bottled water in regions with potable water supplies; respect the environment in general; try and breed less.

For starters.
Logically to promote your goals, if you can do all that wouldn't you want to breed more, at least until there are more people like that than what you can find now?
__________________
boat_alexandra is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:08   #1579
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,557
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

California just announced a closing of a Nuke plant that accounted for 9% of the State's power use...CO2 emissions...here we come
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:12   #1580
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,505
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Since respiration is part of the natural short term CO2 cycle your comment is irrelevant.

Burning fossil fuels is not part of the natural short term CO2 cycle.
There, fixed it for you.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:18   #1581
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,918
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
There, fixed it for you.
There's nothing NATURAL about burning tens of thousands of years of sequestered carbon in like 200 years. Even some of your posted graphs have shown that clearly.
__________________
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:22   #1582
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,728
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Now go look in a mirror and repeat that 1000 times.

My post is all fact.
..based on <1% of the available data.

Besides, what proof do you have that humans and "their food crops" won't sustain, or even prosper, in a warmer world?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:23   #1583
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,728
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
My biggest surprise in this thread, is that there's actually someone left in the World still silly enough to use Norton anti-virus.

One can only hope it came free with a new PC.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 16:30   #1584
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,728
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Logically to promote your goals, if you can do all that wouldn't you want to breed more, at least until there are more people like that than what you can find now?
What yo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 17:25   #1585
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,755
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You're wrong about taxation/duties/subsidies/etc not having effect. And who, exactly, has a non-discretionary dependence on fossil fuel? Let's examine those.

I see that the complexity of the many issues surrounding CC aren't getting any easier for you. When it comes to the basic economics surrounding issues that have already been extensively discussed, maybe better to (re)read and listen rather than write and talk so much.

In case you haven't noticed, we are paying absurdly low prices for gas. There's no better, more affordable time than now to start applying carbon pricing, which would result in gas prices that are still lower than 5 years ago.

We are paying a price for gas that is dictated by a large oversupply due mostly to N. American fracking technology and Saudi Arabia's unwillingness or inability to curtail production. This is happening as worldwide demand continues to increase, mostly due to growth in China and India, albeit at a slower pace because their economies have slowed. The bottom line is that demand has little to do with the low price of gas that you find so "absurd." Ergo, artificially raising the price through taxation will accomplish little, and hurt poorer people who don't have the option of buying an expensive hybrid or electric car to get to work, or installing solar panels on their roofs. Enough examination for you on the concept of non-discretionary dependence on fossil fuels?? None of this is opinion, politics or ideology, and none of it very difficult to grasp.

Here's a little insight into how the rest of the world works, i.e. the world outside your tiny minority who are apparently consumed by fantasy and self-righteousness. The article is in response to a White House marketing campaign to "help" the rest of us understand why action on CC is akin to purchasing "climate insurance."


False Security: Why Climate 'Insurance' Arguments Fall Flat | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

A sampling:

Not so with climate "insurance." We don't know what risks we're insuring against. We don't know what the costs of the potential damage might be, or if there will be any costs at all. We don't know if the premiums we'll be forced to pay will do anything to reduce those risks. And we ignore the very real costs that climate change policies will impose on the world's poor.

Other than that, it's a great idea.


That's hilarious when contrasted with your previous gymnastics over the "consensus" and government funding of "pro-AGW" research, and government plots.

The "consensus" is bogus, but a more objective and thus credible one conducted by climatologists themselves through a non-partisan body could be quite useful. Extensive govt. or private funding of scientific research always runs the risk of creating bias. It's human nature and nothing unique nor personal towards the scientists themselves. No govt. plots or conspiracies imho, only pressures to conform, advance careers, and get re-elected.

But hey. Get on the phone to your Congress-critter and demand more and better science. More stuff for you to slag later.
"Congress-critter?" I know the US Congress has not been held in high esteem for quite awhile now, but I never heard individual members called "critters." Anyone know if there is an age requirement for posting on this forum?
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 20:15   #1586
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Slidell, La.
Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Posts: 1,055
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
There's nothing NATURAL about burning tens of thousands of years of sequestered carbon in like 200 years. Even some of your posted graphs have shown that clearly.
Just to be clear, most coal is believed to be derived from deposits laid down in the Carboniferous Period, from roughly 360 to 290 million years ago. So if we burned it all in a thousand years, (seems last estimate I heard was that we have about a six hundred year supply at current usage rates), we'll be using up, depending on how one looks at it, that resource at a rate either 70,000 or 360,000 times faster than it was produced (and by implication, could be reformed [except it probably can't, because it seems that the formation of coal has something to do with certain fungi, that didn't exist at that time, not breaking down the plants that eventually turned to coal]).

A similar statement can be made for oil products; crude oil (conventional and 'tight'), natural gas, and oil sands and shales, except that the consumption rate is even higher, given the (mostly optimistic) scenarios of those reserves lasting 100 years additionally.

Would have to say though that it is quite 'natural' (maybe even good) for a species to work itself into a corner. It seems pretty obvious that all species are made up of individuals that, by nature and necessity, are fundamentally concerned primarily with their own success...

What seems un-natural is that the individuals that make up a supposedly intelligent and self aware species seem to be unable to use that intelligence to their and its' advantage (especially given that the success of the species derived largely from intra-species co-operation). Kinda like a healthy young lion starving when the veldt's full of juicy antelope...
__________________
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 20:41   #1587
Senior Cruiser
 
jackdale's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 5,023
Images: 1
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
..based on <1% of the available data.

Besides, what proof do you have that humans and "their food crops" won't sustain, or even prosper, in a warmer world?

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Been there, done that.
__________________
ISPA Yachtmaster Ocean Instructor Evaluator
Sail Canada Advanced Cruising Instructor
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 21:12   #1588
Registered User
 
GoingWalkabout's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA & Argentina
Boat: In the market for a Lagoon 56 (seems like the perfect fit)
Posts: 1,474
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
California just announced a closing of a Nuke plant that accounted for 9% of the State's power use...CO2 emissions...here we come
You've got it wrong. No c02, they are going solar panels and wind to replace the energy loss.

But they have a big problem. In order to build out enough solar panels to replace 9% of the States power needs and they will have to cover at least 50 square miles with solar panels.

First, I don't know how they will get the building permits through. Do you know how many rare frogs, snakes, insects etc. will take precedence over the building project.

Then you have the daily slaughter of birds. Do people realize how many birds get mercilessly fried a day by monster solar arrays.

Last but not least, what will the ongoing cost be for panel cleaning and let's not forget the replacement costs due to cell failure every 10 years.

But sure. Let's replace a non eco damaging energy source that provided energy for 30 years.
__________________
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 22:28   #1589
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 9,832
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Walkabout View Post
You've got it wrong.

Last but not least, what will the ongoing cost be for panel cleaning and let's not forget the replacement costs due to cell failure every 10 years.

But sure. Let's replace a non eco damaging energy source that provided energy for 30 years.
You mean the fact fact that the nuclear waste is now having to be contained and stored for thousands of years is non eco damaging?

Somehow people are not looking at the complete picture....
__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply
Old 21-06-2016, 22:29   #1590
Registered User
 
Reefmagnet's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: puɐןsuǝǝnb 'ʎɐʞɔɐɯ
Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Posts: 2,728
Re: Do we need to be preparing for Arctic cruising strategies because of Global Cooli

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Been there, done that.
Must've missed that in dispatches.

What do you make of this chart...?


Missouri Wheat Facts - Missouri Crop Resource Guide

Or this, for that matter...?

https://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn...eldtrends.html

How does it compare to this one...?

Climate Change

Sure doesn't look like our food crops are suffering too much as a result of climate change to this neophyte.
__________________

__________________
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
arc, cooling, cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love cruising because it teaches humility zboss General Sailing Forum 38 17-09-2014 19:38
A Boat Is Better than a Wife, Because . . . BlueWaterSail Off Topic Forum 94 20-02-2011 19:10
Current Strategies in Solar Power ? Roy M Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 47 18-07-2010 05:37
i'm Really a Tiller Guy, because i Like the Responsiveness of a Multihull... Pipeline Multihull Sailboats 2 08-01-2010 07:32
Men return to Mountains and to the Sea because.... JohnnyB Challenges 4 10-10-2008 08:48



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.