Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 06:28   #61

Boat: Rinker 24
Re: Defender warehouse workers on strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
MODERATOR NOTE:

This is an important issue for boat owners in North America, as it may well affect many projects on the go right now during hurricane season. Let's keep the discussion to the topic of how the strike may affect us, and Defender, and leave the social and political commentary alone.
I think this needs to be quoted again.

Since I have not read anyone posting here who actually works at Defender, at this point EVERYTHING is conjecture, which is another word for guessing.

From the earlier quoted article, here is a pic of Defender employees:

They do not look like a group who have so much money they'd like to strike because they are not allowed to be lazy enough at work.

But I do not know, as I do not work there! Are the workers jerks? Is management the jerk? Or maybe both groups have struggles right now are both groups are simply trying to do the best they can at the moment and since they are all human with additional struggles that include things other than work life is kinda tough all around?

Anyway, here's to wishing that this strike gets resolved promptly and to the satisfaction of both sides, I am sure that neither likes being where they are right now.

SOOOO...... Has anyone ordered anything recently?
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:44   #62

Boat: Kaufman 47

I ordered a fairly large order of about $400 on the 6th and got a shipment confirmation the next day. I needed a part (flapper piece for my Vetus exhaust thru hull came off) special ordered and I forgot to mention it in my notes at checkout. Well I emailed them literally 15 mins after I forgot to tell them I wanted to include it in my order. Got a quick reply back saying it was taken care of on a separate ticket, as my first order was ALREADY processed , AND they reduced the price of shipping! I love those guys, and they have excellent customer service, been using them for the last year and a half for just about everything for my refit.

Hope the workers get back to it because without them defender wouldn't be what it is, they have a good thing there. I don't think they know it right now.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:19   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Well if it was .50 per hour several years ago that could have well been close to a 10% raise. I assume a genius IT guy could (maybe) calculate that means you earn it back in 40weeks. If you were unpaid. I would imagine the New York teamsters will be reimbursing the workers for some of their lost wages.

And 6 errors does seem like a bunch looking down from the ivory towers, but how much extra time do you suppose they're allotted to double check their work?
Old 09-09-2015, 07:33   #64
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I ordered a fairly large order of about $400 on the 6th and got a shipment confirmation the next day. I needed a part (flapper piece for my Vetus exhaust thru hull came off) special ordered and I forgot to mention it in my notes at checkout. Well I emailed them literally 15 mins after I forgot to tell them I wanted to include it in my order. Got a quick reply back saying it was taken care of on a separate ticket, as my first order was ALREADY processed , AND they reduced the price of shipping! I love those guys, and they have excellent customer service, been using them for the last year and a half for just about everything for my refit.
Yup, the combination of Defender, and United Parcel Service, has been an unbeatable combination, for me... But wait, how can that be? Aren't those UPS workers unionized, as well?

;-)

I first met Stephan Lance about 20 years ago, he used to be a pretty active participant on the original CRUISING WORLD bulletin board... A great guy, but very much his father's son... I've always thought that one of the reasons Defender's print catalog has remained unchanged over all these years, is that Stephan knows his dad would come back to haunt him, if he altered it... ;-)

Quote:
In its early years the company was a family affair, managed by Mr. Lance's wife, Charlotte, and staffed at various times by all of his five children. His children were assigned pages of the Defender catalogue to prepare, and the family assembled the catalog each year spread across the dining room table.
In today's world where acquisition and growth in the desire to inflate stock prices seems to drive everything, it's difficult for many to understand the culture that informs the management of a more 'old-fashioned' business like Defender, founded 75+ years ago...

The obituary of the late Sheldon Lance will give you some idea, they don't make many like him, anymore... ;-)

Unlike Randy Repass, Stephan hasn't cashed out, and turned Defender over to the 'experts' who learned how to run businesses at Harvard, or Wharton, and who are now turning West Marine into a clothing emporium...

;-)

Sheldon Lance Obituary - New London, CT | The Day
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:09   #65

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy

Defender just lost a customer, I will never buy from them again. I have spent thousands on top of thousands with them. $13 an hour is slaving. I do not shop at Walmart or SAMs either. Big box...Costco only. A checker at Costco after 5 years makes close to $$50k..... These companies can do it, and in the end, with happy, quality employees it pays off.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:46   #66

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Well if it was .50 per hour several years ago that could have well been close to a 10% raise. I assume a genius IT guy could (maybe) calculate that means you earn it back in 40weeks. If you were unpaid. I would imagine the New York teamsters will be reimbursing the workers for some of their lost wages.

And 6 errors does seem like a bunch looking down from the ivory towers, but how much extra time do you suppose they're allotted to double check their work?
In our case the negotiation concession was a loss of cost of living increase for 2 years. It was calculated it was almost 2 years was the breaking point. Not a lot of part time workers last that long without moving up or moving on. Unsure if it is the same as defender, but store management greatly enforced policies, usually accuracy and timekeeping instead of just looking the other way on infractions. union stores had a greater turnover shortly after the strike ended.

