Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2010, 06:51   #16
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
agree with the others .. i think he made it to shore with the help of the PFD. keep the faith .. i hope you find your dog.
Old 19-11-2010, 16:08   #17

Crabbyjane........I don't know anything about the area, IF there are low tidal marshes and such, maybe there are hunting and fishing clubs that frequent the area.....A very good thing to do might be to call the newspapers and/or radio stations in the area......They will probably be happy to write a human interest story about you and your dog and what happened......the more people that know about this, the better.

There was a dog in Australia that went overboard......I think without a PFD, and, instead of swimming toward the continent,...swam 6 miles through shark infested waters to an island. He survived by eating goats and was reunited with his owners 4 months later.........
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 16:13   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We lost our Schipperke in the Neuse River a few years ago, but we were very fortunate to have found that a boat traveling behind us had picked him up. We wish you the best, Aythya crew
Old 19-11-2010, 16:32   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44
My chessie did this often. Make lots of phone calls to municapalities. Iras lucky and found her several times. Once we were anchored and I working below several hours I came up to get a wag and scupper was gone. I found her in a cornfield. Later she was picked up by a dog catcher in DC she had gone for a walk about. Another time she was run over by a truck in RI and disappeared for hours. She died in my arms from cancer after putting up with me and sailing. Keep the hope these are tough dogs that thrive to survive. Someday scupper will be reunited with the chesspeake until then her ashes pear down from a bookcase reminding me of her love and often how odd I can be. It's a quizzical look that labs have. Your sailing for three days and I won't be able to pee on dirt head cocks like really?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 17:57   #20

CrabbyJane, did you post on Cruisers' Net as well? And ActiveCaptain? Most of the southbound boats check in there as well. We're on our way that direction and will do what we can.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 18:59   #21

Boat: No boat, looking again.
I heard of a dog that fell overboard off the coast of Qld. Owners gave up looking eventually. It was found by other people on an uninhabited island about four months or so later. Apparently it swam an amazing distance then lived off goats and coconuts. Well, maybe not coconuts. It was very happy to eventually be reunited with its owners.

Hope you find ya dog.
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 19:48   #22

Boat: private yacht always moving
Hope you have a happy ending like these 2 articles have

Pet dog survives four months lost at sea off Australia

Pet dog survives four months lost at sea off Australia - Telegraph

Dog found at sea, floating on piece of ice

Unleashed: Dog found at sea, floating on piece of ice - Pets in Baltimore: Dogs, cats, animal shelters and rescues in Maryland by reporter Jill Rosen - baltimoresun.com
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 01:07   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Try tapping into the local hunters, they are the guys out in the field this time of year, especially duck hunters, they appreciate retrievers and water dogs. Or Game Wardens.

Here is the best I can do: a list of sporting goods stores. Someone there will be able to give you ideas on how to tap into the local sporting community. These are all in Elizabeth City

Odens Sporting Goods - Phone: (252) 335-2081
Bassackward Lures - Phone: (252) 338-4700
Price's Fur Feather & Fin - Phone: (252) 338-3443
Bull-shooters Supply - Phone: (252) 330-4571
East Coast Taxidermy - Phone: (252) 335-7453
Waterfoul Taxidermy - Phone: (252) 453-3691
Bethel Fishin Center - Phone: (252) 426-5155 - Hertford

The taxidermy shops will get guys coming in out of the field. So there will be a lot of traffic this time of year with guys who are really out there. They will have a wide range of contacts.

I feel bad for you and your mut. My best wishes.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 03:48   #24

Boat: Morgan OI 30' Itinerant
The yellow life jacket and the dogs swimming ability say 'he is alive'. My golden-doodle loves the water and I use a yellow life jacket too because he has an affinity for falling off the dock...4 times! Please let us know when find him!

J.M.Synge, in The Aran Islands
Boomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 05:08   #25

I appreciate all of your helpful and creative input - you are all wonderful, wonderful people - thank you!
crabbyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 13:50   #26

One more idea........IF there are any local airports for private planes in the area, call and ask if the manager of the airport will put up a sign telling about Bucky and where he was last seen. Local pilots that fly over the area in their small private planes, if they know about the situation, may just look a little closer if they fly over the area and spot him.....
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2010, 15:41   #27
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
when you find bucky, please use tether for him in future!! i use one on bubba daboatkat and i dont have to worry as much when i am out in seas....
i try to imagine how i would feel if i lost bubby overboard -- i cant even speak of it-- good luck.. note i said WHEN.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 05:31   #28

thanks for yet another good idea, Skye! As for tethering, we tried that and ended up with a dog trying to hang himself! I will also try to contact the various sports stores from the list given - big handicap is lack of money - annuity check doesn't come in until Dec 1 and we're down to our last $200 (or less) so travel around the sound is hampered. We head back to Wisconsin until March in mid-December, but keeping boat in Washington NC in case something turns up.
Old 21-11-2010, 05:39   #29

Boat: Symbol Pilot House 52
that's a big sound. where were you when you noticed he was gone. I hope you find him. that is one of my biggest fears!!
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 05:49   #30

We were between 1/4 of the way between Elizabeth City and the Alligator - a lot of distance.