If they cant be fast and accurate..maybe warehouse work isnt for them!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:28   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
In our case the negotiation concession was a loss of cost of living increase for 2 years. It was calculated it was almost 2 years was the breaking point. Not a lot of part time workers last that long without moving up or moving on. Unsure if it is the same as defender, but store management greatly enforced policies, usually accuracy and timekeeping instead of just looking the other way on infractions. union stores had a greater turnover shortly after the strike ended.

If they cant be fast and accurate..maybe warehouse work isnt for them!

An aside, a friend of mine came to Canada from Mexico as a temporary foreign worker, and transitioned to immigrating here.

He obtained work in a grocery warehouse. Although his base pay is only $12 an hour, he takes home between 65 and $70,000 a year. The reason is for the bonus structure that rewards both speed and accuracy. He is allowed one mistake a week, in fulfilling grocery orders. If he makes two mistakes a week, he gets no bonus.

He hasn't missed the bonus for 3 years.

The interesting comment he made about the very large warehouse that he works in is that virtually the whole crew is Mexican or other immigrants. He's told me that long-term citizens have applied there and started there, but they just couldn't keep up with the work and work ethic that was required to make any real money. He said most of them don't last a month.

I know this doesn't directly relate to the current Defender situation, however it does relate to warehouse work. They are not unionized by the way, although there have been numerous attempts to do so, the workers are not interested.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-09-2015, 09:33   #68

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Six chances is three too many. Over privileged, lazy work force. Maybe they should go flip burgers for $15hr....
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:20   #69

Sheldon must be rolling over in his grave. Defender was always one happy family. Now like too many American families it too has become dysfunctional.
tigerpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25   #70

Boat: Rafiki 37

'Drag them down! I work like a dog, so everyone should!! How dare they give their workers a living wage (which $12 is not) if it means I have to pay a little bit more for my yacht crap!!'

I shouldn't be surprised at the nastiness of some of the posts here ... but I am . How did so many of us become so mean-spirited, so ignorant, so naval-gazing? Actually, I think I know how ... which is why I'm going sailing .
Old 09-09-2015, 11:12   #71

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post

The obituary of the late Sheldon Lance will give you some idea, they don't make many like him, anymore... ;-)

Unlike Randy Repass, Stephan hasn't cashed out, and turned Defender over to the 'experts' who learned how to run businesses at Harvard, or Wharton, and who are now turning West Marine into a clothing emporium...

;-)

Sheldon Lance Obituary - New London, CT | The Day
No, no Jon, clearly you don't understand. WM is not being turned into a clothing emporium, but they are rather selling the boating lifestyle. Don't you see??

Excellent obit -- not just about the co.'s founder but how he created an entity which made yachting that much more accessible to those with less means.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:07   #72

Boat: Red Admiral, 1979 Holman Pye 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Yup, the combination of Defender, and United Parcel Service, has been an unbeatable combination, for me... But wait, how can that be? Aren't those UPS workers unionized, as well?
I can't live without Defender. I have a 'pro' discount at Fisheries but after checking with regular old Defender prices I realize the discount isn't really much of a discount.

These days I'm almost religiously against buying from WM and hate them with all my soul. There aren't enough expletives in the English language to describe how I feel about West Marine.

For last minute stuff I go to Fisheries or if it's something I'm not sure about and need to see in real life. Otherwise all my purchases are from Defender.

I hope they can keep doing what they are doing and the bean counters, sociopaths, and professional managers don't get a hold of the company as it seems they inevitably do.
korrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:33   #73

Boat: Luders 36

Back to how it effects us sailors. Just placed an order this afternoon, fairly large from a line count stand point, and web browser hung on enter payment screen. Customer service answered on second ring, offered to take order over the phone, I decided to do a little trouble shooting (just because I did want to sit on the phone for 20 minutes reading line items), so they asked for some screen shots to be emailed, which I did.

Turned out it was one item causing the problem.

Called back had them manually add the one line to the now processed web order. They told me at 15:11 that it would be out the door today!

So I am guessing strike is over.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:35   #74
DCF

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Placed an order with Defender yesterday late morning. I always get my orders the next day if I place them by about 4pm since I live in Pennsylvania. Joined this forum an hour later and saw this thread and got worried. I got a shipping confirmation last evening and the packages showed up on my door step this afternoon as usual.
DCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 15:50   #75

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by korrigan View Post
There aren't enough expletives in the English language to describe how I feel about West Marine.
I fear turning this thread into a WM hatefest, but can you explain the reasons?

P.S. As far as expletives go, English is just not all that expressive.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender